Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Axel-In-Charge - Oct 28, 2011

In this installment of CBR's regular discussion with Marvel E-i-C Axel Alonso, up-and-coming artist Ryan Stegman stops in to discuss his rise at Marvel, the legacy of "The Clone Saga" and the secrets of "Scarlet Spider."

Full article here.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Jean-Paul and Kyle certainly make quite the attractive couple.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

BANNED

These have become kind of uninteresting now.

So why was Alpha Flight axed? Well the answer is pick up similar books like Dexter, PunisherMAX and FuryMAX. I mena c'mon do you have to sue every question to sell something completely unrelated. How about a serious answer that answers fans worries other than hey how about you buy some of my favourite projects instead.

BANNED

Alonso: It's challenging, sure, but remember, for every title that's cancelled, there's another that's still going strong -- like "Venom" or "Journey Into Mystery" -- or poised to launch -- like "Scarlet Spider" or "Defenders." And it's not just Marvel Universe, either. "DeadpoolMAX" just launched a second season and details of Garth Ennis' upcoming "FuryMAX" series will be revealed very soon. We've got plenty of Icon books, including [Brian] Bendis and [Mark] Bagley's "Brilliant" and [Mark] Millar and JRJR's "Kick-Ass 2." And our licensed line is going strong; "Dexter" is just the beginning. So yes, the current market is tough, but there's still plenty of room to launch new series -- we just have to be extra-canny about how we play our cards. Accelerating the shipping schedule of our key monthly titles -- books that retailers know they can sell -- provides a foundation upon which to build. And our coming event -- which spans the entire Marvel Universe -- will present us with more opportunities to get new series, and characters, in play. We have lots coming. And remember, folks, "It's coming."

See this juts sounds like we aren't going to do anything about the problem, instead we're just going to carry on doing what we doing that makes it hard for new books to find their feet in this market. Namely flooding the market with hype driven books.

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf View Post
    These have become kind of uninteresting now.

So why was Alpha Flight axed? Well the answer is pick up similar books like Dexter, PunisherMAX and FuryMAX. I mena c'mon do you have to sue every question to sell something completely unrelated. How about a serious answer that answers fans worries other than hey how about you buy some of my favourite projects instead.

i think its two things

the guy that does these is way to soft, is always interested in what i think is the least intereseting thing... at least breavenport would cover up for it by bloviating at length about what he thought was intersesting... very rarely would he awnser the cbr's interviewers soft ball question... he would just grab a interesting subject in the question and ramble on about it

then also... this alonso guy is very uninteresting.. straight up, he does not come off through the interview as being to terrible interested in doing these

so what we get is... short uninteresting answers to short uninteresting questions

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerWannaBe View Post
    i think its two things

the guy that does these is way to soft, is always interested in what i think is the least intereseting thing... at least breavenport would cover up for it by bloviating at length about what he thought was intersesting... very rarely would he awnser the cbr's interviewers soft ball question... he would just grab a interesting subject in the question and ramble on about it

then also... this alonso guy is very uninteresting.. straight up, he does not come off through the interview as being to terrible interested in doing these

so what we get is... short uninteresting answers to short uninteresting questions

This might sound harsh but I think these interviews really reflect his choice of projects. Undewhelming at best.

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

im not a pound on marvel guy.... but this guy.. this guy, i just dont know about this guy

but.. im not going to allow myself to form a opinion on this man personally or his ability to do his job based on these interviews... interviews which i question the quality of

thats not fair

Default All Winners Squad finale

Question for Alonso next week:

Cancellations aren't uncommon, but (unlike Alpha Flight Iron Man 2.0) All Winner's Squad was a miniseries that was cut off without even a month's notice in the middle of a story arc building to a major revelation. Considering that the story and pencils for the remaining issues are already complete, where will the 7K+ readers be able to find the conclusion to the story in some format?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax View Post

Cancellations aren't uncommon, but (unlike Alpha Flight Iron Man 2.0) All Winner's Squad was a miniseries that was cut off without even a month's notice in the middle of a story arc building to a major revelation. Considering that the story and pencils for the remaining issues are already complete, where will the 7K+ readers be able to find the conclusion to the story in some format?
    Or maybe ask if when the audience is guaranteed an 8 issue series and it doesnt get completed why shouldnt they be able to return them.

Look I knew this would sell badly. Im sure a lot of people did. How can editors not realise that. Why should the consumer pay for the failings of Marvel editorial.

People who bought this have half a series which is completely pointless and a totla wasted of money. So nows that time to stand up and take responsibility for failing at your job Marvel. That is if you want people to continue to buy minis series when it seems there are no gurantees they will be complered.

BANNED

I think with the Alpha Fkight thing its not a question of a vook being axed but they way they dealt with the situation. Making it ongoing and a few weeks later axeing it.

Cool to hear about the Artist Training Program and the information for aspiring artists. I think that's a great thing for Marvel to have. And Ryan Stegman seems like a nice guy, who does solid work. Best of luck to him on the Scarlet Spider.

But yes, I was disappointed in the questions and answers about the layoffs and the book cancellations. Though, TBH, I guess I didn't expect Marvel to actually give a substantial information on either of them.

Though, this was kind of annoying:

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso
    So yes, the current market is tough, but there's still plenty of room to launch new series -- we just have to be extra-canny about how we play our cards.
    Why don't we see some of that "extra-canny" on books that need it? Like Alpha Flight and All Winners Squad? As I said elsewhere, the marketing push The Defenders is getting (which don't get me wrong, I'm hoping succeeds massively), makes me green with envy for other books.

What I find more frustrating is that Marvel is going for a massive event that ties all the franchise books together, that further promotes the idea that only these books and characters "matter," which pretty much ensures that non-franchise, non-event books won't succeed. Add their new policy of double shipping to the mix and reducing the number of mini-series (where we might actually get a story that didn't involve Cap, Iron Man, and Thor), and I don't have much hope for the future success of any but the A-list characters.

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

:

next time you want an AF book...BUY IT.
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax View Post

THIS. I'm one of the 7K+ readers of All Winners Squad and I'm really not happy about it getting cancelled mid-series. Especially when the same sort of thing happened to The Twelve. We're supposedly going to see the end of that series, so why not All Winners Squad?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf View Post
    Or maybe ask if when the audience is guaranteed an 8 issue series and it doesnt get completed why shouldnt they be able to return them.

People who bought this have half a series which is completely pointless and a totla wasted of money. So nows that time to stand up and take responsibility for failing at your job Marvel. That is if you want people to continue to buy minis series when it seems there are no gurantees they will be complered.
    I can't believe I'm agreeing with you Saberwulf, but this is an excellent suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by ian33407 View Post
    :

next time you want an AF book...BUY IT.
    I bought both Alpha Flight and All Winners Squad, thank you.

Fingers crossed this is a hint we'll be seeing some Dini penned Marvel comics in 2012!