Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superman #2

We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

Default Superman #2

I'm liking this book very much.

Again, we get a take action, butt-kicking Superman saving the day. I feel like a kid again reading the classics so I'm loving this so far and I'll be sad when Perez leaves.

Quick Spoilers:

spoilers:

- Clark and Lois talk about their careers
    - Superman is trying to figure out the origin of the Fire Creature from last issue
    - General Ross 2.0 hates Superman
    - We see a Hispanic Homeless Man get pursued by a new creature and possessed.
    - Superman fights a creature that he is not able to see or hear, but humans and the cameras can. Lois figures it out and instructs Jimmy to point the Cameras on the monster at all time so Superman is able to see the creature as well.
    - Superman saves an airship full of people and defeats the monster. When questioning the creature, it speaks to him in the same fashion the fire creature did and all he got out of it was 'Krypton'
    end of spoilers

Only thing I don't like is General Lane. DC can be more original than that.

9.5 out of 10
    Last edited by godzilla2099; 10-28-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Okay, spoilers from here, boys.

SPOILERS ON

Clark needs to stop declining social gigs because he has better things to do. Here, it's more clumsy than anything (since Perez tries real hard to establish he is a social crusadist), but I want to see him cover these stuffs.

The issue was a bit like issue one, there is clearly some mystery going on with the monsters, bit we don't know much about it yet. The invisible monster fight was more fun than I thought it would be, there was a panel where Sup is doing a flying kick while carrying the....balloon(?) that made me laugh.
    Overall, Superman here seemed....well not moody, but introspective. But he can kick ass if he needs to.

And we do know he has a Fortress of Solitude now.

SPOILERS OFF.

I liked it. It felt...well classical. A bit like the Bruce Timm Series from the 90's.
    Now, it would need for the main plot to advance to a bit more than "elemental monster attacks Superman".
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Meh I as bored with this issue....too much waffling
    Jimmy always saves it for me...

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalX View Post
    Meh I as bored with this issue....too much waffling
    Jimmy always saves it for me...
    I agree I found it a bit boring as well. And General lane continues to be an asshole.

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

I didn't like it as much as #1. I thought Clark refusing to go check out the homeless man was a bit too angsty and I'm really hating the running narration now in both issues and I hope this isn't going to be a constant thing.

I also disliked the electronic 'eyes' thing... not a big deal but dunking the creature in paint or something would've made more sense... it just seemed a bit contrived.

But I'll stick around until Perez is done and we see what comes after that.
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

I thought it was a hoot and the artwork is just spectacular. The mystery of the aliens deepens and so does the amount of doodoo the Man of Steel is getting into. 2 months in and this is still my absolute favorite book of the new 52.
    Did Wonder Woman and Superman just catch an aircraft carrier?

Holy Book Overload Batman Earth2Invincible's Avatar

I thought it was great, couldn't believe that once again this title had more story and action than most of the titles these days. For example, I read Aquaman in less than a min because of the lack of action while it took me a few minutes for this issue, which I thoroughly enjoyed doing.

Then again, I don't mind the old ways of storytelling.
    Pull List:The good kind of books.

The thing with older books having alot of words is there's a charm that goes along with it. The older styled art, the more innocent characters, hell, even the smell of the paper. But with this modern looking book with all these words. So many more than any modern book I can remember.

That being said... I enjoyed the book a great deal I thought it was neat to have a villain Superman can't see, and going into the electronics store was really cool. I like the book and I'm sticking around.

BANNED

Superman being angry and moody all the time is getting old. Hes not even Superman any more, or at least doesnt behave like it in this title.

"Sure, whatever."

Since when the hell does Superman talk like that? This reboot ruined the flagship character or atleast in this title. Atleast Grant Morrison's Superman has depth (And I dont even like that, but I can deal with it). This is just a pathetic attempt to make him look cool or w/e. Because negative people are badass.

He didnt even smile once in this issue. His emotions range from Angry Scowl>Angry Scowl> Angry frustrated scowl> Emo Kent> Angry Kent> Angry Scowl

And I find the giant abnormal circular glasses and that ridiculous haircut thats just that; ridiculous. The first version they had drawn out with the modern glasses was great for modernizing up design, and so was the slick back hair because it offer the contrast of Clark being professional looking and does his hair when hes Clark to maintain neat appearance and made sense when he just let it be when hes Superman since when youre in a fight you dont exactly have to worry about your hair being done up.

But they didnt even do that, they go with a ridiculous haircut no man would ever sport and glasses that looked like they come off the 6 flags 70 year old mascot.

Also that Jesus guy can draw, but he can draw everything but feet/lower legs. Look at all the shots of Superman legs, the bottom 3rd always looks awkward.

Complete disappointment, this is a terrible atrocious book in my views. Mainly because of what they done to Superman.

For everyone else since people dont really care too much for Superman now a days, and if you dont mind how the character is in this book then I'd imagine it would be an avarage/decent book for you since overall production isnt too atrocious.
    Last edited by Esoteric J; 10-26-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCoyote View Post
    I thought it was a hoot and the artwork is just spectacular. The mystery of the aliens deepens and so does the amount of doodoo the Man of Steel is getting into. 2 months in and this is still my absolute favorite book of the new 52.
    I liked it too. Thought it was MUCH better than the previous issue. I am a huge fan of Action Comics but I am starting to dig this title too.

Fantastic issue! I'm enjoying pretty much every aspect of this book.

i was unhappy with issue 1. i really didn't like cover to that one, thought it was a poor creative team and on and on. but with this issue i came to accept i was expecting maybe the wrong thing out of superman and just taking it as a classic kind of comic, it was, if not a hoot, a very pleasant read. i liked it a lot for what it was, both in writing and art. i was disappointed with the first issue for a main part because i had thought as a flagship for the new DC it didn't deliver but i don't think it is a flagship, really. he's an icon and i guess it's an iconic comic. this is a good superman comic, is what i am trying to say. and i don't mind the wordiness because as people say, other comics are real quick reads and i've gone from thinking perez was wrong to thinking he is a good choice for this classic iconic comic and it is too bad he's leaving.

The only problem I have with this is Superman, he comes across as unlikeable, detached and well alien (yeah I know he is an alien, but I have been reading Superman for years and the only time he as seemed alien was when the Eradicator was controlling him), it's like reading about a nicer Hyperion, Lois and Clark were good, I like Clark in this as he kind of has the same vibe as the John Byrne Clark, but Superman is just awful.

So I liked everything about this Superman comic except for Superman.
    Where in the world is Wally West?

This issue was great fun. Felt meaty and fast paced. Very old-school (though I can't really define why it feels so).
    I as well would prefer a happier Superman, but I REALLY liked how Lois was able to help Superman fight even from behind a desk. Her character seems to be in good hands.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I really like the fast pace Perez is giving SUPERMAN, it's almost a newsroom feel. All the focus on information, which seems weird at first for Superman, but upon some thought, works utterly perfectly. It gives a reason for Clark to be a reporter, it feels like he is.

The interplay between Sam Lane and Kal was great too, I'm very interested to see what their relationship is like in the DCnU. Especially after he oversaw such a brutal torture of Superman, in Action Comics.

I love this book.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-27-2011 at 03:33 AM.