Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is Thor too strong for the Avengers?

Seeing how he is dead again, is Thor too strong for the Avengers and that's why they keep killing him off and keeping him away? I seen people ask why do you need the Avengers when you have Thor, and the threats like newest Norman operation would be q breeze for Thor to smash through. Hell, Cable has a chance against the Qvengers because Thor is dead. So the bottom line is, does Marvel continually kill Thor so that the Avengers can be useful?

Thor being missing during big moments and coming in to save the day is a regular Avengers occurrence. Not sure why they'd kill him again so soon, but the eternal optimist in me expects it to be for the best
    Marvel: Defenders, Secret Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, & Wolverine & The X-Men

DC: Action Comics, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batman, Flash

Though characters at Thor's power level can certainly be a challenge to write at their full potential, I'm assuming the decision to kill of Thor was purely story driven.

Thor does regularly leave the team anyways without having to kill him off. And even when he's around, it's not at all uncomon for him to operate by default a notch or two below his full potential.

For what it's worth, I don't think Thor being too powerful has been an issue in any of Bendis story arcs on Avengers so far. The Avengers have faced some pretty high end threats which (Poccy and the Horsemen, Galactus, Hood with the IG) where even Thor is going to have his hands ful.

Thor gets killed and revived regularly. He just died, but come early next year he'll come back again for that Avengers title that uses the movie lineup. :)
    Top10 DCnU Titles:
    Week 1: Animal Man, Swamp Thing
    Week 2: Demon Knights
    Week 3: Batman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Catwoman
    Week 4: Aquaman, Flash, All Star Western

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Seeing how he is dead again, is Thor too strong for the Avengers and that's why they keep killing him off and keeping him away? I seen people ask why do you need the Avengers when you have Thor, and the threats like newest Norman operation would be q breeze for Thor to smash through. Hell, Cable has a chance against the Qvengers because Thor is dead. So the bottom line is, does Marvel continually kill Thor so that the Avengers can be useful?
    No, they keep killing Thor because they can't decide on a version of Thor and Asgard that suits them. Jurgens wrote a Thor as All Father and took it as far as he could.

JMS backed away from Thor as all father and hit the reset button on him power wise.

Fraction brought Odin back and gave us Loki as a kid.

They just don't know what to do with Thor.

The Avengers have nothing to do with it.

If Thor is to strong for the Avengers so is the Hulk. And Thor really is not that storng. It really is the Hammer thats hold the power. Thor without Mjhonir is probably strong but would probably lose to Iron Man.

And also if Bendis can write Sentry in the Avengers I can't see how Thor is to powerful. But if this the reason why he is gone again I mean he was barely there for a year. I think he's in 12 issues of Avengers. Anyways that just means that Bendis sucks at writting Thor and i'm not to surprise.
    "Some people look to the past for answers. I look to the future for solutions." --- SJH

Quote Originally Posted by NYAvenger15 View Post
    If Thor is to strong for the Avengers so is the Hulk. And Thor really is not that storng. It really is the Hammer thats hold the power. Thor without Mjhonir is probably strong but would probably lose to Iron Man.

And also if Bendis can write Sentry in the Avengers I can't see how Thor is to powerful. But if this the reason why he is gone again I mean he was barely there for a year. I think he's in 12 issues of Avengers. Anyways that just means that Bendis sucks at writting Thor and i'm not to surprise.
    I don't think Bendis is the problem though. He didn't die in Bendis' book, he died in Fractions event.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't think Bendis is the problem though. He didn't die in Bendis' book, he died in Fractions event.
    Technically, he did die in Avengers Disassembled, if written by Oeming, although it's not like Oemming doesn't have some strong ties to Bendis.

Jeebus, has Fraction been all over the place with Thor, though. The direction changes completely every six issues. OK, figure that would happen when he takes over the book. But then it went in a completely different zone when they relaunched it. And now it's completely different again. Asgard's on Earth, it's in Asgard, it's on Earth, it's on Asgard, Thor is king, no wait, it's Odin, no wait, it's neither!
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Technically, he did die in Avengers Disassembled, if written by Oeming, although it's not like Oemming doesn't have some strong ties to Bendis.

Jeebus, has Fraction been all over the place with Thor, though. The direction changes completely every six issues. OK, figure that would happen when he takes over the book. But then it went in a completely different zone when they relaunched it. And now it's completely different again. Asgard's on Earth, it's in Asgard, it's on Earth, it's on Asgard, Thor is king, no wait, it's Odin, no wait, it's neither!
    Fraction has only had 2 arcs of his run so far plus Fear Itself which for being an event about Thor had very little character development for Thor in it. Although, neither did the Galactus arc really and the World Eaters stuff was minimal.

I like Asgard on Earth. I like Volstagg on Earth. I like Broxton. I like Kelda. But all that is never really exploited to its full potential. I'm still wondering why he opened a new Thor series by focusing on Galactus and the Silver Surfer. Perhaps the new Thor series should have started with the start of Fraction's run 7 issues earlier. That set up what the dynamics were between the characters.

Thor is without a doubt one of the strongest.

He's like a controlled version of the Sentry that holds back a lot and has a divine attack that's a sky father power level or above attack.

But in fiction it isn't really a question for to powerful as the writer can always come up with many defining variables for failure. Like holding back, fear for hurting friends etc etc.

Or power weakening or depleting/handicapping Thor in power.

Or creating a villain that's the characters kryptonite.

Or just flat out have a villain who's in the same power level or completely more powerful. Or just creating a new villain that is more powerful. Or even a villain who is not more powerful but has a ability that can render Thor useless.

So many options its almost moot on power scaling anyways.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

I'm not sure if its really a case of Thor being too strong (the Red Hulk is as strong as him) as it is what Fraction has in store for him (which i hope is good).

That being said, it does seem that writers have a problem writing Thor in the team. I've mentioned in the past that outside of Red Hulk and Ms Marvel, Thor is disproportionately powerful compared to the rest of the team and writers seem to have trouble managing him in certain scenarios.

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Thor is definitely powerful, but if you put him in with other Avengers like Dr Strange (up to WWH), Sentry, Gilgamesh, Hercules, Wonder Man, Hulk, Rulk, Quasar, Nova-Prime and even high-end Iron Man, Giant Man and Ms Marvel stuff, he's not completely off the scale. Hell, Sentry was more powerful than Thor.

It's just about writing stories that can cope with characters of that power-level (i.e. not having the Sorceror Supreme fight ninjas), and balancing things out within the team.

No. Some people just don't know how to write the guy. That's the problem.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

Well.... dont they still have Red Hulk? That's pretty much following the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Well.... dont they still have Red Hulk? That's pretty much following the same problem.
    And he fit's in even less than Thor does.