Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Grimm

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    I agree about the characters. There's too little time spent on them as opposed to the story. The partner for example, 3 episodes in, he still seems completely interchangeable with any other random department cop. The girlfriend doesn't seem to be anything more than a sounding board for the lead. With the lead not confiding in anyone, I don't see it improving either. It's not a good sign that I can't for the life of me remember most of the
    names yet.

Another thing that bugs me is that the fairytale theme doesn't seem to be more than a convenient coatrack for a monster-of-the-week parade just yet.

So far, Once Upon a Time is winning out for me.
    I'm fine with the monster of the week theme here and the ongoing mystery they have going on.

Ok, the big bad wolf was obvious, the bears were very Goldilocks, but what are messenger bees from?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boyhangover View Post
    You don't know that is what they did. As you may have noticed a few posts up I pointed out that Buffy did the fairy tales are real episode a long time ago. The concept isn't new.

If the show was about a short order cook who dreamed the future and talked to elvis then you could say they ripped off Dead Koontz. This is just a coincidence.
    He's talking about a different Koontz book rather than the Odd Thomas books, and I do see the similarities (Twilight Eyes was about a guy who was the only person who could see beneath the 'masks' monstrous goblin creatures wore to appear human and who was dedicated to killing them in defense of humanity). However, nothing new under the sun holds true here too I feel, and Twilight Eyes was far from Koontz's most original work. I think its pretty safe to call it a coincidence rather than a deliberate riffing.
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

my overall opinion of the show is that the lead is a miscast. i don't buy him as an investigator. and there's just something really artificial about him. shows like this succeed or fail with casting. David Duchovny as Mulder was brilliant. brandon-routh-lookalike as a grimm; not so much. if he were more interesting, i'd tune in. heck, if his partner were the lead i'd probably be a little more positive about the series. maybe they should have gone w/ a female lead like Buffy.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Cause what this show needs is more similarities to other, better things.
    I am wrath. I am hate. I am righteous vengeance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    He's talking about a different Koontz book rather than the Odd Thomas books, and I do see the similarities (Twilight Eyes was about a guy who was the only person who could see beneath the 'masks' monstrous goblin creatures wore to appear human and who was dedicated to killing them in defense of humanity). However, nothing new under the sun holds true here too I feel, and Twilight Eyes was far from Koontz's most original work. I think its pretty safe to call it a coincidence rather than a deliberate riffing.
    I didn't mean they were pulling from odd thomas I just meant if they had pulled from that character and made it blatently obvious then he could complain. Here I don't think you could complain that they are stealing from Koontz because he was far from the first person to do the detective investigates fairie tales senario.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Capsizing Heart View Post
    Cause what this show needs is more similarities to other, better things.
    couldn't hurt.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    my overall opinion of the show is that the lead is a miscast. i don't buy him as an investigator. and there's just something really artificial about him. shows like this succeed or fail with casting. David Duchovny as Mulder was brilliant. brandon-routh-lookalike as a grimm; not so much. if he were more interesting, i'd tune in. heck, if his partner were the lead i'd probably be a little more positive about the series. maybe they should have gone w/ a female lead like Buffy.

The lead looks like what a fashion designer would think a cop looks like. When I look at that guy I keep thinking of the South Park Episode where every guy in town wanted to look metrosexual.

I don't get why these days we rarely see more actors like Duchovny who were so genuine and real in what they were doing.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Tonight episode wasn't all that great but tomorrows looks to be a little better only because it seems like its going to focus on the "Big Bad Wolf" guy.

I really don't like that every "bad thing" in this shows real appearance is some kind of animal. I dont mind so much the Wolf or the Bear but the idea that the pied piper of Hamlin is some wired rat monster? They didnt even explain how the music controls the rats. This could have been the perfect opportunity to branch out and have the Violin or Flute just be a magic item that the kid got his hands on and rather then manipulating rats lets have it manipulate people but not necessarily to kill someone because their are more things a "bad person" can do besides murder. It would have been a much more interesting episode if there were some mind control elements because they missed an awesome opportunity with the last episode where the guy just crated the woman he used his power on.

At least the girlfriend is starting to catch on about the whole Grimm thing but that only makes me realize that we the audience don't know much about the whole Grimm thing when by now we should have a whole mythology beyond the little the main characters aunt told us. What do the monsters see when they see the Grimms? Why do the Grimms have such a horrible reputation when the aunt made it clear that they only hunt "the bad ones". Why havent we seen flashbacks to other Grimms? What allows the Grimms to see the monsters for what they really are? It bothers me that the main character isnt asking these questions.

Someone above said that this show should take some notes from Buffy and I completely agree. We need more of all the things that made Buffy great like Mythology, characters with personality, and a main cast who is in the loop with all the hijinx going on.

No way will Grimm ever be like Buffy. Grimm has a really boring wooden lead character , a cast of really boring characters, even the wolf is getting kind of dull and the case files , well - they are pretty dull as well.

I'm close to dropping this series. Even Supernatural , with its numerous PIS and CIS in the series , never got that dull.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Why do the Grimms have such a horrible reputation when the aunt made it clear that they only hunt "the bad ones".
    I think the show's just trying to turn the ideas of folklore and cautionary tales on their heads. Just as humans have been telling stories about big bad wolves (blutbaden) and wicked witches (hexinbiests) for ages to scare the crap out of kids, apparently the various creatures have been telling scary stories about Grimms to each other for ages.
    Last edited by AdamYJ; 12-09-2011 at 07:04 PM.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

I find the episodes quite dull. The only interesting thing is the bigger picture with the police captain and the Hexenbiest, but it is not enough. I hope the show speeds up soon or I will drop it.

I do not get why the monsters are afraid of the Grimm. The Grimm are able to see monsters, so what? They do not have any superpowers, so what prevents the monsters from killing them.
    Three armed cops and a writer makes four. You’re under arrest, so get on the floor.

Master Yoda on clubbing: "Always two there are, no more, no less: a hot chick and her fat friend."

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    I find the episodes quite dull. The only interesting thing is the bigger picture with the police captain and the Hexenbiest, but it is not enough. I hope the show speeds up soon or I will drop it.

I do not get why the monsters are afraid of the Grimm. The Grimm are able to see monsters, so what? They do not have any superpowers, so what prevents the monsters from killing them.
    I guess its like the guy above said about how its the fact that the Grimms are just the boogymen for all the monsters and whatnot. The show needs to explain more about this kind of stuff though. We need a better grasp of the universe.

I think the show also needs an explanation for why these Monsters seem to be in such great numbers around where the main character lives. His aunt seemed to travel to hunt them but this guy doesnt seem to worry about the monsters because they all just show up around him. With Buffy we had the Hellmouth as an explanation for why so many Vampires and Demons were in sunnydale.
    This show just needs to be more thought out if it is going to appeal to the people who would actually watch something like this.
    Last edited by JayBee; 12-09-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Skill and reputation seem like understandable reasons to fear the Grimm.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    their are more things a "bad person" can do besides murder. It would have been a much more interesting episode if there were some mind control elements because they missed an awesome opportunity with the last episode where the guy just crated the woman he used his power on.
    The problem is that Nick is a homocide detective. If a crime doesn't involve a body then more than likely it's not going to pop up on his radar. I guess he could go into full Grimm mode and track down every creature but I get the impression he wants to keep some semblance of a normal life. That's why he's limiting his hunting to his day job.
    "Honest Abe's a 'mo!" - Hank Venture from the Venture Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Skill and reputation seem like understandable reasons to fear the Grimm.
    The reputation has to come from somewhere, and so far I do not see from where.

The thing is, no matter how skilled a Grimm is, he is still fighting against enemies, who are superior in numbers, who are in most cases stronger and have strange abilities. So he should die in short time. I do not see for example why the Blutbaden are afraid of the Grimm, when one Blutbaden is more powerful than a Grimm. A Grimm might take out one Blutbaden with superior skill and weapons, but I do not think this is enough to bring such terror to the Blutbaden and the other monsters. So what made the whole supernatural community be afraid of the Grimm? I would understand respect, but not such fear.

Buffy for example had her super strength, which made her stronger than a vampire.

We are afraid of mythological creatures like vampires, werewolves. But unlike the Grimm whose only ability is the power to see monsters (and this only when the monsters are agitated), those are creatures who are supposed to have supernatural powers and are superior to humans.

So the show should explain where the repution of the Grimm comes from or give the guy some supernatural abilities.
    Three armed cops and a writer makes four. You’re under arrest, so get on the floor.

Master Yoda on clubbing: "Always two there are, no more, no less: a hot chick and her fat friend."