Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Grimm

BANNED

One of the best episodes of Buffy Is Gingerbread where Joice goes slaying with Buffy and discovers the two dead bodies of Hansel and Grettel and Giles explains that there is a fringe theory, held by a few folklorists, that some regional stories have actual, very literal antecedents in other words Fairy tales are real. I always thought they should have explored that more. Now they are just with a different show.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    First episode: wolfish antagonist kidnapping people to hurt them and another wolfish character who disapproves of that kind of behavior and helps the hero.

Second episode: bearish antagonist kidnapping people to hurt them and another bearish character who disapproves of that kind of behavior and helps the hero.

Really now.
    I don't have a problem with it. It goes to show not all monsters are well .... monsters. Besides they had different motivations for helping. Bear dad didn't want to see his son commit murder. Wolf character had to be coerced into helping.
    "Honest Abe's a 'mo!" - Hank Venture from the Venture Bros.

Only watched the first half, more or less. From what I saw - boring story and the usual weak execution. Not worth my time, especially with my already big watching and reading list.
    I don't know what to consider canon anymore :(
    Comicmofo
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...1#post17765682

Great episode! The effects are still kinda crappy, the monsters randomly morphing is weird and the 'something bad is coming' thing is so cliched it hurts.

That aside though, the writing was really tight this episode, so I found myself on a real thrill ride.

I was kinda hoping that he'd lower his weapon and just let the bee woman kill the hot blonde though, would have made for a more interesting dynamic that they were seemingly building towards but never followed through with.
    Last edited by Capsizing Heart; 11-12-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    I am wrath. I am hate. I am righteous vengeance.

Reminds me far too much of Dean Koontz's novel "Twilight Eyes" to the point where it is distracting. I enjoy the show, but I really wish they would've adapted that instead, rather then hacking the best parts from it and splicing in other stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by iRacingRyan View Post
    Reminds me far too much of Dean Koontz's novel "Twilight Eyes" to the point where it is distracting. I enjoy the show, but I really wish they would've adapted that instead, rather then hacking the best parts from it and splicing in other stuff.
    You don't know that is what they did. As you may have noticed a few posts up I pointed out that Buffy did the fairy tales are real episode a long time ago. The concept isn't new.

If the show was about a short order cook who dreamed the future and talked to elvis then you could say they ripped off Dead Koontz. This is just a coincidence.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capsizing Heart View Post
    You mean aside from it going back to the monster of the week format as the brothers travel from town to town taking down street level monsters? Oh wait yeah, that was the first two seasons of Supernatural.
    No, that's every season of Supernatural. They've always done the occasional random monster take down in the midst of all of the other over-arching storylines. That's hardly a new wrinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    No, that's every season of Supernatural. They've always done the occasional random monster take down in the midst of all of the other over-arching storylines. That's hardly a new wrinkle.
    Yeah maybe for the occasional filler ep or two, but not the entire series which this series has been so far.

Yeah maybe for the occasional filler ep or two, but not the entire series which this series has been so far.
    What's the big deal? We're on episode 3. This is also a cop drama so the case/monster of the week formula goes hand in hand with this format. Besides they even have the obligatory conspiracy plot and the looming big bad storyline on top of the monster of the week stuff.

Am i the only one that was upset that Grimm (I forget the characters real name) didnt shoot the evil blonde lady that poisoned him and almost killed his grandmother? It seems like he made the wrong choice.

I also think he should let his partner know whats going on because if he doesnt then he is just going to have to waste time every episode ditching his partner and going back to the scene of the crime with the werewolf. He needs a Scooby gang ala Buffy.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Am i the only one that was upset that Grimm (I forget the characters real name) didnt shoot the evil blonde lady that poisoned him and almost killed his grandmother? It seems like he made the wrong choice.

I also think he should let his partner know whats going on because if he doesnt then he is just going to have to waste time every episode ditching his partner and going back to the scene of the crime with the werewolf. He needs a Scooby gang ala Buffy.
    Me! I thought the writing for that scene was balls. He needs to tell his partner or this is gonna get stupid as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    What's the big deal? We're on episode 3. This is also a cop drama so the case/monster of the week formula goes hand in hand with this format. Besides they even have the obligatory conspiracy plot and the looming big bad storyline on top of the monster of the week stuff.
    Huh? Me and Kal were talking about Supernatural.

Huh? Me and Kal were talking about Supernatural.
    My apologies.

I actually think going by the latest episode that Grimm has much better writing when it comes to a good ole mystery to solve. I think the reason this show is falling down is it is failing to make such memorable and loveable characters that Supernatural has under its belt.

I think the scene when the main generic brown haired attractive lead guy who is so bland I forgot his name said 'good boy' to the werewolf is the first time he's shown ANY character in three whole episodes.

Sing while you may

I agree about the characters. There's too little time spent on them as opposed to the story. The partner for example, 3 episodes in, he still seems completely interchangeable with any other random department cop. The girlfriend doesn't seem to be anything more than a sounding board for the lead. With the lead not confiding in anyone, I don't see it improving either. It's not a good sign that I can't for the life of me remember most of the
    names yet.

Another thing that bugs me is that the fairytale theme doesn't seem to be more than a convenient coatrack for a monster-of-the-week parade just yet.

So far, Once Upon a Time is winning out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    I agree about the characters. There's too little time spent on them as opposed to the story. The partner for example, 3 episodes in, he still seems completely interchangeable with any other random department cop. The girlfriend doesn't seem to be anything more than a sounding board for the lead. With the lead not confiding in anyone, I don't see it improving either. It's not a good sign that I can't for the life of me remember most of the
    names yet.

Another thing that bugs me is that the fairytale theme doesn't seem to be more than a convenient coatrack for a monster-of-the-week parade just yet.

So far, Once Upon a Time is winning out for me.
    Yeah, I expected a two guys hunting monsters ala Supernatural thing. But so far the partner is just kinda...there. And at least characters like Jess in Supernatural provided momentum for the story, there was no need to even go into the main guys home life in this show if it has nothing to do with the actual story.

I also find as well that the monster of the week thing also seems to be a coatrack for the fact they made just another cop show but realised there are enough already so it wouldn't sell so they decided to just edit in a few scenes of people dressed as monsters. Like what fairytale was this weeks meant to be? I only knew last weeks was Goldilocks because someone said in this thread.