Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Grimm

Five of us watched it together, and to a person, agreed it was better than 'Once Upon a Time'.

Beautifully shot (loved that 'mossy' look), well-cast, free of annoying cinematic trickery like tilted cameras and super-quick cutting and with a sound track that could actually be heard and understood (yeah, I'm looking at you, Once Upon a Time) we all really liked it.

Yes, the 'Buffy' vibe was very evident - 2 of the creators are veterans of that show.

I really appreciated the non-macho, non-snarky, respectful camaraderie between the two lead policemen. And I thought they set up the overarcing mythos pretty well. The SPFX were very nicely done too.

I hope the ratings turn out to be good.

The guy marking his territory made me laugh and after Nick and his aunt got attacked I was like "man, he really needs a Watcher".

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    It was okay. A harmless piece of diverting entertainment. But I don't expect it to last long. It's got pretty much everything (not related to the actual quality of the show) working against it.

I also found it kind of funny that, prior to it's debut, people were all worked up about how it was a rip on Fables. Well, it turns out, it's actually a rip on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but with Big Bad Wolves instead of Vampires.
    Are the wolves supposed to be the main bad guys? I was under the impression that Nick was seeing different types of baddies. Some were wolves. Some looked like trolls. The female assassin looked like a zombie.

As for the ep, it was better than Once Upon A Time but that's not exactly setting the bar very high. It's not bad but I felt it was a little too campy. Sure it's a show about fairy tale but I was expecting something a little grittier.
    "Honest Abe's a 'mo!" - Hank Venture from the Venture Bros.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Are the wolves supposed to be the main bad guys? I was under the impression that Nick was seeing different types of baddies. Some were wolves. Some looked like trolls. The female assassin looked like a zombie.
    Don't know if the wolves are the main baddies, but they were the only ones that got any talking up, and the dialogue suggested that there were more of them around. Besides, Buffy fought a lot of stuff other than vampires.

I actually liked Once Upon a Time quite a bit more than this. Grimm looks to be another entry in the "freak of the week" monster fighter show, and while they can be entertaining, they also tend to be rather homogenous, esp in the early stages.
    Last edited by kalorama; 10-29-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I actually liked Once Upon a Time quite a bit more than this. Grimm looks to be another entry in the "freak of the week" monster fighter show, and while they can be entertaining, they also tend to be rather homogenous, esp in the early stages.
    I liked Once Upon a Time better too. This show was okay, but I wasn't crazy about it. Grimm seems to be more of a monster show as far as I can see, drawing on the darker side of fairy tales. Once Upon a Time has some dark stuff with the wicked Queen and Rumplestiltskin, but it also had a certain sense of wonder to it, as well. Neither take is necessarily better than the other, but the latter is just more my kind of thing.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Quote Originally Posted by boyhangover View Post
    As for what I have seen of the pilot so far. Hottest Red Riding Hood Ever

Dude, she's like eight.

Anyway, the show wasn't bad. Not going to stop watching Supernatural for it, but I'll check it out On Demand when I have the time.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Dude, she's like eight.

Anyway, the show wasn't bad. Not going to stop watching Supernatural for it, but I'll check it out On Demand when I have the time.
    I meant the college girl smart ass.

This first ep was more interesting than Once Upon a Time to me. It used the bad wolves well, Grimm history. It was a good pilot that showed potential what the show will be about. I saw it most as Supernatural weekly monster kind of thing and its not easy making that work every week.

What can ruin it for me is if the lead actor isnt good enough or if the monsters are not challenging, dangerous enough.

The wolf they took down was not much of a challenge.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bennett View Post
    Beautifully shot (loved that 'mossy' look), well-cast, free of annoying cinematic trickery like tilted cameras and super-quick cutting and with a sound track that could actually be heard and understood (yeah, I'm looking at you, Once Upon a Time) we all really liked it.
    I had no audio issues with Once Upon a Time.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boyhangover View Post
    As for what I have seen of the pilot so far. Hottest Red Riding Hood Ever
    Have you seen Once Upon a Time? Ruby = yowza!

I can't wait to see episode 2 this week. Episode 1 was probably one of the stronger pilots I've seen in a while (it didn't surpass the pilot for Alphas, though), but it was just the first episode. Given the writing team, I think the show should be able to improve over the next few episodes and hopefully move away from the "monster of the week" theme. It'll work for a little while we get acquainted with the universe, but I don't think it'll sustain the show in the long run.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

BANNED

All new Grimm tonight. The title of the episode is Bears Will Be Bears. I'm pretty sure I saw some headline some where about the episode being just right so I am assuming Goldy Locks and the Three Bears.

I keep thinking Claire Coffee is Summer Glau for some reason? In last nights episode the boys running through the woods in bear form looked more like bigfoot than bears.

It was okay. A bit better than the pilot in my opinion. Interesting take on Goldilocks (which, I should note, is not actually a Grimm's Fairy Tale). I really hope that not all the fairy tale characters/creatures are monsters or reformed monsters. This show gets the scary aspect of classic fairy tales down, but not the wonder, magic and crazy fantasy concepts. That's why I like Once Upon a Time a little better so far. That show embraces more of the whole package of the classic tales.

Also, and I know this may sound weird, but I'm not crazy about the whole "Grimms as monster hunters" idea. I've seen a number of takes on this idea. The Brothers Grimm movie had them as con artists turned reluctant heroes. The "Sisters Grimm" books has them as detectives. Now this show has them as a combination of profiler and monster hunter. I'm actually much more impressed by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm's actual history as scholars, linguists, philologists, German patriots and the first guys to set down the rules for scholarly folklore collection. Maybe it's just my own scholarly side.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    It was okay. A bit better than the pilot in my opinion.
    My sentiment exactly.

Good concept, but the execution is generic.

The main character is boring and lacks personality, very weak screen presence.

Good thing the werewolf makes up for that (keeping the German names of the monsters is a bizarre decision, I think).

Good combination with the procedural this time, especially with the "know your ancestors" part, even though the story felt a bit diluted.

The writing is rather lazy given the potential, but still better than in Terra Nova (which, granted, isn't hard to achieve).

And if we're going to compare, I like OUAT much, much more - better writing, better acting, better lines, better characters.
    (Actually, the only two new shows I really enjoy are Once Upon A Time and American Horror Story).
    Last edited by passer-by; 11-05-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    I don't know what to consider canon anymore :(
    Comicmofo
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...1#post17765682

I really want to like this show. I love the whole paranormal TV show thing and it is nice to see a show like Supernatural with actual monsters.

But I'm already watching Supernatural and I'm already emotionally involved with those characters, so when I watch this show, which is so similar I just find it hard to make myself care.