Page 14 of 96 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    Who is this Dr. Whale?
    I didn't notice that was his name. I am assuming he is the whale that swallowed Pinochio. Just a guess.

I was assuming that James' intended was Cinderella since both her and Snow had a prince Charming in the disney version. But since the previews showed Jessy Schram as Cinderella I have no clue who Candace (I think that was who she was in the real world) could be.

Quote Originally Posted by WantsToBeLikeSuperman View Post
    So is this show actually good? 'Cuz I'm a huge fan of Fables. I half watched tonight's episode but I didn't know what the hell was going on. All I know is that this series was most likely adapted from that Fables series that was being considered on ABC a few years ago.

Again, I didn't really know what was going on. My dad has a few episodes recorded on DVR though, so I should probably watch those.
    I'm liking it. You might want to start with the pilot episode, though.

Anyway, basic rundown of the premise: In a far away land of fairy tales, Snow White is about to marry Prince Charming when the Evil Queen casts a terrible curse that sends all the fairy tale characters to a place where they are stripped of their happy endings. According to prophecy, the only person who can break the curse is the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, named Emma. Right before the curse takes effect, baby Emma is sent away. Years later, in our world, a bail bondswoman named Emma Swan is confronted by a young boy named Henry claiming to be her son that she gave up for adoption years ago. He also claims that Emma is the one who can break the curse on the town of Storybrook that is filled with fairy tale characters who don't remember who they are. They go to Storybrook where, among other complications, it turns out that Henry is the adopted son of the mayor who was the Evil Queen a lifetime ago. Very few people believe Henry, but Emma comes around to wanting to help him anyway.

And that's more or less all you need to know.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

The intro says the Queen is the only one who remembers. I had assumed she had some inkling about things, perhaps a sense that the book was more truthful than it would seem, but not that her memory is fully intact.

Is there a version of Snow White where she spent time as a thief?

The preview for next week puts Rumplestilskin in Cinderella's past.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The intro says the Queen is the only one who remembers. I had assumed she had some inkling about things, perhaps a sense that the book was more truthful than it would seem, but not that her memory is fully intact.

Is there a version of Snow White where she spent time as a thief?
    Not that I know of. However, there is an Italian variant called "Bella Venezia" (name of the Evil Queen analogue, not the Snow White analogue) in which she hides out with twelve thieves rather than seven dwarves. It's sort of like Snow White with some Ali Baba elements added in.

Keep in mind that the average folk tale usually took a maximum of ten minutes to tell and did not usually spawn prequels, sequels and in-betwequels (hey, I can make up words if I want!). The makers of this show and pretty much every other fairy tale adaptation are given the liberty of expanding the story and adding more stuff into it.

The preview for next week puts Rumplestilskin in Cinderella's past.
    Seemingly taking the place of her "fairy godmother". I don't have too much problem with it considering how changable and diverse the Cinderella archetype is. In the German (ie Grimm) version, the fairy godmother was essentially played by a tree planted over her mother's grave. Also, technically, Rumpelstiltskin could be considered a fairy. Though, of the less benevolent kind. More of a "goblin", lets say.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

This episode confused me as to how the characters life change from the Fairy Tale realm to the Real World. At first I didn't get why Catherine is the one married to James(Prince Charming) and not Snow White if Catherine was only his fiancee for a while before he met Snow White and the curse was made once they were married.

So this is what I get, all these is taking away their happy endings(Snow being alone and James being unhappily married). Right? 'Cause if not I'm confused.

Perhaps Regina rewrote their story in our world through the curse, so that Snow White would be miserable without her Prince Charming who ends up with his fairytale fiancee.

And Regina definitely remembers, her reaction to the news that Mary Margaret was the one who awoke John Doe was a dead giveaway.

And the doctor is Sark from Alias. Cool.

Regina is quite the sadist towards people she dislikes - slow torture instead of deadly accident. Especially with Mary Margaret - Regina wants her to live unhappily ever after.

Third excellent episode in a row, by the way. I like the way things unfold gradually in both worlds.
    Last edited by passer-by; 11-06-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    I don't know what to consider canon anymore :(
    Comicmofo
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...1#post17765682

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I believe that the intro actually said only one knows the truth, and wouldn't that be Henry?

Quote Originally Posted by snarkbunny View Post
    I believe that the intro actually said only one knows the truth, and wouldn't that be Henry?
    Perhaps it means that only one of the townspeople that fell victim to the curse knows the truth?

Because both Mr Gold and Regina seem to know it.
    Comicmofo

Don't think the queen actually knows her true origins. If she knew , she would have been trying to kill Emma since she got there since Emma is the only one that has been prophesized to break the curse. I think the queen might have suspected but doesn't truly know.

Still maintained that Rumpelstiltskin is the only one that knows. It's his spell , his magic and his mr gold is more powerful than the queen in this town. I suspect that he's the one orchestrating everything behind the scenes. Someone has to be the one who came up with that storybook , the bible for everything that happened to the fairy tale characters so to speak.
    Last edited by marshal99; 11-06-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Don't think the queen actually knows her true origins. If she knew , she would have been trying to kill Emma since she got there since Emma is the only one that has been prophesized to break the curse. I think the queen might have suspected but doesn't truly know.
    I think the only thing she doesn't know is that Emma is Snow White and Prince Charming's daughter. But she seems to know about the rest, considering her reaction when she heard that Mary Margaret awoke John Doe.

And Mr Gold knew about that daughter, since Snow gave him her name. He was quite pleased when Emma arrived in town.

I'd say both Mr Gold and Regina know about the general curse, and Mr Gold also knows that Emma Swann is the one who can break it.
    Comicmofo

Still maintained that Rumpelstiltskin is the only one that knows.
    If so, what about Henry?

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletKing View Post
    This episode confused me as to how the characters life change from the Fairy Tale realm to the Real World. At first I didn't get why Catherine is the one married to James(Prince Charming) and not Snow White if Catherine was only his fiancee for a while before he met Snow White and the curse was made once they were married.

So this is what I get, all these is taking away their happy endings(Snow being alone and James being unhappily married). Right? 'Cause if not I'm confused.
    The curse was suppose to take them all to a time where they'd be unhappy and miserable, no? Snow is alone without her soul mate and Charming instead is in an unhappy and shaky marriage. Part of the curse.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by snarkbunny View Post
    If so, what about Henry?
    Henry only knew everything through that book and that book was given to him by Mary/Snow white so obviously someone has to put the book there for Mary/Snow White to give to Henry.
    That storybook most certainly isn't from the queen so the only logical explaination would be Rumpelstiltskin unless it's like the neverending story , it's a book that is writing itself ? Maybe the magic oak that brought Emma to safety are the pages ?

Maybe we'll know more next episode since it's about Rumpelstiltskin/Mr Gold and Cinderella. It does seemed clear that Mr Gold knows who he is as the deal between him and Cinderella was struck in fairy tale times but he's collecting as Mr Gold.
    Last edited by marshal99; 11-06-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Henry only knew everything through that book and that book was given to him by Mary/Snow white so obviously someone has to put the book there for Mary/Snow White to give to Henry.
    That storybook most certainly isn't from the queen so the only logical explaination would be Rumpelstiltskin.

Maybe we'll know more next episode since it's about Rumpelstiltskin/Mr Gold and Cinderella. It does seemed clear that Mr Gold knows who he is as the deal between him and Cinderella was struck in fairy tale times but he's collecting as Mr Gold.
    We don't know if Henry only knows this through the book, or if the book just confirmed what he knew. Either way is plausible, I think. But we do know the intro said "one" and Henry is the only one so far to conclusively demonstrate an association between Fairy Tale and Storeybrooke.

Also, I'm partial to my book theory: Rumplestiltskin said that every curse must have a way to break it, I think the book was created with Storeybrooke and was sitting in Storybrooke's library waiting for discovery.

Elder Member

It's really not any surprise that they're deviating from standard when interpreting the fairy tales. It's a TV show about fairy tales; basically a made up story about made up stories. No reason they would feel constrained by fideltiy to the original text (esp. since there are multiple versions of all the fables to begin with).

I still don't think any of them (other than Henry) knows the truth. If Rumpelstiltskin knew, he'd have just as much motive to kill Emma to prevent her breaking the curse as Regina would. More, actually. Regina was a Queen in the old world (a bitter, angry, deposed Queen, but still . . .); Rumpelstiltskin was rotting in a dungeon. Can't imagine he'd be wiining to risk going back to that.

After she described the fairy powder as being able to reduce her enemies into a form that could be crushed, I was thinking that maybe Snow had used it on the first Huntsmen who found her and turned them into dwarves. Guess turning the trolls into bugs put the kibosh on that. Oh well, would have been kind of cool.