Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 496
  1. #76
    DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    FWIW, Faora used to beat the crap out of Superman pre-Crisis, not because she was stronger, but because she was the better fighter.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

  2. #77
    We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,734

    Default

    I literally laughed at reading that article. I knew this Supergirl Series was going to suck as soon as I put that first issue down.

    Instead of trying to tell a good story, we get a different version of the Superman/Batman Series and "We have to make Supergirl tough. Let's have her beat up Superman."

    Unfortunately, its not just Supergirl's Book, but the same crap is happening with Justice League and Justice League Dark. Thor and Hulk aren't getting depowered and they're successful. They have epic stories and situations that require their power. That is what I was hoping to see for Superman.

    It's not the strength levels, but the quality of the book. And I can tell this series is going to fail hard if it keeps going at this pace.

  3. #78
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Zanzibar
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla2099 View Post
    I literally laughed at reading that article. I knew this Supergirl Series was going to suck as soon as I put that first issue down.

    Instead of trying to tell a good story, we get a different version of the Superman/Batman Series and "We have to make Supergirl tough. Let's have her beat up Superman."

    Unfortunately, its not just Supergirl's Book, but the same crap is happening with Justice League and Justice League Dark. Thor and Hulk aren't getting depowered and they're successful. They have epic stories and situations that require their power. That is what I was hoping to see for Superman.

    It's not the strength levels, but the quality of the book. And I can tell this series is going to fail hard if it keeps going at this pace.
    How dare thee mock the Last Daughter of Krypton, these be fighting words if one ever be spoken!

  4. #79
    Junior Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Silver Age there was an idea that Superman could swat everyone else like a bug if he had to. While I've never liked that, that doesn't mean I think his little cousin should be able to beat him in a fight. That's dumb.

    It's not 'cause she's a woman. It's cause she's a girl. If she can beat Superboy in a fight, that's one thing. But Superman?
    He's already got enough contenders. Wonder Woman is almost as strong as him, and a more disciplined fighter. Apollo is theoretically as strong as Superman. Captain Marvel ties with Superman consistently. Green Lantern rings are a weapon that can at least challenge Superman. The Flash is faster, if only because being fast is Flash's one claim to fame compared to Superman's like seven powers.

    Basically, I'm just gonna disregard this and hope that this ends the way that it ended in Superman / Batman, which was that it turned out Superman was stronger anyway. (And I didn't even like that story arc much until the movie came out).

  5. #80
    Senior Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophía View Post
    Context? The context was that Superman was fighting Supergirl, who pointed out that everybody thought she was more powerful than him - and then he shut her down, and flat-out said why it appears that way.

    Who cares? It's not even the same continuity anymore.
    If they wanna make Supergirl stronger than Superman, then go for it. They've been saying from the get go that Kryptonian females process yellow sunlight more efficiently than the males do, anyway.

    or why it ony serves to demean Superman
    Please explain how it's demeaning to Superman.
    Would you say that if Captain Marvel is proven to be Superman's strength superior?
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

    Oscar Wilde

  6. #81
    Senior Member The_Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    Yes, this would be sexist actually. Consider this: If a white person punches a black person, hes rascist. If a black person punches a white person, its justice. A similiar thing applies here.
    That is certainly the kind of logic racist people use to justify their actions.

  7. #82
    Senior Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rud View Post
    I don't like this simply because i don't like the idea of spinoff characters outshining the character they were spin off from in any way.
    Yeah, because Supergirl sold waaaaaaay more issues than Action Comics #1.
    Please, give me a break.
    Sometimes spinoffs are better than the original.

    I mean come on Superman is the main character of the Superman franchise and Superboy and Supergirl are just knockoffs, they have no business being greater than Superman.
    Nobody said they're greater (actually it depends on one's opinion) but they could be more powerful.

    There will be too many situations where superman is in deep shit and cant seem to beat this new uber villain of the week thats trying to destroy Metropolis and all i will think about is "well why doesn't this more powerful than him cousin just show up and solve this problem for him", or whatever.
    Well, that's your problem to solve. Me, I'll be thinking how will our boy Kal get himself out of this one!

    Il tell you this, if they created a Wonder Boy character as a Wonder Woman spinoff i bet you nobody would be happy if DC came up with "oh yeah by the way Wonder Boy is stronger than Wonder Woman", All i'd hear about is sexism this and sexism that.
    If there's a good reason why Wonder Boy is stronger than WW, then it would be fine. Just because you're stronger doesn't mean you'll win even half your fights against a smarter, experienced opponent. Look at the Bat-family.

    Its stupid and i don't like it. Next thing you know The Flash will be getting outrun by Kid Flash.
    Actually Impulse was considered faster than Wally at one point and do things other speedsters couldn't do.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

    Oscar Wilde

  8. #83
    Senior Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abhilegend View Post
    I've no problems with this theory, but the implementation of this theory is nigh impossible. People are forgetting that just because DC is rebooting their universe doesn't mean they would forget their core believes.
    Core beliefs? Like what? Lois and Clark as a couple?

    He IS the most powerful hero on earth, and thinking DC editorials would let his spin off character become more powerful than their golden boy is wishing at best or foolish at worst.
    Superman's power was standing in the way of his relevance.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

    Oscar Wilde

  9. #84
    Cyclops was right OrpheusTelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    Yes, this would be sexist actually. Consider this: If a white person punches a black person, hes rascist. If a black person punches a white person, its justice. A similiar thing applies here.
    Horrible analogy that isn't even remotely true.
    "And in a few years, some rebellious little kid is going to turn up at your school with me on his t-shirt. 'Cyclops was right.'"

  10. #85
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Personally, I'm disregarding this.

    I do hate when writers demean one character to push up another. And thats what this is. An attempt to make Supergirl look badass at the expense of Superman, nothing more and nothin less.

    Sorry, its like saying Robin could whoop Batman's ass in a fight. I'd be saying the same thing if we found out Superboy was suddenly stronger than Clark.

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    Personally, I'm disregarding this.

    I do hate when writers demean one character to push up another. And thats what this is. An attempt to make Supergirl look badass at the expense of Superman, nothing more and nothin less.

    Sorry, its like saying Robin could whoop Batman's ass in a fight. I'd be saying the same thing if we found out Superboy was suddenly stronger than Clark.
    Well Superboy would make sense cause wasn't that the reason he was created to take down Supes?

  12. #87
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    If woman are different than males,shouldnt it be something besides being stronger? Males are naturally stronger than females,sbouldnt they have less physical,and more adaptive or survival pluses over them?

    I have no problem making kal or kon different in ways,like saying kara was matrix style trained in super kungfu,or uses kryptonian tech to make her badass,and i love what they are doing with SB right now,but i dont think eother of those two"kids" should be able to outpower superman,and defiantley not this more badass version.
    Dont mess with the "S"

    Mutation is a bitch

    Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

  13. #88
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
    Well Superboy would make sense cause wasn't that the reason he was created to take down Supes?
    That was the young justice show,and my theory,and im sticking to it,is that his powers are TK related.
    Dont mess with the "S"

    Mutation is a bitch

    Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

  14. #89
    Veteran Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7,520

    Default

    I just can't really care that much. To me this is little more than a guy trying to do his job and advertise one of the products. I don't think Supergirl needs to be touted as stronger than Superman to garner interest, but I think that's the reason it was said nonetheless. Johnson and Green wrote a good #1, and I'll always base my opinions on the product first and words second.

  15. #90
    Ra's Al Cool
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rud View Post
    I don't like this simply because i don't like the idea of spinoff characters outshining the character they were spin off from in any way.
    Kyle Rayner's ring was better than Hal Jordan's. Wally West had greater control over and understanding of his powers than Barry Allen. Batman said at one point that Tim Drake was a better detective than him. I'm going to assume you lit up the internet over those things too, right?

    I mean come on Superman is the main character of the Superman franchise and Superboy and Supergirl are just knockoffs, they have no business being greater than Superman.
    Because power level defines a character? Whatever.

    There will be too many situations where superman is in deep shit and cant seem to beat this new uber villain of the week thats trying to destroy Metropolis and all i will think about is "well why doesn't this more powerful than him cousin just show up and solve this problem for him", or whatever.
    Guy, you're going to have a rough time with this "DC Universe" thing. "What? Batman's having trouble with the Joker? Why doesn't his more powerful than him friend just show up and solve this problem for him?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
    Well Superboy would make sense cause wasn't that the reason he was created to take down Supes?
    Just say it. "Superboy would make sense because he's a man, and only a man should be more powerful than Superman."

    Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    If woman are different than males,shouldnt it be something besides being stronger? Males are naturally stronger than females,sbouldnt they have less physical,and more adaptive or survival pluses over them?
    Good effort, but there are plenty of women out there who are stronger than plenty of men out there. Men are generally stronger, but that's a generality. It has no bearing on specific cases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    that doesn't mean I think his little cousin should be able to beat him in a fight. That's dumb.
    His little cousin? She looks like an adult to me. A younger one, sure, but she's not exactly a middle-schooler, chief.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •