Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wolf pack vs tiger

Another wolf vs thread, this time it's a pack of wolfs, i would say about 4 or 5 (im not too sure though) vs a fully grown large tiger, I'm really unsure on this one.

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

Four or five wolves could kill a tiger.

The tiger hit much harder than them, has longer claws for massive damage, and probably bites harder than them as well, but is also going to tire out much faster than them.

Even if the wolves get badly mauled in the process, they should take it.

Tiger definitely knows that its been in a fight, but it far outclasses the wolves in strength and size, and even has superior speed and agility.

The wolves have loads of stamina, but it's not going to help them as much if the tiger kills them.
    Last edited by FalconX2000; 10-15-2011 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX2000 View Post
    Tiger definitely knows that its been in a fight, but it far outclasses the wolves in strength and size, and even has superior speed and agility.

The wolves have loads of stamina, but it's not going to help them as much if the tiger kills them.
    If the Tiger lands clean hits on them, it can deal fatal wounds, deep cuts and broken bones. However, if the wolves surround it, and stay out of reach, it's not going to be easy for it to hit any of them.

If it moves to hit one, the rest , due to flanking it, would attack and bite down. That can break even the tiger's bones, given their jaw strength. A seriously wounded tiger isn't going to be fighting for long.

Basically, the numbers advantage makes it hard for the tiger to attack any of them without getting wounded, or extremely lucky.

That is unless, the tiger has it's back to something solid, then it would have a much better shot.
    Last edited by Sol M; 10-15-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    If the Tiger lands clean hits on them, it can deal fatal wounds, deep cuts and broken bones. However, if the wolves surround it, and stay out of reach, it's not going to be easy for it to hit any of them.

If it moves to hit one, the rest , due to flanking it, would attack and bite down. That can break even the tiger's bones, given their jaw strength. A seriously wounded tiger isn't going to be fighting for long.

Basically, the numbers advantage makes it hard for the tiger to attack any of them without getting wounded, or extremely lucky.

That is unless, the tiger has it's back to something solid, then it would have a much better shot.
    While the wolves are certainly able organise a surround, there are a few factors to consider.

a) They start 100 feet from each other. The wolves will need to work to get that flanking from their grouped starting position before the tiger takes down any of their number.

b) The wolves are used to trying to organise around a strong but lumbering target they can take their time with. Something that's outright faster, more agile and more ferocious than they are is going to mess up that plan. They'll react slower, and the tiger's agility allows it to turn and strike more quickly and accurately than a moose.

Milage may vary, as Sharp says, but I see an injured tiger emerging the victor. If it happens in the wild, the tiger dies soon after since it'll be too badly wounded to chase any more food down.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX2000 View Post
    While the wolves are certainly able organise a surround, there are a few factors to consider.

a) They start 100 feet from each other. The wolves will need to work to get that flanking from their grouped starting position before the tiger takes down any of their number.
    Not not a huge problem.

Spread out while the tiger is crossing a 100 feet( both creatures are fast enough to cross a 100 feet in a couple of seconds, but the real issue is that they don't have to cross a 100 feet if the tiger is attacking, they just have to flank it), wait for the tiger to attack one of them.

b) The wolves are used to trying to organise around a strong but lumbering target they can take their time with. Something that's outright faster, more agile and more ferocious than they are is going to mess up that plan. They'll react slower, and the tiger's agility allows it to turn and strike more quickly and accurately than a moose.
    The speed difference isn't really that significant.

Claws and agility are bigger problems, as is the tiger's strength and durability.

They won't be able to do in a tiger as easily as they take care of a moose, but they can do it, since the tiger is in no way capable of attacking more than one wolf at a time, and is susceptible to attacks from behind. Breaking out of the circle of enemies would only partially help, it would now have to deal with 5 enemies charging at it from behind, and to the sides.

The really important bit is this though. The tiger would be using it's agility to keep as many opponents in front of it as possible. Even if it attacks and mauls a wolf and still manages not get seriously hurt by the other four attackers, and does so a couple of times, it's going to be running out of stamina on a very serious level.

Milage may vary, as Sharp says, but I see an injured tiger emerging the victor. If it happens in the wild, the tiger dies soon after since it'll be too badly wounded to chase any more food down.
    If this were two or even three wolves, I'd agree, but with five wolves, it's impossible for the tiger to keep all of them in front of it. Either way it's going to have to take injuries( how effective they would be is another matter), and still retain enough stamina to take on an kill all the wolves. A tall order, IMO, but yes, mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by dunx123 View Post
    Another wolf vs thread, this time it's a pack of wolfs, i would say about 4 or 5 (im not too sure though) vs a fully grown large tiger, I'm really unsure on this one.
    Four or Five? Definitely.

I'm going with the pack all day, every day.

They pick it apart with superior numbers and teamwork. Wolfs 10/10

About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

If one of the four or five Wolf Pack members is Kevin Nash there's a good chance he'll eliminate himself trying to get in position to attack.

I just hope Sting brought his bat with him, that's going to be of some use against a tiger.
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

The Exterminator The last dalek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Transient Guest View Post
    If one of the four or five Wolf Pack members is Kevin Nash there's a good chance he'll eliminate himself trying to get in position to attack.

I just hope Sting brought his bat with him, that's going to be of some use against a tiger.
    Of course if Nash is booking then the tigers screwed

Realy though this manny wolves could take a tiger.

I'm not giving it to a pack as small as four or five, Tiger(I'm going to assume Siberian since no type is specified) takes a few hits but comes out alive, problem is that it kills a wolf that gets close too quickly, its faster over short distances, has more natural and lethal weapons. and if especially bad can do what big cats are known to do when desperate and lay on its back and use all four of its legs to slash at anything that gets too close. A maul even if it doesn't kill the wolf will cripple it.

Basically the wolf pack is looking to take 2 or even 3 casualties before it can position it to use their numbers effectively. I wouldn't give a pack of 4 or 5 a majority against a Grizzly, and I don't give them one here either.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Everything for Big Fire BitVyper's Avatar

The wolves will harry it until it's too tired to fight effectively. Pack tactics.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    without looking back to shore.
    Faster than light, bending time

Forever
    Wherever

Except to harry something requires to get close to that something, and in this case that something is bigger, faster, more agile, and deadlier than them, and absolutely lethal if it grabs them. The wolves need enough number that they can absorb a few loses without a real loss of effectiveness, they don't have that here.

Hrm, I'm thinking about 8 or more is the point the wolves start taking the majority.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

Big Jim, Dr. Steel, Warpath & the Whip take this.

Comparison, spotted hyenas are larger than grey wolves by a decent bit, same number of hyenas vs a male lion. Male lions wins confrontations like that all the time. This isn't that different.
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

When the two Meet... The MunchKING's Avatar
    The Barracks Of the Paladins of The Eastern Order

Just ask Raksha about HER ideas on Wolf vs. Tiger.

"If you want him, come and claim him. Then you will find out why they call me Raksha, the She-Demon."

Granted that was Shere-Kahn, the lame tiger, but she drove him off herself. Giver her a pack, and I bet they could run roughshod over even a more fit tiger.