Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: DC Comics Sells Over 5 Million Issues in Six Weeks

DC Comics has announced it has sold over five million comics since relaunching the DC Universe with the release of Geoff Johns and Jim Lee's "Justice League" #1 in late August.

Full article here.

Something negative will soon be posted here about how that's basically a failure by DC.

BTW, Congrats DC.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone2pick View Post
    Something negative will soon be posted here about how that's basically a failure by DC.

BTW, Congrats DC.
    LOL Very true.

Great stuff DC! Very impressive.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

BANNED

Thumbs down DC has been lying for over a month now about the DCnU numbers

Those are the real numbers of DC books sold in September
    http://icv2.com/articles/news/21220.html
    No book over 200k; only 6 over 100k; DC now suddenly remembers there is an international market in order to inflate their numbers!And why did they talk of JL#1 doing over 200k since August 23rd if that number included returns?

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Shock View Post
    No book over 200k; only 6 over 100k; DC now suddenly remembers there is an international market in order to inflate their numbers!And why did they talk of JL#1 doing over 200k since August 23rd if that number included returns?
    Those are just pre-orders in the direct market. Does not account for anything else.
    Last edited by Paul Newell; 10-13-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Wow, congrats DC! I wonder what the breakdown is for print/digital sales.

Yeah. I forgot that Batman isn't a returnable comic, so it's value wouldn't be reduced by 20% or whatever the number Diamond uses.

Nevertheless, DC should know how many books they sell more than we and the analysts can pull from Diamond's Index.

I'm still wondering about those digital sales though. I understand it may take another month before the ball really gets rolling their, but they should be able to track point-of-sale numbers for their comics more easily through Comixology.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

2 things-

those numbers you cited are still estimates and only track direct market sales. Between newstand and international sales, that's a lot of books that don't get tracked by them.

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    Idiot, those are just pre-orders in the direct market. Does not account for anything else.
    They also don't really account for sell-through either though. All of this is just estimates of issues sold to retailers based on their expectations.

That's the downside to these Diamond numbers. Sure they give you a rough estimate, but at the end of the day that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Ace View Post
    2 things-

those numbers you cited are still estimates and only track direct market sales. Between newstand and international sales, that's a lot of books that don't get tracked by them.
    Well he did acknowledge that DC remembers that there's an international market, although I'm sure they never actually forgot. IIRC, the international market is where Jonah Hex was much healthier than in the US.

if this reboot had come from Marvel, it would have Totally sold well over 200K+

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    Idiot, those are just pre-orders in the direct market. Does not account for anything else.
    Those are the numbers which the industry has been using for years and years now. Suddenly DC discovers other markets, veeeeeery late re-orders, extra-terrastrial buyers etc. in order to justify their 200k and 100k announcements!

Those are the numbers which the industry has been using for years and years now. Suddenly DC discovers other markets, veeeeeery late re-orders, extra-terrastrial buyers etc. in order to justify their 200k and 100k announcements!
    The "industry" you're talking about has never included the Big 2 publishers. They always include newstand and foreign sales in their figures, especially when writing a press release. It's also one of the reasons why you never hear them give exact numbers for sales, because sales are ongoing even after the books hit the direct market.

It doesn't count digital or second and third printings. The Diamond numbers were enough before because we didn't have day and date digital and there weren't as many reprintings.
    Action Comics, American Vampire, AV: Lord of Nightmares, Atomic Robo, Batman Inc, Batwoman, The Flash, Prophet, Uncanny X-Force

I'm always somewhat confused whenever there's a report on comic book sales. I've heard guys like Tom Brevoort say on his formspring that the sales reported by Diamond and IVV2 are not to be trusted. Every time someone cites them when asking a question, he brushes them off saying that somehow they have the real data. So when I hear a report like this I'm not terribly surprised. Relaunching so many #1s and throwing so much media hype into it is bound to attract a surge of initial sales. But we can't tell from this report how inflated those sales are or how solid the numbers are. From the looks of it, DC is more than satisfied with the sales and that's enough in my mind to deem the relaunch a success. However, I question the extent of that success. We don't know how many digital sales added to the print sales and it's hard to make sense of the numbers when they don't seem to match with IVV2. I suspect that the relaunch will skew the sales number for quite some time and we won't know how solid they are until a few months down the line.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme