Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Market Share: Marvel vs. DC

True quality can only be measured in sales. Since personal opinion and likeability is all subjective, the only way to get a true reading of quality is sales. (Not talking personal tastes and opinions, just facts)

After all DC has done recently, to get back in the game, and barely taking the lead in sales for September in what seems like the first time ever, and if after all that work, they cannot keep the lead they've taken? Well then the facts will show that Marvel is a better company.

Better chatacters.

Better storylines.

Better Creators.

Better universe where stories are told.

The fact that Marvel outsells DC is the only valid proof in the great debate. (Based on fact, not opinion)

The fact that Marvel makes more comics and sells more actually points to Marvel being capable of creating more books their fans want and selling them. When a company is more popular, they can create more books. If they're popularity dies, they will create less books.

(So when fans claim that Marvel "only sells more books because they make more books," this truly points to the fact that Marvel is a more successful brand with fans and entertaining them)

These thoughts are in the back of every true Marvel fans minds. Always knowing that DC is inferior in general, but not sure how to express it.

They're popularity relies heavily on 1 character: Batman. By example, DC has grown his popularity into many successful books like: Batman, Detective Comics, Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Batman & Robin, Catwoman, Red Hood, Batwing, Nightwing, Birds of Prey, JLA, Batman: The Dark Knight, Penguin, & Batman: Earth One. All ONE characters spinoffs.

Marvel's success comes from multiple characters and their storylines, largely dependent on the likeability of: Avengers characters, X-Men characters, and Spider-Man characters. This well established universe of characters and stories provides a wealth of entertainment that month after month, more fans/readers show up for in mass. Marvel is a better company because more fans allow Marvel to be more successful than DC.

But if DC can't succeed after all this? Time to give props to the BEST comic book company in the biz. MARVEL, baby. Your Universe!

(This thread is for discussion on how the new DC sales initiative impacts the greatest comics debate, of which company truly is, the definitive BEST)

BANNED

Can't we just say that there's good and bad from BOTH Marvel and DC?
    I mean, take the both from both worlds, not just isolate yourself!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    It's fine to say that. Yes. We can like both, and read books from both companies.

But for the sake of the discussion, there is truly 1 company that is better than the other.

Not everyone can be the winner in sports, life, etc. Same in the comics entertainment business.
    Last edited by Kick-Ass; 10-11-2011 at 08:37 PM.

nope

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    agreed!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kick-Ass View Post
    It's fine to say that. Yes. We can like both, and read books from both companies.

But for the sake of their discussion, there is truly 1 company that is better than the other.

Not everyone can be the winner in sports, life, etc. Same in the comics entertainment business.
    With the stale plots of the top selling books, I wouldn't call Marvel "better" at all now.

It's best to assume this is a joke thread and go back to doing other things...
    Currently recommending: Daredevil, Mudman ( it's back!), Hawkguy, and FF. Can't miss!

So I guess, for the purposes of this thread, we are going to be ignoring the fact that the Batman and Green Lantern franchises have been outselling a lot of those "great" Marvel titles for quite some time?
    Last edited by Goggindowner; 10-11-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    So I guess, for the purposes of this thread, we are going to be ignoring the fact that the Batman and Green Lantern franchises have been outselling a lot of those "great" Marvel titles for quite some time?
    I've actually been having a related debate in the Ultimate forum. Yes, Batman sells very well but let's put this into perspective. Better than any X-men comic? Perhaps. But in September there were THIRTEEN different variations of the X-men and about FOUR variations of Batman. I would argue the X-Men title alone is more popular than Batman, but X-Men fans choose from their favorite title (or titles) and that gets spread out over far more comics. There's also a crap load of variations of Spider-man, Avengers and others.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by USArmyParatrooper View Post
    I've actually been having a related debate in the Ultimate forum. Yes, Batman sells very well but let's put this into perspective. Better than any X-men comic? Perhaps. But in September there were THIRTEEN different variations of the X-men and about FOUR variations of Batman. I would argue the X-Men title alone is more popular than Batman, but X-Men fans choose from their favorite title (or titles) and that gets spread out over far more comics. There's also a crap load of variations of Spider-man, Avengers and others.
    Let's be honest, chances are that nobody has the same favorite X-Man (unless it's Wolverine). Chances are, they aren't going to get into the same book where their favorite may be overshadowed.
    And really, depends. Batman could be better written some times, others, we could get fantastic X-Men. Or fantastic Daredevil. Or Animal Man which is GODLY amazing but isn't getting the respect it deserves.
    It depends on tastes. But unfortunately, now a days, it just means A List Exposure.

BANNED

BUT if DC can't be Marvel with their new effort, (relaunch) then Marvel truly wins. This is about popularity, and market share. The one on top wins. And if DC can't take the lead now, they never will. Then it will be proof that Marvel is and continues to be the "BEST" company.

Future Lovemaking Skilled djsweet's Avatar

So, what if Marvel retakes Market share but needs 45 more titles to get there? Is DC a better company because they have a better market share per title?
    Anyway, this is stupid. The only people that care about money are greedy A$$holes and shallow jerk@ffs

BANNED

But for the sake of the discussion, there is truly 1 company that is better than the other.

Yes but Marvel floods the market with more comics than other companies and they have the most expensive comics out there. That DC beat them, even for a month, should be embarrasing to them.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefood View Post
    It's best to assume this is a joke thread and go back to doing other things...
    I assumed as much from the picture in the first post. Blah!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumaro9977 View Post
    Yes but Marvel floods the market with more comics than other companies and they have the most expensive comics out there. That DC beat them, even for a month, should be embarrasing to them.
    I think that when people make threads like this they forget to take the flooding into account.

Lets say we judge the regular amount of comics DC puts up (including Vertigo, etc) and take that number of books from Marvel.

If it's judged that way then I think things will be far more even than people would like to express.

Besides, imho I don't really think DC CARES about getting either the sales or the market. They just want readers.