Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Default Why did Marvel give Wolverine a "real name"?

For years, Wolverine's character was shrouded in mystery. He was simply referred to as "Logan" and all the reader knew was that he was an old mutant whose healing factor gave him a longer than average life span, and that he had a deep, secretive, complicated origin that spanned decades and had spawned different aliases for him in different eras and different corners of the world. And for most fans like myself, that's all we needed, because we liked the allure of his mysterious, deep and ever changing origin, and the fact that his "real name" wasn't even known. And then about 10 years ago, Marvel screwed all that up by giving him a silly origin involving a man named "dog" and the name "James Howlett." It seemed even more convoluted an origin than having a half-origin, and definitely a lot less cool.

So, Agree or disagree: Marvel finally gave Wolverine a "real name" to try to make him more marketable to the general public? After all, for most comic book characters who are icons outside of comics, the general public has ONE secret identity to connect them to.

The average person on the street could tell you that Batman's secret identity is Bruce Wayne.

Most people's grandmothers know that Superman's alter ego is Clark Kent.

A lot of people these days even know that Tony Stark is Iron Man and Peter Parker is Spider-Man.

But even comic fans can't even seem to agree on whether the primary Green Lantern should be Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, Guy Garnder, or a weird looking alien from another planet. That's why when a GL movie was announced, most of the few casual fans who had heard of GL before went, "Hey---I thought Green Lantern was a Black guy?!?" Along with that weak movie, that DEFINITELY hurts Green Lantern and keeps it/him from becoming as popular in the general public as other comic book heroes.

So with all that being said, do you agree or disagree that Marvel finally gave Wolverine the name "James Howlett" after years of simply being referred to as "Logan" or different secret aliases to try to make him appeal more to the casual fan/non-comic fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Marvel View Post
    So with all that being said, do you agree or disagree that Marvel finally gave Wolverine the name "James Howlett" after years of simply being referred to as "Logan" or different secret aliases to try to make him appeal more to the casual fan/non-comic fan?
    I don't feel that's the reasoning behind it myself. Personally I think it was a mistake, but it was probably just because the creative team at the time thought it would be cool to do an origin story for him, rather than any attempt to appeal to a different demographic.

I don't think you should make a character static and unchanging forever. The origin created an opportunity to deepen the character and I'm happy with like 95% of his origin (Romulus is the 5% that should never have happened). I think they succeeded.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.

Some folks at the X-Office wanted Wolverine's Origin to be revealed. And the gave him a birth name as a part of that. That's it really.

And honestly? Reading older X-Men and Wolverine issues... I'm pretty glad that Wolverine finally got and Origin and stopped being so dang "Mysterious".

Veteran Member

After 30 years,Rogue STILL doesn't have a last name...

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Marvel View Post
    He still calls himself 'Logan' so no.

They wanted to write him an origin story, and a real name comes with that. It's pretty simple. I'm not sure why you don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    After 30 years,Rogue STILL doesn't have a last name...
    Claremont gave her a last name.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
    He still calls himself 'Logan' .
    A name,by the way,which was revealed by Leprechauns!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Claremont gave her a last name.
    In 161 Forever.Rogue still doesn't have a last name in 616...

This subject, even though it's really not that old, just feels like something we should all move on from. Him having no memory forever would have gotten boring. It's been interesting to have him change and evolve as a character. If he still had amnesia, then I would be really bored with his character as opposed to the apathy I feel towards him now.

And him having the memory to know he's a horrible father makes his interactions with Laura all that more cringe worthy, but in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    And honestly? Reading older X-Men and Wolverine issues... I'm pretty glad that Wolverine finally got and Origin and stopped being so dang "Mysterious".
    Yup. I hate having a carrot over my head following a mystery that's never solved.
    Support your local comic shop.

I'm pretty sure I read in some interview that Marvel editorial decided they wanted to do an origin story because of the X-movies. They wanted to tell it in the comics before it was done by someone in Hollywood.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

I don't care that he's got a real name. It just floors me that anything other than Logan was ever a choice. Logan is a real name. Dumb dumb dumb. I could have died a happy person never having heard of James Howlett.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I was fine with his name just being Logan... But, wasn't impressed with "Origins". IMHO Marvel should reveled his birth name during the 'Weapon X Saga" preferably on one of the computer monitors he was connected to and allowed the readers/fans to discover it like a fluke "no-prize".

The "One Blond -- One Black/Lupine bull$#!t" was simply insulting and ignored much canonical evidence to the contrary.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 10-09-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Typo correction(s).
    Hear me X-men! No longer am I the woman you once knew! I am fire and life incarnate! Now and forever...

I AM PHOENIX!

BANNED

I hate Wolverine Origins.