Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Great job, Nitz! I was confused about Elise at first, but I just finished reading Chapter 1 front-to-back, and now I'm up-to-date again. The text pieces also helped, as always.
    I hadn't completed reading all chapters of Ruby's World yet, though, but it doesn't seem as though this first chapter refers too much to past events.

I noticed today I can't access Ruby's World. Yesterday evening it was fine, but now I get a page that says "This domain is no longer hosted by Smack Jeeves". Wayback Machine wasn't much help in finding archived versions, either.

But anyway, keep the story coming!

Thanks, CJ! I'll check out what's up with Ruby's World right now. Sorry for the problem.

And the final new update;

http://www.therubynation.com/comics/...ises-diary-03/

CJ, I think it's because the domain name expired for Ruby's World. I'll renew it today, but in the meantime you can check out the comic at the native address;

http://rubysworld.smackjeeves.com

Thanks for the link, Nitz. I'll get to reading right away. I had just reached the conclusion of Evie's diary and the introduction of Opal and Griff.
    I was wondering: from the get-go, the character of Dr. Tori Carcharia reminded me of Dr. Akagi Ritsuko from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Was Ritsuko an inspiration?
    I think she's a great foil for the heroes (and Evie in the flashbacks) because of her cold, scientific approach to the evil pursuits of Beagle. It reminded me of your thread where you ask about the preference for morally grey villains or complete monsters. Tori and Buzarde are both the kind of villains you love to hate.

I must say I like the codename 'Bateleur' for Elise. Very handsome bird-of-prey, and the word is obscure enough for people to go look it up if they don't know it. But given that Ruby's team aren't using codenames, I suppose 'Bateleur' won't stick?

I've really come to like your use of greyscale. Do you make the art completely by hand and then add the text to the balloons after scanning, or do you also add some digital finishing touches to it? (I'm pretty much completely unaware of digital art, I'm an old-fashioned pencil guy).

EDIT: It's with an ear-to-ear smile that I'm reading about Opal's brutal honesty (and her cluelessness about how this upsets people).
    Last edited by Mormel; 01-29-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Your comments are as always appreciated, CJ. Some answers for you;

1.) I wasn't an Evangelion fan when I started the comic. Now that I am an Evangelion fan, I can definitely see where you're coming from. I was, however, influenced by Hojo from FF7.

2.) Good job on getting the Bateleur reference. Then again, perhaps Elise is the name she won't keep?

3.) At this point the only parts that are digital are the borders and the letters. Still working to get better at drawing and formatting, but for the most part I still prefer doing things by hand, as it's a more pleasurable mode way to work. Then again, I'm also open to suggestions.

4.) I've honestly grown to favor more complex villains, as you'll see soon enough in Ruby's World's ending...