Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Barnes & Noble Pulls 100 DC Graphic Novels

In a response to DC's exclusive partnering with Amazon's Kindle Fire for perennial titles like "Watchmen" and "The Sandman," Barnes & Noble has pulled the physical books from their store shelves as a protest.

Full article here.

Creator of Strange Paths! tesh_karde's Avatar

+10 to Marvel Comics! Hopefully B&N will fill that shelf space up in the Mighty Marvel Manner!

I guess DC didn't research things through when they went for an exclusive deal. Also having books available on just one platform is dumb since other users of other e-readers won't have access to it and you want your material to be as accessible as you can make it to get as many customers as you can.
    Last edited by Hamdinger; 10-07-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Me spellinz iz knot gud

Dumb move on the part of B&N.
    Hobos frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread.

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    I'm pretty sure this will hurt DC more than B&N.
    "And in a few years, some rebellious little kid is going to turn up at your school with me on his t-shirt. 'Cyclops was right.'"

dick move. so what you can't sell them digitally? you can still make money by just selling the damn books. The "commitment" to their customers is pretty ass backwards, they're saying:

"Dear customers, because we can't sell you these books digitally, we aren't going to sell them to you at all, because YOU come first..."

Okaaaay, what if I want to go in and buy that physical book? Where's your commitment to me then? Guess I'll just go to amazon and buy them for cheaper since you apparently don't want my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    Agreed, but I need more characters.

Default that's a protest?

Barnes and Noble: I'm going to cut off my nose to spite my face. Honestly, Barnes and Noble isn't even as good as Borders was. Amazon sells everything cheaper anyway. I'm sorry to see the death of real book stores...but money talks. Decisions like this will only hasten their demise.

I can understand why B&N did this, but I think this action may hurt them more than DC. Sure, graphic novels is small part of what they offer, but with all the problems that book stores have these days, this move still makes them lose few potential customers.

The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

Well the coffin has been made for years now.

Seems like all that's left is the plot and a few nails to seal in the comic and book industry.
    "Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur

Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    I can understand why B&N did this, but I think this action may hurt them more than DC. Sure, graphic novels is small part of what they offer, but with all the problems that book stores have these days, this move still makes them lose few potential customers.
    As long as Barns and Noble continue to sell Manga, they won't be taking a hit from this, especially since it's only DC's graphic novels they won't be selling.
    "And in a few years, some rebellious little kid is going to turn up at your school with me on his t-shirt. 'Cyclops was right.'"

I understand B & N completely. If DC is going to partially exclude them, Its understandable than B & N would just remove the entire line.

We'll see what BATMAN has to say about that!

Sounds like B&N is trying to use their near-monopoly in the physical book seller space to try and fight back against Amazon. I may have issues with Amazon's business practices as well, but this seems kind of dirty to me.
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

Quote Originally Posted by OrpheusTelos View Post
    As long as Barns and Noble continue to sell Manga, they won't be taking a hit from this, especially since it's only DC's graphic novels they won't be selling.
    You can't say they won't lose any customers over this.
    Hobos frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread.