Page 157 of 475 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207257 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 7114

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    His retirement was forced. From a PR standpoint, the military thought it would be less of an embarrassment.
    Yes, which technically means he wasn't discharged. Pedantic I know but it is true.
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

"In 1996, I was 36. And you're still a frothing moonbat." ~Paradox

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Puma, you are wise.

In the future, I will refer to his disgraceful exit as "forced retirement", to avoid the danger of pendantic arguments with those who would get hung up on the technicality. Much appreciated.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Yes, which technically means he wasn't discharged. Pedantic I know but it is true.
    To be even more pedantic about it, West is still nominally in military service as a member of the Army Retired Reserve, the usual placement for military personnel who have completed twenty years of service.

Or I posted a story that had one adjective wrong (and honestly, it's pretty easy to mistake the difference), and you're using it to defend a racist, xenophobic, at times mutinous (by advising the military to ignore the presidnet's orders) douchebag for his brutality in a line of duty that requires great honor and responsibility.

He was discharged because of the fact he's a deranged embarrassment to the armed forces. And that AIN'T a lie.
    And you still get the facts wrong, I agree with you about what West is but that doesn't make what you are saying less of a lie.

The bolded part of your post is a lie also
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Puma, you are wise.

In the future, I will refer to his disgraceful exit as "forced retirement", to avoid the danger of pendantic arguments with those who would get hung up on the technicality. Much appreciated.
    To folks who know what the words mean, that is like the difference between being fired and being convicted of a major felony, thus not just a technicality

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Smith View Post
    To be even more pedantic about it, West is still nominally in military service as a member of the Army Retired Reserve, the usual placement for military personnel who have completed twenty years of service.
    Unless he was retired on disability that is where he is, just as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    To folks who know what the words mean, that is like the difference between being fired and being convicted of a major felony, thus not just a technicality
    To be perfectly clear, he received an Honorable Discharge, but left dishonorably. Unless he got an Other Than Honorable discharge, but I have no idea if that's what happened.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Ace View Post
    To be perfectly clear, he received an Honorable Discharge, but left dishonorably. Unless he got an Other Than Honorable discharge, but I have no idea if that's what happened.
    You are mistaken on this point. He was retired, not discharged. Only military personnel who aren't eligible for retirement are discharged. Retired personnel don't receive discharges because they still remain, if only on paper, in military service. West had over twenty years of service, the minimum amount of time necessary to qualify for retirement. His service as a lieutenant colonel on active duty was found to be satisfactory despite receiving NJP, so he was allowed to retire in that grade (if his service as an LTC had not been deemed satisfactory, he would have been retired as a major). Upon retirement with his active duty grade, and full pension benefits, he was transferred to the retired reserve list.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Guys!

I went through weeks of crying myself to sleep when we had that discussion last year. Can't you just google your old posts and link to them instead of rehashing that crap all over?
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

1. Tennessee legislators just passed a Creationist bill (sorry a "teach the controversy" Bill), Governor Bill Hasla, is too gutless to veto it and also too gutless to support it so he allowed it to be made law without his signature.

2. In Nebraska. the state legislature voted to reverse a ban on prenatal care for illegal immigrants. Governor Dave Heinemann voted it.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

The Arizona bar has disbarred a state prosecutor with close ties to Sheriff joe Arpaio for abusing his office to bring prosecutions against political opponents.

In a Phoenix courtroom filled with fellow lawyers and some of his biggest critics on Tuesday, the former Arizona prosecutor who served for years as Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s right-hand man was stripped of his license to practice law.

A three-member state disciplinary panel ruled that ex-Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas abused his powers as a prosecutor to target his political enemies. Because of that, they ruled he would be disbarred.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Oh yeah, Andrew Thomas was a real bastard, too. He's trying to run for attorney general, but really, you have to ask yourself if you'd want anyone to hold political office after they were the policy director for a governor who got impeached, like Thomas did when he worked for Fife Symington III. From there, a lot of his political history is trumping up charges on political rivals, using his elected position to do so.

Updated Tuesdays.

Fife Symington III
    Seriously?!
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Seriously?!
    Not kidding.

And even more amazing? He made his son Fife Symington IV.

Updated Tuesdays.

Not kidding.

And even more amazing? He made his son Fife Symington IV.
    Well, you kind of have to at that point.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life