Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: An Introduction to Comic Studies

CBR welcomes writer Laura Sneddon as we present the first installment of her column detailing lessons learned as she attends the University of Dundee's postgraduate degree course in Comics Studies.

Full article here.

Zeitgeist Explorer Basterdshark's Avatar

I hear the British Government looks very kindly at post-graduate education. I hear they believe education is important, to us and to them, and that everybody should be allowed to go.

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Comics studies is also a growing discipline in this country. I got my Ph.D. from the University of Florida, which has a graduate track on Comics and Visual Rhetoric. And the University of Iowa is hosting a comics studies symposium next weekend.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Quote Originally Posted by Basterdshark View Post
    I hear the British Government looks very kindly at post-graduate education. I hear they believe education is important, to us and to them, and that everybody should be allowed to go.
    If you can afford it.

Zeitgeist Explorer Basterdshark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superchick View Post
    If you can afford it.
    Yes, sorry I forgot the wistful sarcasm warning -- it is a right shame - nay, a crime! - that the academic field is being broadened only when the flow of students is being restricted.

Laura, can you address the funding of this in a later article? I may not be the only graduate trying to bluff his way to a scholarship.

oh my, finally a really good reason to get back into the academe!

Quote Originally Posted by Basterdshark View Post
    Yes, sorry I forgot the wistful sarcasm warning -- it is a right shame - nay, a crime! - that the academic field is being broadened only when the flow of students is being restricted.

Laura, can you address the funding of this in a later article? I may not be the only graduate trying to bluff his way to a scholarship.
    Liverpool Hope does science fiction studies and I have no idea how I would campaign for funding for that from a research council. I'd love to go back to uni. Since I came out of uni I've been able to get one temp job lasting 6 months and I just feel useless. I can't help but think that the money they spend on my JSA would be better focused on further education.