Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 188
  1. #61
    SHAMBALA! Maija's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Wilds of Albert
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Either somebody tweaked something or just making a couple of posts restored my powers. If it was intervention, thanks! And thanks anyway for running the show and fighting the unending battle against spammers.


  2. #62
    New Member HectorB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I'm assuming avatars are included too, because I can't change mine any longer

  3. #63
    Kate Bishop beetlebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    There is a land called Passive-Agressiva, and I am their Queen.
    Posts
    16,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HectorB View Post
    I'm assuming avatars are included too, because I can't change mine any longer
    I don't know what to tell you, but I've been changing my avatar frequently the past few days due to indecisiveness. I've had no problem doing so.

    Perhaps it's a glitch on the forums part, or maybe the changing of avatars is a spam prevention measure, imposed solely on members who are fairly new?
    Psychologically, the guns you use will define you - Pharoahe Monch

    Certi amori non finiscono. Fanno dei giri immensi, e poi ritornano ~

    You've brought back Stephanie Brown. Now please bring back Helena Bertinelli!

  4. #64
    indie snob Brandon Hanvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,526

    Default

    Changing avatars (editing profiles) is part of the under 20 post measure.

  5. #65
    New Member HectorB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanvey View Post
    Changing avatars (editing profiles) is part of the under 20 post measure.
    Figured that out as soon as I hit 21 and was able to change my avatar.

  6. #66
    Black Krytonian lucretius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    117

    Default

    So I guess this is what's going on with my profile, even though I'm way over the benchmark?

  7. #67
    indie snob Brandon Hanvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucretius View Post
    So I guess this is what's going on with my profile, even though I'm way over the benchmark?
    According to our records, your account should be switched.

  8. #68
    To burn and to rise Mormel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On the mighty Maas
    Posts
    3,926

    Default

    I've been absent for about 4 months, and after logging in I noticed there was no mention of the number of PMs under the 'Welcome' in the top right corner as usual. I checked my PM Box, and found it said 'You have 69 messages, of a total 0 allowed'. So I checked out this thread here at the Q&A, then fiddled about in my User CP some more, and it seems I can no longer send PMs OR edit my personal info, avatar, signature.

    Could someone please help me with this?

    EDIT: Never mind, it's been fixed! ^_^
    Last edited by Mormel; 11-07-2011 at 03:36 PM.

  9. #69
    indie snob Brandon Hanvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Lentze View Post
    I've been absent for about 4 months, and after logging in I noticed there was no mention of the number of PMs under the 'Welcome' in the top right corner as usual. I checked my PM Box, and found it said 'You have 69 messages, of a total 0 allowed'. So I checked out this thread here at the Q&A, then fiddled about in my User CP some more, and it seems I can no longer send PMs OR edit my personal info, avatar, signature.

    Could someone please help me with this?

    EDIT: Never mind, it's been fixed! ^_^
    If you have not logged in since the change, it may take up to an hour before your account's permissions are switched.

  10. #70

    Default

    I reached 20 posts and I cant get an avatar yet...

  11. #71
    Administrator Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 1997
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    As previously stated, it may take the system up to an hour to activate the changes.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

  12. #72

    Default

    Is it 20 or 21?

    This has been fucking AGONY for me. This counter-measure is a little extreme.

  13. #73
    indie snob Brandon Hanvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
    Is it 20 or 21?

    This has been fucking AGONY for me. This counter-measure is a little extreme.
    It's 20. Then after you hit the mark, it takes an hour or two afterwards for the system to update your status.

  14. #74
    NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Londinium, Britannia
    Posts
    6,382

    Default

    I'm sure the powers that be already know about this, but I just wanted to make sure...

    Not allowing new users to have signatures doesn't seem to have cut down on spam. I've noticed that the past few spammers we've had in the Classic Comics forum have just put their links into the main body of their message instead. I would suggest that the only way you'll ever stop spammers like this is to disable links altogether, until a user has made 20 or so posts in the forum. Otherwise you might as well just put the signatures back to how they were.

    In fact, a case could be made for the disabling of links in signatures having resulted in more spam per message, since there's a much higher character limit in posts than there is in signatures. This allows spammers to put many more links into a post than you used to get.
    Last edited by The Confessor; 12-16-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

  15. #75
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    16,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    Not allowing new users to have signatures doesn't seem to have cut down on spam.
    No, it has. You may not see it as a regular poster, especially since the most prolific spammers aren't deterred by the new measures, but spam volume as a whole is down significantly.
    Expletive Deleted

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •