Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation Change of User Permissions ("Why can't I edit my profile/choose an avatar?")

One of the things that takes up a lot of Moderator time is cleaning up spam on the forums. No one likes it. It's annoying. Spammer tactics are becoming increasingly complex and aggravating to deal with.

To help combat the perpetual assault of spam messages/spammers/spambots I'm working on a new way that Usergroups are used here at CBR. To cut a long story short;

New users will not be allowed to do the following:
    • Use signatures in their posts
    • Send private messages
    • Post profile messages
    • Possibly be unable to post links at all.

Upon reaching a certain number of posts (20), that user's account will automatically be 'promoted' so all those options become available. The change isn't instantaneous, the system needs time to update itself. So don't expect to have access the second you reach 20 posts, just be patient. It'll happen.

This step should drastically reduce the amount of Private Message spam people receive (I'm looking at you people who PM invites to a pathetic RP game) as well as SEO spammers and so forth.

I'm in the admin controls right now setting this up. It will take some time to move the existing users (that's all you wonderful folk) around so the system works, maybe a little more than an hour. If you find Private Messages not working or any other glitches, it's probable this is the cause. Wait an hour and see if it's still broken.

It's actually a tricky system to set up as I have to be careful not to screw any existing permissions up. It may be some time before it becomes active. I just hope I don't have to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow...
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-16-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

Maybe you should up the baseline of posts to 30 or 40, since a persistent spammer could bang out 20 posts pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
    Maybe you should up the baseline of posts to 30 or 40, since a persistent spammer could bang out 20 posts pretty easily.
    That's something we'll be keeping an eye on. Once the system is in place, that limit is very easy to change.

We don't want the benchmark too high as it might be annoying to genuine new forum members, who we want to encourage to stick around.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

The system is now in place. For the next hour or so, normal forum members may not have Private Messages, Profile Messages, or Signatures available - there's 61,000 or so users the system needs to check and move if applicable.

Please keep an eye out for glitches. I've set this up after a soup bowl full of coffee and so the chance of a goof-up is present.

So just because of a few spammers our private messaging privilages got to be taken away?
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

I think PMs should be coming back soon. Something got a bit screwed up.

I fear you misunderstand what is happening.

Private Messaging will only be unavailable to forum member who has less than a certain number of posts. At the moment that number is 20.
    Anyone who has more than 20 posts will have full features enabled, including Private Messages.

Private Messages are unavailable to everyone only while the VBulletin system works out the new system, which should take approximately an hour. After that, anyone with more than 20 posts should be able to Private Message away like they always have.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    New users will not be allowed to do the following:
    • Use signatures in their posts
    • Send private messages
    • Post profile messages
    • Possibly be unable to post links at all.
    You might want to add "have links in their signatures". I just reported a new member (3 posts) who had three spam links in their sig.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    You might want to add "have links in their signatures". I just reported a new member (3 posts) who had three spam links in their sig.
    They shouldn't have the ability to use signatures at all.
    I have to assume that account was created before the changes took affect, since it won't go back and erase signatures.

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

I assume I may just have to wait a bit more until things return back to normal for me.
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

It should be fine already. Try logging out and back in again.

Yeah I have the same problem with accessing my PMs.

And I tried logging out and in again, but I can't still access it.

EDIT: It's back now and everything seems to be working fine.
    Last edited by Jeremi; 10-02-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

Fab, its back :D
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

i fully support the measures to try and weed out the spammers and bots, because they are pretty prevalent and in some cases you see bots actually talking to each other which is weird because who knew a bot could talk? so i assume the technology is getting better, so new measures have to be thought of to try and combat it.

BANNED

Default Screwy User CP?

I can't access any of the tabs in my User CP. Whenever I click on things like "Edit Your Details" it tells me that I don't have the permission required to access that page.

Help?