Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

Cool IDW Ghostbusters Ongoing Thread *SPOILERS*

Since we finally have a Ghostbusters ongoing comic, I thought it would be good to have a thread to talk about it! Hopefully this will tide us over until the mythical 3rd movie comes out, assuming it ever does. If you're a fan of the movies then this will definitely be your cup of tea. The charm, humor, technology, and banter that made the boys in grey so fantastic is here full bore. I'm not entirely sure what to make of what the authors are doing here, but it managed to keep a smile on my face by delivering plenty of Ghostbusters fun.

The opening scene serves as a great introduction to the team. Having some prior knowledge allows fans to completely telegraph the very last sequence in the main story, but everything else you need to know is told within the pages of the comic if you lived under a rock and never saw Ghostbusters anything. The talk show dream with Ray, Egon wanting to slice open Ray’s brain, Peter being “busy,” Jeanine being glib, and Winston having a heart of gold with kids were all classic Ghostbusters. The scene that's recreated at the end is certainly one of the most memorable, with Peter and Slimer having a reunion. I really think that it’s not really Slimer at the end, but the new villain they introduced.

Ghostbusters has a very cartoony art style, but it absolutely works well with the tone being set. The final page demonstrates that Schoening is capable of drawing frightening figures when needed, assuring that that aspect won't be lost in the series. I’m really excited about Tristan Jones doing the back feature and hoping for some Tobin Spirit Guide entries. It was also fun to spot all the Easter Eggs hidden in the book from the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, the movies, and so on.

There isn't too much in the way of plot progression and it was a fun romp down memory lane. I really enjoyed how they intertwined the two movies (Gozer, Slimer, Viggo, Janosz ) and even the video game (Paranormal Contracts Oversight Commission aka P.C.O.C. lead by Walter Peck) into the continuity they’re creating here. The back-up also fleshed out some what ifs such as other “Paranormal Investigation and Elimination” teams.

All in all, I’m really excited about the book and expect it to a massive hit of biblical proportions.

5 Ecto traps out of 5!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 10-02-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    "Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur

Elder Member

Great start! Loved every part of it. Also loved the Blues Brothers reference.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The back-up also fleshed out some what ifs such as other “Paranormal Investigation and Elimination” teams.
    Glad you picked up on that... :)

Cheers for the feedback dude. Licensing prevents us from doing Spirit Guide stuff of anything outside of what appears in the comics, but who knows where we'll go down the track. My part shifts gears pretty substantially as of #2 though... Hopefully you'll dig it. If not, you've always got twenty pages of Dan, Erik and Luis! :)

This comic series is a fanboy's dream come true. I loved all the inside references, the cartoony style, and all the intrigue that's being built here. I also appreciate that Dan designed Janine to resemble her Real Ghosters look. That's my favorite look. Can't wait for the next one.
    I Draw Pictures All Day:
    http://mikesegawa.com/

i'm really glad i gave this book a shot. i thought it was fantastic. at first i didn't think i was going to be a fan of the cartoony art, but the more that i got into the series i thought it really started to work. my favorite panel is the bathroom scene with the creature coming out of the mirror (and other weird stuff happening). the tongue coming out of the toilet bowl and eyes popping out from the tank and me chuckling long after i put the book down.

icing on the cake was that the original ghostbusters was on vh1 last night. i hadn't seen it in ages and it really made me appreciate all the little things that were in the comic. looking forward to the next issue.
    SPACE FOR RENT!

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Great start! Loved every part of it. Also loved the Blues Brothers reference.
    Indeed. That was hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by TristJones View Post
    Glad you picked up on that... :)

Cheers for the feedback dude. Licensing prevents us from doing Spirit Guide stuff of anything outside of what appears in the comics, but who knows where we'll go down the track. My part shifts gears pretty substantially as of #2 though... Hopefully you'll dig it. If not, you've always got twenty pages of Dan, Erik and Luis! :)
    Well I really like your Tobin Spirit Guide art I've seen around so I'm pretty excited to see they included you in the book somehow. Dan is great but you're what actually made me buy the book.

Quote Originally Posted by weeks View Post
    i'm really glad i gave this book a shot. i thought it was fantastic. at first i didn't think i was going to be a fan of the cartoony art, but the more that i got into the series i thought it really started to work. my favorite panel is the bathroom scene with the creature coming out of the mirror (and other weird stuff happening). the tongue coming out of the toilet bowl and eyes popping out from the tank and me chuckling long after i put the book down.

icing on the cake was that the original ghostbusters was on vh1 last night. i hadn't seen it in ages and it really made me appreciate all the little things that were in the comic. looking forward to the next issue.
    Did you read the "What In Samhain Is Going On?" one-shot? I enjoyed the story the most out of all the minis and one shots.

Well shucks, thanks.
    Comic book writer & artist. Working on IDW's monthly GHOSTBUSTERS +TMNT and Scarlet Spider at Marvel.

www.burnhamania.com
    www.facebook.com/erikburnhamfanpage
    www.twitter.com/erikburnham

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Well I really like your Tobin Spirit Guide art I've seen around so I'm pretty excited to see they included you in the book somehow. Dan is great but you're what actually made me buy the book.
    Jebus! Thanks man, happy you're diggin' the whole product though dude, Erik and Dan are smashing it and Luis is a master of the rainbow!

This book was so much fun. IDW are killing it with this book and the TMNT comic.

I posted a big review here: http://patrickshand.blogspot.com/201...-1-review.html

I hope, in addition to the on-going, they do miniseries on Ghostbusters the same way they're doing with the other licenses. I know a certain me-shaped person who would love to write that thing. (*whistles innocently*)

But seriously, look at that art. Can't beat that.

Awesome book! I love the Ghostbusters!
    "Welcome to the party pal!" - John McClane - Die Hard

Great second issue! These guys have the voices nailed down pat.

I love the headless motorcyclist, baby RGB Egon, and other cameos from RGB in this issue. I'm really interested to see where all this Selector stuff goes. It's also nice to see Winston more out front and playing like an equal with the guys.

Poor Ray ...

Elder Member

Easily the best book I've read this month.

Gotta say I didnt expect this until the last wed of the month. This and Ghostbusters being rereleased in theaters is awesome! I hope IDW has a promotion for this book in the trailer section.

I love this book Batwoman, TMNT, Ghostbusters, and Batman are my top 4.

Again, thanks for all the love, everybody! We're having a blast making this book!
    Comic book writer & artist. Working on IDW's monthly GHOSTBUSTERS +TMNT and Scarlet Spider at Marvel.

www.burnhamania.com
    www.facebook.com/erikburnhamfanpage
    www.twitter.com/erikburnham

Elder Member

Issue #3 preview!

Kitt! god I am LOVING this series!