Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Expat
    Music: Bill Frisell, Thelonious Monk, Jeremy Udden, oh hell, a whole ton of jazz... Calexico, Richmond Fontaine, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Nils Frahm, Chrls Schlarb, Spiritualized, old Mercury Rev. Most recent album that is the greatest thing I've ever heard: Chris Schlarb "Psychic Temple".
    BJM is one of my favorites. Man are they underrated. If I could only take one CD along on a long road trip, Tepid Peppermint Wonderland would be all I would need. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper
    Who I live with: My wife and two daughters (3 years, and 3 months).
    Whoa. I also live with my wife and two daughters with the exact same ages. Trip!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Whereas I have a deep & abiding fondness for all '50s & very early '60s sf. I singled out Them & the original Invaders from Mars & Invasion of the Body Snatchers before (&, in retrospect, should've done so with the original Village of the Damned as well, & The Day the Earth Stood Still, & maybe Earth vs. the Flying Saucers & Gorgo & The Monolith Monsters), but I pretty much like-to-love 'em all. Bill Warren's Keep Watching the Skies is, accordingly, one of my bibles.
    Huge fan of 50's and 60's sci-fi. Favorites are the underrated "Sid Pink Trilogy": Angry Red Planet, Journey to the Seventh Planet and Reptilicus. Pink created some great effects for that time period. And if you ever want to watch a movie that likely inspired Ridley Scott's Alien, watch Planet of the Vampires, and Equinox for Sam Raimi's Evil Dead inspiration.

------------------------------------------------------

Movies: The Godzilla Archive, The Steven Spielberg Archive, The John Carpenter Archive (earlier stuff), The Warriors, The Matrix, Planet of the Apes, Dazed and Confused, and The Birds (grew up near Bodega Bay and was always scared to death when visiting there as a kid).

Also love the "so bad they're good!" B-movies with rockin' 70's or 80's soundtracks, such as Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead, Laserblast, Forbidden World, Supergirl, Lifeforce, Brain Damage, Syngenor, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, The Toxic Avenger, Sword and the Sorcerer, and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

And I hope everyone gets a chance to watch Troll 2 before they die. A life changing experience right there.

TV Shows: Not much TV here but I did just pick up the first season of The Walking Dead on Blu-ray. Sooo good.

Music: I have a wide range of tastes here, from classic rock (Bowie, The Doors) to 80's rock (Van Halen, Motley Crue, Ozzy) to indie bands. Sebadoh is one of my favorites of the latter, and also Pavement, Low, Superchunk, The Raveonettes and The Pixies.

Authors: Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman weaved a world called Krynn into my brain as a teen, and it's stuck with me ever since. Enjoy re-visiting that world from time to time.

Sports Teams: I was born in San Francisco, so I am a fan of the teams from there. Was ecstatic when the SF Giants won the WS last year, and I like the new coaching staff of the 49ers. If we just had a QB we might have something special this year...but might get lucky and win the division anyway.

Favorite Comics: Grendel, Spidey, X-Men, The New Mutants, Green Lantern, and various obscurities and Underground Comix.

Other Hobbies: Besides collecting comics I also collect vinyl, and have discovered a lot of great music that never saw the light of day on other mediums. Also enjoying blogging now, and you can catch me over at Off the Beaten Panel (link in sig) where I like to talk about lesser known and unusual comics. And I can't wait to dive into Skyrim.

Professions: VOIP Tech

Favorite Outdoor Activity: Going to the Beach, Hiking, Biking, and Tennis.

Travel Destinations: I live in CA on the Central Coast, so our location is convenient for weekend getaways. Los Angeles is 3 hrs away for Disneyland (for kids) and Universal Studios (for me), and Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara are quick jaunts. But my favorite place in the world to visit is the city I was born in, San Francisco (also a 3 hr drive).

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Expat View Post
    No, it's pretty bad. And actually, since moving down to Kentucky from Chicago and no longer having access to most Cubs games, I'm doing my damndest to divorce myself from the team altogether. It's tough, because I was a true blue fan for about 35 years, but I've decided I'm not going to spend my life watching spoiled millionaires play a game badly just so I can lay on my deathbed and rue that I never saw a world series title come to the northside. I won't let my children be cubs fans, and since I now live in a state where there is no pro team, I'll probably shield my family from the curse of baseball fandom. Unless, of course, one of them shows promise with a curveball, and then I'll let them cheer for the Reds, I suppose.
    I just watched a special about Steve Bartman last night on ESPN. It was about why he is the only one who gets the blame. I thought in his case it triggered a whole foul mood and the game was lost right after it. Eventhough Alex Gonzalez made an error on a easy double play. Great special and if you can relive the pain I would recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian VI View Post

Movies: The Godzilla Archive, The Steven Spielberg Archive, The John Carpenter Archive (earlier stuff), The Warriors, The Matrix, Planet of the Apes, Dazed and Confused, and The Birds (grew up near Bodega Bay and was always scared to death when visiting there as a kid).

Also love the "so bad they're good!" B-movies with rockin' 70's or 80's soundtracks, such as Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead, Laserblast, Forbidden World, Supergirl, Lifeforce, Brain Damage, Syngenor, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, The Toxic Avenger, Sword and the Sorcerer, and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

And I hope everyone gets a chance to watch Troll 2 before they die. A life changing experience right there.
    ]
    Im a big John Carpenter fan too. I actually left out Halloween and They Live from my lists. I know They Live is famous for the fight but it had an interesting silly plot.

I have only seen Killer Klowns from that list but I should check out the rest cause I am a sucker for those movies too. Like the Sleepaway Camp movies.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian VI View Post
    And if you ever want to watch a movie that likely inspired Ridley Scott's Alien, watch Planet of the Vampires,
    And, from a few years earlier, It! The Terror from Beyond Space.

The local art house screened Best Worst Movie about a year ago, after which the male lead of Troll 2 -- now a dentist not too many counties over from here -- conducted a q-&-a. Very fun.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    The local art house screened Best Worst Movie about a year ago, after which the male lead of Troll 2 -- now a dentist not too many counties over from here -- conducted a q-&-a. Very fun.
    Eastman House had a double feature of Best Worst Movie and Troll 2 last year--no guests, but fun.

Re Carpenter: I was off him for a while, but on recent re-watches, really enjoyed Escape from New York (if only for the cast) and the Fog, which both left me cold on first runs. Watched They Live for the first time a couple months ago and liked it a lot. (On a related note, last year saw a double feature of The Fog and Halloween III, with Tom Atkins as guest--a great night.)
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by mrc1214 View Post
    I just watched a special about Steve Bartman last night on ESPN. It was about why he is the only one who gets the blame. I thought in his case it triggered a whole foul mood and the game was lost right after it. Eventhough Alex Gonzalez made an error on a easy double play. Great special and if you can relive the pain I would recommend it.
    I saw the ad for it. I'll probably get around to watching it. All I know is that the Cubs and the city of Chicago deserve another 100 years of losing for the way they threw Bartman under the bus. That guy had nothing to do with them losing, but they put the blame on him, published his home address and name, death threats directed at him... it was pathetic.

I mean, here's this poor guy, a real Cubs fan, sitting in the seats and listening to god-awful Ron Santo's broadcast on his headphones, he turns around and does what every single fan in America would do if they saw a baseball materialize in front of them... he reached for it... a foul ball... and somehow it became his fault for losing. What a joke.

Did the documentary cover the whole thing that Bartman wasn't the only one who reached for it? Wasn't there someone else who not only got closer to the foul ball, but also came away with it? A lawyer. Shocking that the papers didn't put the lawyer's name in the paper, but had no problem throwing some poor shlub under the bus... a guy who wasn't as likely to sue the papers for printing his name.

That whole Bartman episode made me hate the Cubs so much and their fans (of which I was one). Well, that and working at a Wrigleyville bar for a couple years... that'll get you to hate Cubs fans pretty quick, too.

Cheers.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MDG View Post
    Re Carpenter: I was off him for a while, but on recent re-watches, really enjoyed Escape from New York (if only for the cast) and the Fog, which both left me cold on first runs. Watched They Live for the first time a couple months ago and liked it a lot. (On a related note, last year saw a double feature of The Fog and Halloween III, with Tom Atkins as guest--a great night.)
    I've never gotten around to watching Escape from NY, but The Fog I liked fine when I saw it about 7 years ago.

As it happens, I watched In the Mouth of Madness a couple of weeks ago for the first time since I caught it on the big screen, & it held up OK. Quite a few scenes seemed to be evocative of some of Fulci's &/or Argento's oeuvre, probably none of which I'd seen when I first watched Mouth.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I don't post in here often, but I do buy alot of older comics from time to time.

Movies
    Taxi Driver, Pulp Fiction, A Clockwork Orange, The Dark Knight, Raging Bull, Reservoir Dogs, American Psycho, A Nightmare on Elm Street

TV Shows
    X-Files, South Park, Millenium, Batman the Animated Series, The Sopranos

Books
    Stephen King mostly.

Comics
    Grant Morrison, Frank Miller, Geoff Johns
    Batman, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Green Lantern, Daredevil

Music
    Mostly Weird Stuff: Ween, Butthole Surfers, Daniel Johnston, The Frogs

Also Punk Rock/ Hardcore Punk: Sex Pistols, The Damned, DOA, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat

Pre-Punk- The Stooges, Velvet Underground, Suicide

Im a big John Carpenter fan too. I actually left out Halloween and They Live from my lists. I know They Live is famous for the fight but it had an interesting silly plot.
    I've always liked Big Trouble in Little China.
    My Blog: Being A Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Beetle View Post

Music
    Mostly Weird Stuff: Ween, Butthole Surfers, Daniel Johnston, The Frogs
    Wow, The Frogs. Didn't expect to see them get mentioned anywhere. My wife has this odd box set of theirs with like 10 cds in it. Definitely to be filed under Odd Music.

Name: Michael Gallaher
    Comics: Not buying any currently, but I keep up with some via collected editions checked out from the library. Huge collection spanning 1971-2009, but mostly interested in Bronze Age, particularly the work of Jim Aparo, of which I have almost everything.
    Movies: I prefer the unconventional: David Lynch and zero-budget near-amateur films, but I also enjoy the more creative horror films, films with weird premises, Godzilla.
    Books: Again, the stranger the better: recent favorites include House of Leaves, and I've been studying James Joyce's Finnegans Wake for almost three years, reading from it almost daily--my wife says it's my Bible. I'm also devoted to the work of oddball mystery novel legend Harry Stephen Keeler--I've transcribed one of his unpublished novels for publication by Random House.
    Profession: NASA engineer, currently assigned to full-time study at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
    Personal: married with three stepkids, four step-grandkids.
    Other Interests: Composing and creating music on my digital audio workstation with synthesizers. I have a didgeridoo and a sitar that I'm working on learning to get decent music out of (I've conquered the very tricky circular breathing technique on the didge!).
    Also interested in languages, dabbling in Middle Egyptian, Russian, and Japanese, with a pretty fair comprehension already of French and Spanish.
    TV: Mostly I watch what my wife wants to watch, but my own favorites, that I mostly have to catch on my own time, are Lost and Fringe. Also a big fan of The Prisoner, and I got a big kick out of the miniseries Persons Unknown. I guess I really love stories of any type that are big, ambiguous puzzles to which one can bring ones own interpretation.
    Music: My long-time favorites are Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music, Kate Bush, Cocteau Twins, The Who, Talking Heads. Lately I've been investigating some of the more extreme and experimental genres, learning to appreciate "doom metal" like Burning Witch, drone metal like Sunn O))), grindcore, etc.
    Last edited by MWGallaher; 09-28-2011 at 08:27 AM.
    "We're Santa's elves, and we're here to tell you about ourselves!"--Summer and Eve

Wow, The Frogs. Didn't expect to see them get mentioned anywhere. My wife has this odd box set of theirs with like 10 cds in it. Definitely to be filed under Odd Music.
    Fricken give it to me!

Joking of course. It's Only Right and Natural is probably the most offensive thing I've ever heard. I can't stop listening to it lately

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWGallaher View Post
    Profession: NASA engineer
    Can anyone equal Michael's coolness factor???
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Did the documentary cover the whole thing that Bartman wasn't the only one who reached for it? Wasn't there someone else who not only got closer to the foul ball, but also came away with it? A lawyer. Shocking that the papers didn't put the lawyer's name in the paper, but had no problem throwing some poor shlub under the bus... a guy who wasn't as likely to sue the papers for printing his name.

That whole Bartman episode made me hate the Cubs so much and their fans (of which I was one). Well, that and working at a Wrigleyville bar for a couple years... that'll get you to hate Cubs fans pretty quick, too.

Cheers.
    The guy was actually in the movie the lawyer was right in the line but the wind blew the ball towards Bartman. Altogether there was about 5 people who reached for it but it just hit Bartman.

They interview quite a few fans who were at the game but the one guy who really made me sick was the one who threw the beer and wanted to beat up Bartman. You can tell now how stupid he feels now as he should.

I have only seen Killer Klowns from that list but I should check out the rest cause I am a sucker for those movies too. Like the Sleepaway Camp movies.
    The Thing is my #1 favorite of Carpenters, and then there's Halloween, The Fog, Escape From New York, Starman, Big Trouble In Little China and They Live.

His later films like Lord of Illusions, Vampires, and Ghosts of Mars are somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me.

Mentioning Sleepaway Camp just triggered that ending sequence of the first movie in my mind...a sequence I consider one of the scariest I've ever seen. The way the girl (or guy) is standing there, naked and covered in blood...mouth agape and evil eyes darting west as the image fades into a greenish hue. Not to mention the hideous hissing sound he/she is making and the scary music rising to induce tension at the perfect moment.

Yeah...I won't be watching that one again anytime soon, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey
    Yes, Best Worst Movie is a great documentary, and ya gotta love that actor that played the Dad. His "piss on hospitality" line is cinematic gold.

I thought it would be fun if everyone posts their LCS, with a picture if they have one.

Here's mine: Captain Nemo in San Luis Obispo, CA. It's a nice big store with everything from new comics to the oldies, as well as a huge library of trades. They also have a good selection of used DVD's, and I can get my vinyl fix over at Cheap Thrills next door. The employees are great and always throw in free bags and boards, as well as that giant Preview book the stores use for ordering.