Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: DC's New 52 Retailer Report: Week 3

In a week when DC declared sellouts and bloggers decried certain content, retailers continued to move New 52 launches like "Batman," noting the challenge of matching books to fans in the longterm was yet to come.

Full article here.

BANNED

"To be honest, all these DC books are rated 'Teen,' so they're not necessarily the best jumping on points for eight, nine or ten-year-olds. When parents do come in, we let them know about what else is available for kids so they don't get home and freak out because Catwoman is straddling Batman. They probably weren't expecting that in their comic book. It's a cool story, but it's definitely more in a PG-13 range."
    Though not a survey with sound scientific and demographic character, this does add weight to the concept that violence and sex in comics does have ramifications.

So far, it's kind of a mixed bag. I even got a former Goldman Sachs employee, and I looked at him like 'Really? You're going to speculate on this now?' I didn't say anything, but that kind of got me worried."
    Now this is funny.
    Last edited by Reginleif; 09-27-2011 at 12:38 PM.

I had quite a few kids get turned away cause of some of the books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cpattersoniv View Post
    I had quite a few kids get turned away cause of some of the books.
    Would you mind clarifying yourself? It sounds here like you own/ work for a store, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    Would you mind clarifying yourself? It sounds here like you own/ work for a store, do you?
    I own a store in Baltimore.

I've had quite a few parents come in with their kids and they had to turn the kids away because of the rating or because they flipped through the book and didn't like what they saw.

I've had quite a few parents come in with their kids and they had to turn the kids away because of the rating or because they flipped through the book and didn't like what they saw.
    I'm hoping this wasnt the first week for anything like this.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    Though not a survey with sound scientific and demographic character, this does add weight to the concept that violence and sex in comics does have ramifications.
    Certainly--though I think it would be more beneficial of they just made more all-ages comics to compliment the others instead of toning down material.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMic View Post
    I'm hoping this wasnt the first week for anything like this.
    No. I had one guy get turned away at the violence in Batwing.

I had a lesbian couple buy Batwoman specifically because she's a lesbian.

I had a mother buy Batgirl for her daughter who fell out of a tree and was paralyzed. Very touching story actually. Very sad.

BUT, I did have the most "outrage" over Catwoman and Red Hood.

I was in Midtown Comics' downtown Manhattan store last Wednesday and a woman was arguing, very delicately, with her eight-year-old son about the fact that he wouldn't be allowed to read CATWOMAN. She had apparently flipped through it after he took it from the shelf.

In the end, she put it back. Good for her.
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Well, Catwoman is rated T+. I'd hope she'd do her job as a parent and get her 8 year old kid more appropriate material. That's why DC has a kids line.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

DC has a kids line, but that's not what's getting all of these people into the stores. It's the new #1s. And the fact that those new #1s are turning some people away is an issue. I guarantee you those same parents that not letting their kids buy Batwing and Catwoman are not going to look for more kids oriented comics.
    Calling All Writers!
    Join the fledgling Ultimate DC Unified Fanfiction Community
    Ultimate DC Universe
    Tons of Titles still available!

I've had a number of readers drop 'Green Lantern' and 'Green Lantern Corps' that have been reading those forever. They just felt like the new series was unnecessary.
    These guys dropped the series just because the number one got slapped on the cover?
    Same Day: Batgirl, Supergirl, WW, DemonK, JLD, Dial H, Earth 2, SoS
    Maybe Later: Action, GL, Aqua, DCUP, Titans, Firestorm, Animal, Swampy, Batwoman, Worlds F, JL, Flash, PhantomS, BoP, GL: NG

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMulder2012 View Post
    DC has a kids line, but that's not what's getting all of these people into the stores.
    Perhaps thats why theres a 52 in the first place

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Famousringo View Post
    These guys dropped the series just because the number one got slapped on the cover?
    Not nessissarily (?) I know some people who are dropping these titles because they wanted to before and now is the best time since they no longer feel obligated to collect them just for a full volume.

Ido know of some people on this board, on other boards, and in real life who dropped DC entirely just because of the relaunch. So yeah, it happens. I think it's kind of stupid, but qué será, será.

Either way, I wasn't a fan of GL#1, but I wasn't a fan of Johns' GL really from the start, so it probably wasn't for me in the first place. I did kind of like GLC, but not enough to continue.
    Calling All Writers!
    Join the fledgling Ultimate DC Unified Fanfiction Community
    Ultimate DC Universe
    Tons of Titles still available!