Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: When Words Collide - Sep 26, 2011

Tim explores entry-level comics for new readers, looks at some minicomics and webcomics and reflects on the first three weeks of the DC relaunch, all through an interview with his ten-year-old son.

Full article here.

I liked this post.

This was great!

Will say for the millionth time, little boys read comics with violence and boobs and semi-swearing, so all this "we need more books about mickey mouse" talk is nonsense. When I was a kid I wanted Mad Magazine and Wolverine cutting people up.

Cool

"Action Comics" wasn't in your Top 5, or even Top 7.

But I like how Superman is young. And how he doesn't have much for powers, but he's trying his hardest.
    This is my favorite among favorites.
    First of all interviewing a 10 year old...you must be a good teacher in order to talk to kids AND communicate with children that effectively but iDigress....

But I bought 2 out of 1 DCnU comics I was slated to be interested in and ACTION COMICS was the presupposed one.
    And Andrew's assessing of the title's intent is spectacular!
    Action Comics #1 by Grant Morrison is a "BTW" from a 10 year Old. That's just COOL!!!

ACTION COMICS #1 nails some nascent hero quality. Did you watch SMALLVILLE? I just finished it on DVR last month. Then I went on a Smallville riff in my head then realized that your son was born when Smallville began as a show! Did you watch Smallville as he grew over the past ten tears? Was that something the Callahan famly watched?
    We are so immersed in the DC Superman ideal in our culture from its massive history down to its SuperSigil permeating media & western culture...

the other DCnU title I bought, read & really thought was great was BATWOMAN #1.

kriya shakti,
    Rev Sully
    The Hub of the Multiverse
    Last edited by rev sully; 09-26-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: better

"He who knows best knows how little he knows" -Thomas Jefferson

Default Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Broome View Post
    Will say for the millionth time, little boys read comics with violence and boobs and semi-swearing, so all this "we need more books about mickey mouse" talk is nonsense. When I was a kid I wanted Mad Magazine and Wolverine cutting people up.
    I have to agree with this to a very large extent. Mickey Mouse just does not fit the genre for "young males" in our society today.

Award-Accepting Ex-Editor

Timothy, both you and Michele Lee are brilliant, having your kids comment on the New 52. Thanks for a fresh spin on the craziest story in comics.

Cool Re: Michelle Lee vs. RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #1

Quote Originally Posted by psykomyko View Post
    Timothy, both you and Michele Lee are brilliant, having your kids comment on the New 52. Thanks for a fresh spin on the craziest story in comics.
    Well...after a few days and reading all the bad press on this.

I bought RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS #1. I didn't mean to but the opening splash page had me at hello. Now I have 3 DCnU titles. Dammit...

I'm kinda thinking "why one would give that title to a 7-year old" but I'm a non-judgmental kinda person. I'm not judging or saying it was wrong. Sheesh I was born in November '72. My single dad took me to see Pink Floyd the Wall the Movie as a new release at the movie theater when it came out in its initial release. RTFM & Do the Math Mouthbreather, but iDigress...
    From this vantage point I'm gonna just say maybe a young kids shouldn't be seeing this S#!t. Movies on Saturday with Dad was natural 'cuz that's what we did on my day with him. But his choice of that...not only did it give me nightmares but it's just not appropriate either. I don't have any kids so I can't judge...if I want an opinion on what to give kids to read, I should go have some kids first.
    So to Michelle Lee; I don't judge you...I liked your daughter's answers comparing Kori to her former selves.

And all in all...I really liked RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS #1 especially as a #1. The pacing covers a lot of ground fast and a lot of interet. It's young, hip & slick and by young I mean these protagonists are all early 20s. I love the new Roy Harper already. Jason Todd is still pretty much Jason Todd alright. But the new Kori...look I just started reading CASANOVA and I smell that sexiness all over this new direction.
    Go for it! I'm tuned into this title until it starts to suck or I get broke again!

kriya shakti,
    Rev Sully
    the Hub of the Multiverse
    Last edited by rev sully; 09-30-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: better!

"He who knows best knows how little he knows" -Thomas Jefferson