Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Doesn't Superman's Cape Create Drag?

Wouldn't it be easier for Supes to fly without his cape? That thing has got to create some serious drag.

BANNED

It might create drag, but drag is a non-issue for Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    It might create drag, but drag is a non-issue for Superman.
    I guess that's true. I wonder if he ever thinks, "man if I wasn't Superman this cape would be a drag. LITERALLY!" Plus if you weren't Superman you'd just be a crazy person wearing a cape falling to your death.

To me, the reasoning behind the way Supes (and others heroes) dress like that, is to be visible to the public. He is an alien with the power of a god, even if he wants to help, he would scare and terrorize people just by being him and fly around ( I mean early on his career) so he dress in blue and red and a cape, couse black leather or a mask could be even more terrorizing. That is also why he stops to be interviewed, he doesn't fly off like an UFO or something.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.JOSE View Post
    To me, the reasoning behind the way Supes (and others heroes) dress like that, is to be visible to the public. He is an alien with the power of a god, even if he wants to help, he would scare and terrorize people just by being him and fly around ( I mean early on his career) so he dress in blue and red and a cape, couse black leather or a mask could be even more terrorizing. That is also why he stops to be interviewed, he doesn't fly off like an UFO or something.
    I hear yeah. Plus the color of the cape probably makes him more visible to airplanes which is helpful. I'd also like to think that if Supes ever saw a cloud in the shape of bull he would use his cape to pretend like he was a matador.

When someone can fly because... of... umm... becasue they CAN... It's not an issue.

Physics has no hold on Superman
    I wouldn't call it Blackmail. I prefer Extortion! The "X" makes it sound Exciting!

I'm drowning and Monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils! - Dilbert

BANNED

I dont know why you would try to troll a board where people dont even know youre trolling OP.

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. - Robert Heinlen

I never really got the whole capes thing in general. They are like a trademark of Superhero's but are at the same time probably the least practical thing they could wear. I mean I guess at a push, smaller capes like Robin's could work. But ones like Supes or Bats are just asking to cause them to trip over or be abused by the villains. I've honestly thought a lot about why the original superhero creators used capes.

And yeah I know this a troll topic, but that doesn't mean I can't post a serious thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Capsizing Heart View Post
    I never really got the whole capes thing in general. They are like a trademark of Superhero's but are at the same time probably the least practical thing they could wear. I mean I guess at a push, smaller capes like Robin's could work. But ones like Supes or Bats are just asking to cause them to trip over or be abused by the villains. I've honestly thought a lot about why the original superhero creators used capes.

And yeah I know this a troll topic, but that doesn't mean I can't post a serious thought.
    A very wise man once said "Just as the sword exists only to kill, the cape exists only to look awesome".
    Slayven ftw.

"Looksky! Birdplane!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    A very wise man once said "Just as the sword exists only to kill, the cape exists only to look awesome".
    Haha! Who needs more of a reason than that.

They are like a trademark of Superhero's but are at the same time probably the least practical thing they could wear.
    No. They could wear sombreros. Now THOSE are impractical for superheroes.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Or seriously, when female heroes wear high heels. I know female superheroes are seemingly there entirely for fanservice, with things like pointless windows to their cleavage. But seriously, are we really supposed to believe they can chase people in heels?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Don't forget Fez's.

Quote Originally Posted by Capsizing Heart View Post
    Or seriously, when female heroes wear high heels. I know female superheroes are seemingly there entirely for fanservice, with things like pointless windows to their cleavage. But seriously, are we really supposed to believe they can chase people in heels?
    I usually can ignore how awkward most costume elements would be in reality, but honestly I'm w/ you on the heels even with the female characters that are "powerful enough that it wouldn't be a problem" shouldn't have heels in my opinion it just seems like a silly choice when fighting or committing crime.