Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I love this series. I got hooked on it late but am definitely on board now. Snyder is tremendous and the line-up of artists (including Sean Gordon Murphy on Survival of the Fittest) is just mind-blowingly awesome. Now we add the legendary Jordi Bernet to the list? SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Munkiman View Post
    American Vampire is the best. I didn't love this week's issue as much as usual, but it was good. I just don't love the idea of Skinner and Book having been childhood friends, it's kind of cliche. The stuff with the two of them in the Indian Wars was pretty good, though. But Snyder hasn't steered me wrong before, and I'm super excited for the 50s arc after this one. Can't wait for Rafa to come back, he just gets better every time.

Well, actually, 10 and 11 were drawn by Mateus Santolouco. But I think Albuquerque drew 1-9 and 12-18 himself.
    Yep you're right. Just checked and 12 was done by someone else too, Danijel Zezelj.

I'm completely opposite though on #19. I thought the story started off fantastic with the boys goofing around with eachother and the snake, I thought the rest of the issue was a little slow and didn't build up to a cliffhanger ending. Still 4/5 stars from me.
    Last edited by MartinNL; 10-01-2011 at 02:48 AM.

So I just read the Ghost War arc.

Anyone else think Sweet is dead? I don't. He's too good of a character.

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cpattersoniv View Post
    So I just read the Ghost War arc.

Anyone else think Sweet is dead? I don't. He's too good of a character.
    It could really go either way. I hope he's still alive. I don't feel like his story is finished.

You guys might find this interesting as well. I wrote a paper about American Vampire subtext and how the "monsters" of various cultures are represented through the behaviors of the varying species.

As for Skinner, no I don't think he's dead. I like Michael Painter's theory in the AV #18 thread about the nuclear energy. The American Vampire draws power from the sun, so the blast could have charged him to the point of being impervious.

As for AV #19, I'm not sure I'm crazy about the art, and although it will probably read fine in trade, the story's a little disappointing in serial format because we essentially have to wait three months for more of the main story. I do like the idea of expanding the Skinner-Book relationship/history, but at this point, I feel it would have been better in standalone mini like Survival of the Fittest.
    His memory's gone! Or...is it? It's not hard to fake amnesia! The Goblin is capable of anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    As for AV #19, I'm not sure I'm crazy about the art, and although it will probably read fine in trade, the story's a little disappointing in serial format because we essentially have to wait three months for more of the main story. I do like the idea of expanding the Skinner-Book relationship/history, but at this point, I feel it would have been better in standalone mini like Survival of the Fittest.
    You realize Albuquerque isn't quite able to keep a monthly schedule, right? If they did Jordi's three issues in a mini we would still have fill-ins on the main title, only they would be fill-ins for the main story and not a side-plot. I prefer this method personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    As for Skinner, no I don't think he's dead. I like Michael Painter's theory in the AV #18 thread about the nuclear energy. The American Vampire draws power from the sun, so the blast could have charged him to the point of being impervious.

I didn't think about the nuclear energy. That's a good idea. I don't think Skinner's story is done so it would be a shame if he was dead.

And Albuquerque is working on the next arc now. He needs a break every now and then. Jordi Bernet is awesome and his style fits this little side story perfectly.

I like how we've been introduced to yet another type of vampire. I wonder how she's different than the rest.

just started the series, up to #3 now. enjoying it so far...king and snyder compliment each other well

Yeah, I'd like to see them bring King back at some point for another arc or even more. I wouldn't mind going back to $3.99 for that either.
    His memory's gone! Or...is it? It's not hard to fake amnesia! The Goblin is capable of anything!

It was a combination of Batman #1 and Snyder's amazingly insightful tweets about writing that moved this to the top of my to-read pile. Dude really cares about the stories he's telling.

I first hopped on this series due to Stephen King's involvement. Quite a while later, I'm still here because of Snyder.

I gotta say, Survival of the Fittest has been a pretty fun ride. I'm going to read it over again from the start since the final issue is out.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Yeah, I enjoyed this a lot, and I'll try to reread it all this weekend.

spoilers:
    I expected more stories from the VotMS perspective, so it really shocked me that Cash died -- great death, though! -- and Felicia is cured.
    end of spoilers

Survival of the Fittest was concluded with a bang! (no pun intended) I loved this mini series and thought the extra insight and setup were great for the future of Snyder's masterpiece. Keep em comin!

I'm dressed to thrill! Murrocko's Avatar

Damn epic finale that left me with a bittersweet taste.

spoilers:
    CAASSSHHH!!!!! Why'd you have to go all badass and die for?
    Happy Gus seemingly is cured in the end though.
    end of spoilers
    "My former associate has a thing for bats? You took up a pipe to quit smoking cigarettes? Wait, howzabout - holy mistaken identity!"

--Nightwing