Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default American Vampire

I can't believe there isn't a dedicated American Vampire thread.

Scott Snyder is doing wonderful work. I just finished the first hardcover this morning and I loved it. The art was phenomenal. He did a good job of establishing the universe and Skinner Sweet. We're still learning about Pearl.

I love how he made the American Vampire have different strengths and weaknesses though I don't think I understood the no moon bit. They just get weak and hungry yet can't feed?

Discuss.

I'm a good three or four issues behind. Same with iZombie. I have the issues, just haven't gotten around to reading them. I'm waiting for the current mini to finish then I'll spend an evening catching up.
    I find the book is usually pretty good, but not great. There are much better vertigo ongoings.

On the moonless nights (the new moon phase), the American strand has no fangs and soft skin. The lack of fangs suggests they can't feed, but we still don't have many details beyond that. This was an element in that Stephen King Skinner Sweet story, but Snyder hasn't followed up on it.

I've been reading the floppies since the beginning (because of King initially), and it only gets better from that kick-ass start. Pearl Jones is easily one of my favorite characters of all time now. Also, the Survival of the Fittest, which spins out of the main series, is equally great. At first, the switching to Sean Murphy's art was jarring, but now I love his art for AV almost as much as Albuquerue's.
    His memory's gone! Or...is it? It's not hard to fake amnesia! The Goblin is capable of anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    On the moonless nights (the new moon phase), the American strand has no fangs and soft skin. The lack of fangs suggests they can't feed, but we still don't have many details beyond that. This was an element in that Stephen King Skinner Sweet story, but Snyder hasn't followed up on it.
    That sucks that Snyder hasn't followed up on it. I know there's a weakness to gold that Pearl discovered when she killed Hattie.

I really like Pearl and I'm gonna tear into (pun intended) Volume 2 tonight when I get home.

Thumbs up

Snyder does follow up on the gold. It became a big deal recently.
    His memory's gone! Or...is it? It's not hard to fake amnesia! The Goblin is capable of anything!

Yeah I have the Ghost War arc or whatever it's called. I wanted to catch up before I started reading. Also have Survival of the Fittest. Won't read that till it's done.

Have the two hardbacks. I think there's 2 issues I need to read after that. 11 and 12.

Quote Originally Posted by cpattersoniv View Post
    Yeah I have the Ghost War arc or whatever it's called. I wanted to catch up before I started reading. Also have Survival of the Fittest. Won't read that till it's done.

Have the two hardbacks. I think there's 2 issues I need to read after that. 11 and 12.
    I did exactly what you did. Read the first two hardcovers and then the monthlies after that. The miniseries is equally awesome. Sean Murphy's art is just fantastic. So very detailed. AV is easily one of my favourite monthlies at the moment.

Regarding the quote above, issue 11 is actually part of the second hardcover book, so you already have it. But I'm sure you've found that out by now. Issue 12 is a self contained story about Skinner Sweet. It's not really necessary to read before you start on the Ghost War arc. But a great issue nonetheless.

Just saw a few preview pages on the Vertigo blog for AV #19. Thought I'd post them here in case you guys missed it. I believe Jordi Bernet will do the whole next 3-issue The Beast in the Cave arc. He seems to be a great fill in for this arc by the looks of this.

Jordi is a master and I hope DC continues to give him work now that his Jonah Hex appearances will probably be less frequent.

So it's not Rafael doing the art?

Thanks for the heads up on issue 11. I just have to find issue 12 before I start reading the monthlies.

Quote Originally Posted by cpattersoniv View Post
    So it's not Rafael doing the art?
    Correct. He will be back for a long arc after this short one is over. That's the pattern they are using so Rafael has time to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome! View Post
    Correct. He will be back for a long arc after this short one is over. That's the pattern they are using so Rafael has time to catch up.
    The guy probably needs a vacation too. This book I believe has been on time for 18 issues he's drawn. And he continuously produces quality stuff!

Just finished reading Volume 2. Now I gotta find issue 12 before I start with the Ghost War arc.

Volume 2 was amazing.

It's definitely my favorite Vertigo title right now.

#19 comes out today!

American Vampire is the best. I didn't love this week's issue as much as usual, but it was good. I just don't love the idea of Skinner and Book having been childhood friends, it's kind of cliche. The stuff with the two of them in the Indian Wars was pretty good, though. But Snyder hasn't steered me wrong before, and I'm super excited for the 50s arc after this one. Can't wait for Rafa to come back, he just gets better every time.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    The guy probably needs a vacation too. This book I believe has been on time for 18 issues he's drawn. And he continuously produces quality stuff!
    Well, actually, 10 and 11 were drawn by Mateus Santolouco. But I think Albuquerque drew 1-9 and 12-18 himself.
    Action Comics, American Vampire, AV: Lord of Nightmares, Atomic Robo, Batman Inc, Batwoman, The Flash, Prophet, Uncanny X-Force