Default Mark Schultz appreciation thread

For me Cadillacs and Dinosaurs was one of the best series of the 80s, approaching The Rocketeer in quality. Schultz was one of the best draftsman I have seen.
    For what ever reason, he decided to stop drawing and turn to writing (He does Prince Valiant with Gary Gianni)
    I wish we saw more of his art, but that doesn't diminish the appreciation for what he has done.

Can't argue with that. It's like Frazetta/Williamson and Stevens all packed together. The Xenozoic Tales collection from Flesk was one of the best comic books I've picked up in the last year or so. And who wouldn't love the wild and pure adventure that is at the heart of Schultz's work?

I guess I can see why he decided to turn more to writing. It must take forever to draw as he does.

Veteran Member

Love his work as an artist and also liked his writing well enough on Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, but like many writers he's on my blacklist as far as the DC/Marvel stuff is concerned, for having failed the litmus test of writing New Gods/Eternals characters.

Luvs Comics, Tells Lies! dr_cyclops's Avatar

I'm so out of the loop that I didn't know he moved over to just writing. How sad, comics need illustrators like him so much.

Someone should chain him to a desk and make him finish his Xenozoic Tales!

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Extraordinary artist. I was very happy to see he illustrated the first of Del Rey's Conan books, "The coming of Conan the Cimmerian". (Lots of B&W illos and, for the more affluent customers, a few color plates).
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

The last issue of Xenozoic Tales is one of the most beautifully drawn comics ever, right up there with Master of Kung Fu #40 or Russ Heath's story in Blazing Combat #4. It's just utterly perfect.

Unfortunately, you can also see why it was the last issue of that series. That sort of artwork takes way too much time and effort to be profitable.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Extraordinary artist. I was very happy to see he illustrated the first of Del Rey's Conan books, "The coming of Conan the Cimmerian". (Lots of B&W illos and, for the more affluent customers, a few color plates).
    The only problem with it is that it's so good I wish he'd done the illustrations for all the other Del Rey REH books as well; or at least the other Conans. The other Del Rey REH's I've seen pale in comparison, even the best of them.

I'd love to see him do something similar with ERB books. I suppose The Land that Time Forgot trilogy would be the obvious choice with the dinosaurs, but he'd be perfect for any of them, really. I must look out for some of his art books, come to think of it. Maybe he's done some ERB work already.

Exclamation Time for a little facebook activism, ok?

Ok, guys, Mark Schultz fans one and all, this is serious.

A spokesperson for the official MARK SCHULTZ facebook page has posted some explanations, including the fact that "Mark is at this point undecided about what format the new Xenozoic story will take. He is considering both illustrated prose and comics as options."

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...tal_comments=8

"Mark isn't sure what he said at the 2012 SDCC Flesk Publications panel that was misconstrued as him announcing that the Xenozoic story he would be working on next would be a continuation of the storyline he left hanging at the end of Xenozoic Tales #14. The truth is, the Xenozoic story he will be working on after concluding Storms at Sea will be a stand-alone. One of the reasons for that is to create an easy entry point into the Xenozoic world for new readers. More importantly, he is excited about the particular story he has in mind, which will showcase Jack and Hannah's uneasy relationship, as well as giant bees.

If that stand alone story comes out well, then he hopes to get back to that vexing unfinished storyline...

Also, Mark is at this point undecided about what format the new Xenozoic story will take. He is considering both illustrated prose ( as is Storms at Sea) and comics as options. But, at this time, the decision is still up in the air. Did we mention that there would be giant bees?"
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

So please, if you're on facebook and you haven't liked the Mark Schultz page yet, go and do it now:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-S...s/223005194775

And then, go to the post in question with the announcement about the format indecision:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...51292103754776

And post a reply saying you vote for COMICS!

At least, if you agree with me that he should choose comics, of course...

There will be GIANT BEES!!

I prefer comics, for the obvious reasons, but a prose trade with several full-page illos per chapter isn't objectionable, nor is a fresh Xenozoic portfolio of art. I'll take new Schultz art, particularly new Schultz Xenozoic art, however which way I can get it.

We have already 5 unanimous votes for COMICS!

The readers' choice is clear so let's hope that encourages Mr. Schultz to choose comics too.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...51292103754776

I didn't even know he was an artist, I just liked his writing on Man of Steel. Nice pics.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Default Join the clamor!

Hahahaha! My master plan is working...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/...enexoic-tales/

We have 24 votes out of 24 in favor of COMICS and counting!

You still can join the clamor here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...al_comments=31

I used to love those packages that arrived with Cadillacs. Absolutely beautiful work.
    kalorama :Take your reason and logic and begone! We don't cotton to your like 'round here!

He was an integral part of the best run on Superman for many a year from 2000-2002. A period largely free of crossovers and events stories. I think the only two big ones were World at War and to a lesser extent Emperor Joker.

Compared to what came after that period, it seems almost a throwback to the early eighties.
    "Mistah Joker, he dead."