Page 305 of 563 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315355405 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 8435

I honestly don't know why I put that in a spoilers tag... but yeah. If the swearing is more often than occasional, then it'll become detrimental to both the character and the series as a whole.

I, personally, really enjoyed the issue. The writing is "mainstream" and "generic" (whichever term you're comfortable with), but I'm just happy it's not "classic writing" like Claremont's writing. Not to say that Claremont didn't do an amazing job back then, but he just had so much narration, thoughts, and dialogue, that it took me forever to finish one issue. I also never expected Humphries' writing to be as sophisticated as say... Hickman, which is why I'm not really disappointed because I didn't have high expectations.

I also loved the moments between Storm and Psylocke; how they talked about their relationships without, well... talking about them. Haha! I'm really looking forward to their friendship as Humphries has promised. I was talking to a friend, and mentioned that Callisto would be a great addition to the team. I don't know if she makes any sense, but I'd love the mirror: Callisto is to Storm as Spiral is to Psylocke. But yeah. Pretty random character. If anyone joined, I would have wanted it to be Rachel, but since she's in Wood's X-Men, I would have to say... I honestly don't know.

So far, this is one of the better Marvel NOW! books. It cuts straight to the point; it answers questions but still leaves enough suspense to pull us in; there's a perfect blend of comedy, action, drama, and seriousness; and the characters are being pulled into directions that are fresh and makes them interesting again. One of my fetishes (yes, the first word that came to mind to describe how I'm feeling) is when a writer humanizes a villain. I see this happening with Spiral. A lot of fans are saying, "Spiral doesn't feel like Spiral," but that's Humphries' whole point. Rather than being evil and insane, Spiral actually feels pathetic for once-- she didn't try fighting Betsy back, but she was trying to talk to her. That's definitely a "whoa" moment. It really makes me wonder what was able to do that to Spiral; and a story is supposed to make readers wonder and think and bring up discussions between one another. Definitely a plus for Humphries here. As for Fantomex and Cluster-- for all you Fantomex haters, just be glad that they are getting development that doesn't depend on Betsy. I'm not telling you to like him/them, but at least try to be open to the fact that they're there, and without being a hindrance to Betsy's character.
    .tumblr
    by the light, by the truth, by sangreal and sword and pendragon's fire
    by defender's might and dragon circle's destiny behold thy bane!

✘ stephen strange

Sadly I'm betting that any further development for Fantomex will depend greatly on Betsy, as Humphries has said that he'll deal with all three Fantomex's and thier feelings for Betsy in the first few arcs...sadly arcs and not issues...Betsy needs to be finished with him, he's brought her nothing but pain and suffering, and he doesn't seem to mind any of it as long as he gets her in the end. As for Spiral just doing something different isn't hugely noteworthy, just different. As for Betsy again swearing from time to time is fine, but doing it a lot in an effort to make her seem bad or fierce or tough or cool is definitely the wrong way to go...I just hope that Humphries doesn't have it come out that she's pining after Fantomex or anything stupid like that. She deserves far better than him...here's hoping the real Warren is back before to terribly long...
    W/B Warpath/Siryn Sam/Tabitha I'll go now............................................... ...

Shurayuki is basically the sword she uses all time/?

Far too much swearing! Swearing only has impact when it's used sparingly.

The swearing really didn't bother me. I mean she only swore four times.

"Any of you **** freaks move, and I'll cut execute your drug dealer."
    "The Avengers can go fuck themselves."
    "I'll take care of that bitch."
    "Oh shit/fuck."

It's not like every other word was "fuckshitbitchdamnsuckdickeatpussyyouwhoreslutbitc hfuckingcunt". It's been said she's acting crazy and more aggressive by both Storm and Logan so I don't really expect it to be like that for the entirety of the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne View Post
    I honestly don't know why I put that in a spoilers tag... but yeah. If the swearing is more often than occasional, then it'll become detrimental to both the character and the series as a whole.

I, personally, really enjoyed the issue. The writing is "mainstream" and "generic" (whichever term you're comfortable with), but I'm just happy it's not "classic writing" like Claremont's writing. Not to say that Claremont didn't do an amazing job back then, but he just had so much narration, thoughts, and dialogue, that it took me forever to finish one issue. I also never expected Humphries' writing to be as sophisticated as say... Hickman, which is why I'm not really disappointed because I didn't have high expectations.

I also loved the moments between Storm and Psylocke; how they talked about their relationships without, well... talking about them. Haha! I'm really looking forward to their friendship as Humphries has promised. I was talking to a friend, and mentioned that Callisto would be a great addition to the team. I don't know if she makes any sense, but I'd love the mirror: Callisto is to Storm as Spiral is to Psylocke. But yeah. Pretty random character. If anyone joined, I would have wanted it to be Rachel, but since she's in Wood's X-Men, I would have to say... I honestly don't know.

So far, this is one of the better Marvel NOW! books. It cuts straight to the point; it answers questions but still leaves enough suspense to pull us in; there's a perfect blend of comedy, action, drama, and seriousness; and the characters are being pulled into directions that are fresh and makes them interesting again. One of my fetishes (yes, the first word that came to mind to describe how I'm feeling) is when a writer humanizes a villain. I see this happening with Spiral. A lot of fans are saying, "Spiral doesn't feel like Spiral," but that's Humphries' whole point. Rather than being evil and insane, Spiral actually feels pathetic for once-- she didn't try fighting Betsy back, but she was trying to talk to her. That's definitely a "whoa" moment. It really makes me wonder what was able to do that to Spiral; and a story is supposed to make readers wonder and think and bring up discussions between one another. Definitely a plus for Humphries here. As for Fantomex and Cluster-- for all you Fantomex haters, just be glad that they are getting development that doesn't depend on Betsy. I'm not telling you to like him/them, but at least try to be open to the fact that they're there, and without being a hindrance to Betsy's character.
    Mystique would serve that role better.

Quote Originally Posted by psycwave View Post

"Oh shit/fuck."

It's not like every other word was "fuckshitbitchdamnsuckdickeatpussyyouwhoreslutbitc hfuckingcunt". It's been said she's acting crazy and more aggressive by both Storm and Logan so I don't really expect it to be like that for the entirety of the run.
    Twice is too many in my opinion. The Avengers line was fantastic, but it's impact is diluted by the other examples. I don't anything against swearing, but it feels contrived if its used repeatedly. It's the difference between being a fierce bitch and a stropish wannabe.

Psylocke's hair wasn't purple enough and her lack of 'bloody 'ell' made me stop liking the character completely. I'm so over Betsy.

Oh. And I'm sure that one of her ears was drawn slightly larger than the other one. Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Mengsk View Post
    Psylocke's hair wasn't purple enough and her lack of 'bloody 'ell' made me stop liking the character completely. I'm so over Betsy.

Oh. And I'm sure that one of her ears was drawn slightly larger than the other one. Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Twice is too many in my opinion. The Avengers line was fantastic, but it's impact is diluted by the other examples. I don't anything against swearing, but it feels contrived if its used repeatedly. It's the difference between being a fierce bitch and a stropish wannabe.
    I agree, it's the way it was conveyed Is the problem I have with the swearing other than that it didn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by psycwave View Post

"Oh shit/fuck."

I completely agree with you! Now that I've read the whole issue I see even less what the big deal was about the swearing. She really didn't do it that much and the majority of it happened when she was attacking Spiral and was understanably uber pissed off. Maybe I just don't see the big deal about her swearing 4 times because I'm such a potty mouth. Oh well .

The issue in general was good, not great or anything mindblowing, but good. It was actually a bit better than most #1 issues, which I find usually just okay. Things don't generally start to get really, really good for me until the 2nd or 3rd issue. I am most definitely staying with this. I think the only issues I had with the art are that it could've been better during Betts and Spiral's fight. The pages of the fight that we'd already seen in previews are excellent but the rest of the fight doesn't look as good. Betsy could stand to look prettier. The only times I really like the way her face looks is when she's at an angle like in the panels where she says "Be real with me..." and "I don't want to talk about it." Elsewhere, she looks off. I also didn't like how Storm's eyes stayed all white throught the issue even when she wasn't using her powers. Any Storm afficianados correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't her eyes only supposed to be all white when she's using her powers? Last but not least, Psylocke's hair needs to be colored purple. It's part of her signature look and the more recognizable she is by her physical appearance the less need for editors and artists to rely on re-using a certain costume that shall go nameless to make sure she's recognized. Other than those problems, the art was great.
    Last edited by Psyknight; 01-24-2013 at 09:14 AM.

I agree with this sentiment but lean towards more "didn't like it" because of it. Was my first exposure to Humphies and can't say I was very impressed. Seems like one of those writers that tries to make their characters cool but stumbles because of lack of coolness themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Mengsk View Post

Are you being serious or sarcastic, Daniel?

Brian Wood's new interview with Comicosity further discusses his upcoming X-Men.

Here’s a tag cloud for the first issue: meteor shower, airport chase scene, metro-north, infestation, psychic longbow, interrogation room, stasis chamber, intergalactic sibling rivalry, pacific ocean floor.
    Psychic Longbow? Is this one of the new psychic weapons for Psylocke that Brian Wood promised us?

Source: http://www.comicosity.com/interview-...akes-on-x-men/

Referring to the Callisto/Storm thing, I agree that Mystique would be a better fit. Speaking of which--
    I was reading around the X-Boards and read a post about Pete Wisdom being a good addition to Uncanny X-Force.
    Unf. He would be absolutely amazing. Perfect! Though, he's probably too busy protecting the UK from the supernatural.
    .tumblr
    by the light, by the truth, by sangreal and sword and pendragon's fire
    by defender's might and dragon circle's destiny behold thy bane!

✘ stephen strange

Brian Wood's new interview with Comicosity further discusses his upcoming X-Men.

Psychic Longbow? Is this one of the new psychic weapons for Psylocke that Brian Wood promised us?

Source: http://www.comicosity.com/interview-...akes-on-x-men/

Referring to the Callisto/Storm thing, I agree that Mystique would be a better fit. Speaking of which--
    I was reading around the X-Boards and read a post about Pete Wisdom being a good addition to Uncanny X-Force.
    Unf. He would be absolutely amazing. Perfect! Though, he's probably too busy protecting the UK from the supernatural.
    To be fair the Psychic Longbow could be used by Rachel. She likes using psychic weaponry too. I recall she used a tk hammer to battle Thor . Or maybe both her and Psylocke use psychic longbows? Either way it sounds awesome!!! Was Psylocke the first psychic to use psychic weaponry?

I'd prefer Callisto to Mystique as a new addition to UXF.
    Last edited by Psyknight; 01-24-2013 at 10:31 AM.