Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: The DC Comics New Reader Litmus Test: Week 2

DC Comics claims its relaunched number one issues are new reader-friendly, so CBR News asked non-comic book readers to weigh in on the latest batch of New 52 titles, including "Red Lanterns," "Superboy" and more.

Full article here.

I like this feature and hope it stays for the rest of September and maybe October too. No, I don't believe that there's any all knowing answers to the success of the DCnU in this, but I do like hearing what other people think. There are just some things that you can't judge when you're already wrapped up in stories.

How did Frankenstein get a meh?!

It seems like the books I enjoy the most are the least new reader friendly.
    Pull List: Action Comics, Green Lantern, GLC, GL: New Guardians, Justice League, The Flash, Batman Inc, Batman, Nightwing, Batman & Robin, Dial H, Animal Man, Frankenstien, Earth-2

BANNED

Agreed about the Lanterns Books. Red Lanterns wasn't bad at alll, but Green Lantern is frankly the most unfriendly new reader comic book I've ever... it even made me hate Hal and Sinestro a little bit.

I enjoy this feature. I would enjoy it even more if it were broadened: I'd like to see each book given to three or more new readers, and read their reactions.

And I do have to say, regarding this week's reactions, that I feel a little justified to finally see that someone else had the same reaction to Demon Knights that I had. I've been devouring comics for decades, and even I found that book to be unreadable.

The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bongoes View Post
    How did Frankenstein get a meh?!

It seems like the books I enjoy the most are the least new reader friendly.
    I think unless you've been reading comics for awhile, that type of concept is not new reader friendly (read: new to COMIC BOOKS friendly). It is pretty out there.
    "Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur

TheUltimateDeuxExMachina

They request more origin stories, but those books that were origin stories (Grifter, OMAC, Men Of War, Demon Knights) they didn't like (with Superboy being the one exception)...

Quote Originally Posted by RasmusLykke View Post
    They request more origin stories, but those books that were origin stories (Grifter, OMAC, Men Of War, Demon Knights) they didn't like (with Superboy being the one exception)...
    Grifter is a beginning book, yes, but it's certainly not an 'origin story'. We know absolutely nothing about this character other than he's apparently a con-man, and maybe aliens are hijacking people's bodies. Who is he, really? Does he have powers? Why is he putting on a mask? This whole 'writing for the trade' thing will keep most people from putting up with needing to get two or three issues to get what should be happening in the first two or three pages.

Honestly, these people come off a bit dense to me. It seems as if they completely lack the ability to fill in the blanks of a story. Every single thing has to be explained or forget it.

I have to say after being away from DC for awhile I looked towards this reboot to get me back. After reading the first round of books I was very interested, enjoyed JLA and Action and Detective among others. But it was jarring reading Batman and Robin and then Green Lantern knowing that this reboot wasn't a reboot. I know the Batman stories and I could understand the Green Lantern stuff but I can't get that Batman has had 3 Robins and everything happened that happened but the police still hate him and that Superman is new but Batmans been around forever etc etc. In this sense I am feeling less and less like I want to stick around.

I feel DC should have done a renumbering to launch their digital age but didnt trick readers into thinking that they wouldn't need to know any history since it wasn't supposed to be there.

I enjoy this series of articles, but I have to disagree with EBON to a point. I'm not sure that this is quite YET the audience DC is trying to reach. At this stage in the reboot, it seems like the PRIMARY target audience is lapsed readers. Once that consumer base grows a bit, and the sheer numbers have risen a bit, they can open up even further into the mainstream and try to reach the never-before readers. Getting the lapsed people on board will help with the word of mouth and peer acceptance that will be needed to better penetrate the "never-before" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizawle View Post
    Honestly, these people come off a bit dense to me. It seems as if they completely lack the ability to fill in the blanks of a story. Every single thing has to be explained or forget it.
    I think this is in part due to asking people to read something and be critical of those aspects. Not only does it put the reader in a mindset that is less likely to suspend belief but also leads the reader to try to come up with something that is wrong as part of their obligation.

And of course, some people are just dense.

This is at least a better assessment than last week since it doesn't seem that they just found some guys off the street and gave them a few comics. Most of the people in this article seem to be of at least average intelligence; the women in the previous article who thought that Animal Man was tapping into the mind of a Rhino made me doubt that, since most sixth graders seem to have better reading comprehension skills.

In fact, it was good call on their part to get the opinion of an associative television executive, since even if his tastes don't match up with superhero comics, he still has the professsional expertise to critique DC's marketing strategy. Trying to aim comics at the people who refused to open Grifter because of the cover art, on the other hand, seems like trying to sell video games to people who think that they're inherently childish and "uncool", in that there's no point in aiming comics at people who already have negative preconceptions about the medium.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    Why bother clicking if you've already made up your mind not to like it?

I think it's a fair look at the different audiences DC claims they're trying to reach - lapsed readers and new readers. And hey, they got some returning readers from last week. Surely that counts for something.
    Most businesses try to reach new readers or new customers, but "new readers" isn't a demographic. You can't hand a 45 year old houswife a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV and expect them to hold it in high acclaim. You have to target your readership to age and sex demographics.
    Last edited by LunarMoon; 09-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    Most businesses try to reach new readers or new customers, but "new readers" isn't a demographic. You can't hand a 45 year old houswife a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV and expect them to hold it in high acclaim. You have to target your readership to age and sex demographics.
    That doesn't seem to be the case here though. From the looks of it the readers had the option to decline reading a book, which some readers did for Grifter and Suicide Squad.

Also, seeing as all of the readers were between 20-30, I'd say this hit right in the middle of pack for readers DC would like - people who have jobs and disposable income.

A Kick up the Jacksie! Whitster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pizawle View Post
    I do wonder if these people are like this with TV as well if everything isn't explained in the first episode do they bitch and moan?
    We hate Millwall, and we hate Millwall.....

Bring back Dai Thomas