Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Pipeline - Sep 13, 2011

Augie runs down 10 of last week's New 52 and asks questions about the necessity of a relaunch, the fussiness of costumes while backgrounds are lacking and the importance of a good last page reveal.

Full article here.

Umm...
    Superman is a public crusader for all that NPR tells him is evil in the world? This could get tiring fast...
    What exactly does Superman take on in this issue that isn't flat out 'evil'?

I'm seeing no change in the bad guys from MOS, just in Superman's approach to dealing with them.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Vet Reader, PT Commentor Island Summer's Avatar

Alas, none of these are on my pull list, so Week 1 went right past me.

However, after reading reviews from all around the internet (including several on CBR) positive word of mouth has me most interested in going back to snag copies of Action Comics and Static Shock.

Coming up this week off my personal pull list: Legion Lost. Week 3 and 4 are the heavy ones.

The biggest indictment of this new launch of DC Comics, though, is that most of it could have been done without relaunching the whole universe.
    I don't think I can disagree with this more. There's no better way to appeal to new and lapsed readers than by offering them a fresh start (I'd argue that DC would have been even better off by making this a complete restart and having every title start at day 1). And I think the success of the titles so far speaks to the truth of this - not to mention all the talk of new and lapsed faces in the stores that we keep hearing about.

Also: No arms got cut off, no swords sliced through anyone's abdomens, no trains crushed any superheroes, nobody's face got cut off, and nobody got tortured. Doesn't that sound like an appealing change of pace from the rest of DC's lineup?
    Again...I can't disagree more. Comics haven't been aimed for kids since...well since well before I was reading them, and this is what it sounds like this reviewer is calling for. Why would DC want to make their relaunch look silly, or childish, or in anyway less than appealing to an adult audience, when this is really who's going to be buying them. The industry is constantly trying to fight the stigma that comics are for kids, or that childish or whatever. It would make no sense to "G-Rate, or even PG-Rate" their relaunch down.

(That's not to say I don't think kids should read comics, because we should be trying to get that market, but they should be brought into a line aimed at the are group and have them graduate to the more "adult" comics of the mainstream. This keeps your audience interested as the age.)

A full relaunch was their best choice I think. Who cares if some of the old continuity was left somewhat intact (Batman, GL)? New readers won't care, lapsed readers might fondly recall some of this history before they stopped collecting (Killing Joke for example), and current readers, like most of us, might feel a little more comfortable about this whole relauch and give us hope as we desperately struggle to find a way to insert our favourite pieces of continuity into this new timeline.

At the very least the launch has garnered some new attention and will put DC books in the hands of current, lapsed and new readers, and give them a chance to be seen in a way that launching a few new #1s per month into the current universe would not. I read about 20 DC titles a month...I'm generally a "DC guy". I'm picking up all 52 new #1s. I fully intend to cut that list in half by next month, but I'm trying new books, new characters and new creators that I would not ever have even considered reading (Static Shock, Stormwatch) had they launched on their own. And that's a good thing.

Now that DC has taken the bold move of wiping clean their numbering I'd actually like to see them reinvent how comics are numbered going forward. Maybe the "season 1, season 2, etc" approach to comics numbering could be a linewide initiative, and have all books that survive the year restart with a "new season" and a new number 1. Or maybe there's something even more clever that hasn't been thought of to give books a more frequent "fresh start". Clearly renumbering to achieve a fresh start has proven good for business, but they tend to upset us traditionalists. There has to be a way to enjoy the business and creative benefits a fresh start can give while appealing to current readers. I'm just not smart enough to know exactly what that is. But since the band-aid has been ripped off, I think DC is in a great position to start thinking about exactly what that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Summer View Post
    However, after reading reviews from all around the internet (including several on CBR) positive word of mouth has me most interested in going back to snag copies of Action Comics and Static Shock.
    And now, of course, John Rozum has left "Static Shock." I don't know who's replacing him yet, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

-Augie

Quote Originally Posted by DaronK View Post
    I don't think I can disagree with this more. There's no better way to appeal to new and lapsed readers than by offering them a fresh start (I'd argue that DC would have been even better off by making this a complete restart and having every title start at day 1). And I think the success of the titles so far speaks to the truth of this - not to mention all the talk of new and lapsed faces in the stores that we keep hearing about.
    We're talking apples and oranges here, though. I'm just talking about the stories we're seeing in the comics. My contention is that most of them aren't all that different from the types of stories DC was telling last month. With but minor tweaks -- emphasizing one portion of a character's history over another, for example -- some of these titles might as well have been published last year. The relaunch wasn't necessary for it.

I don't disagree with the idea of a fresh batch of #1 issues to appeal to a wider audience and with a marketing push towards a "fresh starting point" for one and all. I just think the contention some might have that these are stories that couldn't be told before, or that the relaunch involves a new DC past anything aside from integrated WildStorm characters and armored costumes with lots of seams, is wrong.

Comics haven't been aimed for kids since...well since well before I was reading them, and this is what it sounds like this reviewer is calling for.
    While I think it would be smart for someone to actively court the kind of superhero-crazed audience that most of comics ignores today, I was just talking about the gratuitous ugliness in so much of comics today. The New DC has been a blood bath of torture and blood and death so far. OK, that might be overstating it, but I think there are ways to tell adult stories without being quite so over-the-top.

-Augie

Quote Originally Posted by Augie De Blieck Jr. View Post
    I just think the contention some might have that these are stories that couldn't be told before, or that the relaunch involves a new DC past anything aside from integrated WildStorm characters and armored costumes with lots of seams, is wrong.
    I guess the point here is that even if the stories could have been told without a relaunch, we won't be getting the type of stories that couldn't be told with a relaunch.

So no DC equivalent of Avengers Forever which is poison to new readers.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I guess the point here is that even if the stories could have been told without a relaunch, we won't be getting the type of stories that couldn't be told with a relaunch.
    Right, so while they probably could have told most of these stories before, DC wouldn't have been able to make the "new reader" push that they're going for. And since the stories feel like they could have been told before they keep their long time followers (at least potentially).

So again, I see it as a win/win. But even with all that said, as a long time DC reader, I think I would have rather had this relaunch be a total reboot. But overall, I'm pretty happy with everything I've read so far.