Page 4 of 822 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    I know a lot can happen in a year but I'm beginning to think that the latest economic mess may mean Obama is not going to win re-election.

Which means that America is comprehensively fucked.

Bush inherited a balanced budget, an economy that was fundamentally sound despite a relatively mild recession and a largely peaceful world where America's popularity and prestige was probably as had as they'd been at any point since the immediate post-WWII era.

He destroyed all that.

Any of the current Republican candidates, starting from a far worse position, will pretty much wreck America as a world leader and as a developed country.
    Normally I would share your pessimism, but while the 70s recession wasn't as severe as what we're facing now, you could argue that Ronald Reagan also inherited a mess and did things massively harmful to the economy and America's world reputation.
    I like my women like I like my coffee. Bitter and overpriced.-Ray R.

Facts about me

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

i kind of hope that Obama doesn't win reelection. he's certainly who i would vote for. but i'm just really tired of the critics. if a republican were in office, they'd all shut up. and i could engage in some therapeutic president-bashing. either way, the economy will still be ****ed.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

History repeats. Jimmy Carter had to deal with a lot of economic woes to which Reagan rode the back of his (jimmy)hard choices--in which he used the recovery to hand out Christmas presents to people who voted for him.

The GOP wish to do this again. But Rick Perry is not Reagan. Nor is Mitt Romney.
    That being said--imagine the hostility if Obama wins a second term--after the far rate--labels this as the presidency to end all presidencies. The winner will decide the fate for ALL mankind.

That being said--I'm tired of politicians from Texas.

Also check out the Gipper dooming mankind to be ruled by Caesar

Last edited by RolandJP; 09-14-2011 at 02:31 PM.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Also check out the Gipper dooming mankind to be ruled by Caesar

And we all thought Reagan didn't get along with the Bushes.
    one of the highest principles of America is that we're a nation of people from different backgrounds living in equal dignity and mutual loyalty - Eboo Patel.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

I actually have that silly optimism that some of the hostility will actually die down once he's re-elected. I think much of the teabagging movement is propped up with tons of money by the Koch brothers with the specific goal to make him a one-termer. Same thing might be true for the obstructionism the GOP is doing in Congress: Hurt the country to make Obama a one-termer. If they fail at that, they don't really have anything to gain by, say, blocking disaster relief like they did a few days ago - it will only be their own jobs on the line then.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I actually have that silly optimism that some of the hostility will actually die down once he's re-elected.
    never underestimate humanity's need to hate something.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Disappointed Democrats who consider sitting the next election out should consider three points:

1. the Supreme Court
    2. the Supreme Court
    3. the Supreme Court

Scalia and Kenned are both 75 years old. At the end of the next presidential term, they will be 80.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is three years older still. Would you really like to see her replaced with a GOP pick?
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McEnery View Post
    And we all thought Reagan didn't get along with the Bushes.
    I've seen that pic before in a chain e-mail, complete with the same joke except replace "the Bushes" with "Obama."

I winced.
    I like my women like I like my coffee. Bitter and overpriced.-Ray R.

Facts about me

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
    These attacks are usually based on an unwritten predisposition that democrat policies are always correct and republicans always false..
    Nonsense.

They're based on the entirely documented assertion that the Republican party as it currently stands is driven by a fanatical stupidity that is massively damaging not only to most Americans but to America as a nation state.
    one of the highest principles of America is that we're a nation of people from different backgrounds living in equal dignity and mutual loyalty - Eboo Patel.

So in light of the revelation about Sarah Palin and Glen Rice, I asked out gay NBA veteran John Amaechi if Michele Bachmann had ever hit on him, and this was his reply:
    http://twitter.com/#!/JohnAmaechi/st...50843245948928
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

So in light of the revelation about Sarah Palin and Glen Rice, I asked out gay NBA veteran John Amaechi if Michele Bachmann had ever hit on him, and this was his reply:
    http://twitter.com/#!/JohnAmaechi/st...50843245948928
    LOL! Nice!
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    I can have a beer with a guy, nice but no mental giant, and have a good time and relax, but I sure as hell don't want him in any kind of position of political power. That's fucking stupid.
    Supposedly, Will Rogers said words to this effect about Dwight Eisenhower in 1952: "I do like Ike. I like Micky Mouse, too. I'm not voting for him either."
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Nonsense.

They're based on the entirely documented assertion that the Republican party as it currently stands is driven by a fanatical stupidity that is massively damaging not only to most Americans but to America as a nation state.
    Entirely documented is a bit of an understatement. Considering that the Republican politician with the most power is John Boehner who is far from the realm of "fanatical stupidity". I assume by that phrase you mean the Tea Party. Which wasn't around at the time the country got into it's current predicament. Do some politicians have to play to them. Sure. Do they have a the party in a chokehold? Hell no.

The country got into this situation because of slot of poor policy decisions made over the last 25 years. Hint: not all of them were Republican moves. And I would't say the current president us proving to be any better.

Nonsense.

Entirely documented is a bit of an understatement. Considering that the Republican politician with the most power is John Boehner who is far from the realm of "fanatical stupidity". I assume by that phrase you mean the Tea Party. Which wasn't around at the time the country got into it's current predicament. Do some politicians have to play to them. Sure. Do they have a the party in a chokehold? Hell no.

The country got into this situation because of slot of poor policy decisions made over the last 25 years. Hint: not all of them were Republican moves. And I would't say the current president us proving to be any better.

If Ms Palin decides to run after all... Would this help with winning some black voters?

http://deadspin.com/5840042/new-biog...n-rice-in-1987

That is so Strom Thurmond of her!
    It'll be the first celebrity sex tape released on Betamax...