Page 2 of 822 FirstFirst 1234561252102502 ... LastLast
    They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    A guy who still maintains a real person image (and who even the righty radio folks go after often for not being righty enough) vs. a Harvard professor.

Yeah, she'll probably win. This state makes no sense.

Trust me, there was a lot of excitement about Marsha Coakley. Then all of a sudden when she lost, it was revealed that there was never any real excitement.

David Gurgan calling it "Ted Kennedy's seat" at their debate, and Brown's strong denouncement of that, single-handedly changed the election. The institutionalized nature of that seat was immediately Cloroxed right out, as he said something even the long-time/non-liberal Dems knew was true.
    Funny, I remember Martha (not Marsha) Coakley doing about everything wrong one could do wrong in that campaign.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

And are you really one of those fools who prefers "person I'd share a beer and burned dead pig with" over "really knowledgeable person" to run things?
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Where the Highway Ends and the Desert Breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    I know a lot can happen in a year but I'm beginning to think that the latest economic mess may mean Obama is not going to win re-election.

Any of the current Republican candidates, starting from a far worse position, will pretty much wreck America as a world leader and as a developed country.
    I fear you're correct, Ian. But I have a different perspective: America as a world leader and developed country is over precisely because the citizens would elect one of the GOP candidates. In other words, Perry or Bachmann's legitimacy is a manifestation of deeper problems.

My family and I are in the early stages of contingency planning should one of these clowns be elected. Not that we'll evacuate the country on Nov. 3, 2012, but we're not the type to be caught with our pants down when something seriously fucked-up (e.g., Perry's inauguration) happens.
    "Everybody, sooner or later, sits down to a banquet of consequences." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Serik View Post
    I fear you're correct, Ian. But I have a different perspective: America as a world leader and developed country is over precisely because the citizens would elect one of the GOP candidates.
    A tad melodramatic....

In other words, Perry or Bachmann's legitimacy is a manifestation of deeper problems.
    Their legitimacy extends only to the Republican primaries. I can't see either having a shot in the general election, despite Obama's rising disapproval ratings. Mitt Romney would be the only viable Republican candidate from this lot. But right now he is in the awkward position of being forced to "Out-Perry" Perry, something that alienates moderates and independents.

A guy who still maintains a real person image (and who even the righty radio folks go after often for not being righty enough) vs. a Harvard professor.

Yeah, she'll probably win. This state makes no sense.
    Even the righty radio folks say aren't righty enough? So he's to the left of Perry, but that leaves a lot of ground even to just being a moderate.

Trust me, there was a lot of excitement about Marsha Coakley. Then all of a sudden when she lost, it was revealed that there was never any real excitement.

David Gurgan calling it "Ted Kennedy's seat" at their debate, and Brown's strong denouncement of that, single-handedly changed the election. The institutionalized nature of that seat was immediately Cloroxed right out, as he said something even the long-time/non-liberal Dems knew was true.
    Excitement for Coakley? Maybe early in her campaign - which is where we're still at with Warren, but the media was portraying her support as being fairly tepid months before the election.

And speaking of longtime Democratic seats, the Republican Bob Turner just took New York's 9th district, the seat formerly held by Weiner..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post

And speaking of longtime Democratic seats, the Republican Bob Turner just took New York's 9th district, the seat formerly held by Weiner..
    That's also one of the very few districts were Obama did worse than Kerry 4 years earlier (a highly Jewish Orthodox populace who buy into the lie that Obama is anti-Israel), so the President's current weak numbers would drive them further to the right.

And it's very likely that this seat won't even exist for the next elections because of latest census data.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Funny, I remember Martha (not Marsha) Coakley doing about everything wrong one could do wrong in that campaign.
    Oh, I don't doubt that. Once Brown got that national spotlight, that same spotlight also revealed how Coakley really had no shot if put in there against a real or credible contender.

But had the aura of the usual Massachusetts politics not been lifted, she'd have probably won. She won her attorney general re-election (and even then, it was against a Republican candidate who won via write-in, and didn't fare badly in the November election), so she has a good amount of support in the state.

BTW, calling her "Marsha" is a running joke around the state here. Barack (at his day-before-the-election appearance for her in Boston) called her Marsha right on stage to the teeming masses.

And are you really one of those fools who prefers "person I'd share a beer and burned dead pig with" over "really knowledgeable person" to run things?
    I'm a fool for liking - and preferring when facts are known - that kind of quality in a person? Wow.

And wasn't Obama a "really knowledgeable person" when he was a nominee? Because he's doing a fantastic job lifting Americans out of poverty at record rates and healing the wounds of the world with his "let me be perfectly clear"s and "pass this now no questions do it now don't play politics do what I say now even though it's what I said before and that didn't work either"s...

Hey, if her ideas are better than Brown's and she can produce a record of getting sh*t done, then good luck to her. But if she wants to play a divisive political card like others, or use a "I'm Harvard smart" rep to shut everyone else up, then I hope she doesn't even make it through the primaries.

And FYI, already the Dem pollsters are touting that "BROWN HAS VOTED WITH REPUBLICANS 90% OF THE TIME!" Even though his 1st vote was with Dems, he's known around DC has being very willing to work with Dems (to their appreciation) and the Repub masses - especially those outside the state who say Massachusetts Republicans aren't like the rest of American Republicans - have been critical about him more than a few times already. If this was a stonewalling/controversial Republican, they'd have a valid point - but when he goes out there and works with Democrats and gets a rep as a guy willing to work with ANYONE to get things done.......why not support a person like that?

I'm a fool for liking - and preferring when facts are known - that kind of quality in a person? Wow.

?
    We're not talking about a person you will go out on a date with.

We are talking about a person that will get a job where very complicated problems need solving.

Your kind of thinking made the Berlusconis and Bushs of this world possible.
    Last edited by thespianphryne; 09-14-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Yes! Why is that better than, you know, being qualified for the job? Jesus ...

And wasn't Obama a "really knowledgeable person" when he was a nominee? Because he's doing a fantastic job lifting Americans out of poverty at record rates and healing the wounds of the world with his "let me be perfectly clear"s and "pass this now no questions do it now don't play politics do what I say now even though it's what I said before and that didn't work either"s...
    Oh, and that has NOTHING to do with the racists and homophobes freaking out, electing a bunch of nitwits that have admitted to having no reason to actually accomplish anything other than to get rid of the big scary black man. Jesus Christ.
    Things My Students Say

Here Comes a Regular (the life of a boozer) UPDATED 8/18/11: 9C, depression, bluegrass, Charlie Day

I can have a beer with a guy, nice but no mental giant, and have a good time and relax, but I sure as hell don't want him in any kind of position of political power. That's fucking stupid.

We're not talking about a person you will go out on a date with.

We are talking about a person that will get a job where very complicated problems need solving.

Your kind of thinking made the Berlusconis and Bushs of this world possible, fool.
    And your kind of thinking has only made the world better, I presume? Naturally so, since I'm a fool and the name calling is well within the parameters of your shit slinging.

I come into the thread with zero hate, zero interest in shit slinging with actual eyewitness stuff from living in the state in question, and get called a fool for believing "I prefer people who speak honestly and at least seem real than people who come across as asshole douchebags (and I'm not even stone cold set on calling her that if she's got good ideas for making things better)?
    Last edited by thespianphryne; 09-14-2011 at 10:54 AM.

This, at least, gives me some hope that not everyone in America is a scared little turd.

Most Americans trust Obama over Repubs with the economy.
    Things My Students Say

Here Comes a Regular (the life of a boozer) UPDATED 8/18/11: 9C, depression, bluegrass, Charlie Day

And your kind of thinking has only made the world better, I presume? Naturally so, since I'm a fool and the name calling is well within the parameters of your shit slinging.

I come into the thread with zero hate, zero interest in shit slinging with actual eyewitness stuff from living in the state in question, and get called a fool for believing "I prefer people who speak honestly and at least seem real than people who come across as asshole douchebags (and I'm not even stone cold set on calling her that if she's got good ideas for making things better)?
    Your kind of thinking is the main reason why we can't have nice things anymore, Sean.

It put the people to power who got the world into a huge financial mess. It also happened to kill tens of thousands of innocent civilians in Iraq.

But darnit if those guys didn't seem nice and down to earth, eh!

"Vote for us, free beer for everybody!!"

"Nobody told us this job was haaaaard!"
    Last edited by thespianphryne; 09-14-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

No wonder Obama is currently eating shit in the polls. His minions (well represented here on CBR) are fucking asshole douchebags too.

Leaving thread now, animals. Enjoy shitting where you eat.
    Many of the better US Presidents are people, who if alive tody, mot of Us would not let inside their front door, Washington, Wilson and Jefferson for example. The likeability of a president has little to do with his capablity and Job performance
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rice View Post
    This, at least, gives me some hope that not everyone in America is a scared little turd.

Most Americans trust Obama over Repubs with the economy.
    I like that picture with the article. Obama looks youthful and Biden looks like he's about to tell some whippersnappers to get off the lawn.