Page 815 of 822 FirstFirst ... 315715765805811812813814815816817818819 ... LastLast
Results 12,211 to 12,225 of 12317

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    Or simple, the legislature of the state voting to secede will be arrested by US Marshals, failing that the US Marshal's with the assistance of the US Military with resistance being treated as a act of armed insurrection subjected to military kinetic res poses. The legislators who voted for secession, being given fair trials and full due process then upon conviction being executed.

The last time States played that silly assed game 5% of the US population died, so stomping folks to try it again is reasonable
    I understan what you're saying mike and tend to agree but this reaction woudl simply feed the sense of victimization and paranoia.

Why not just point out that you'd need a constitutional amendment to make secession legal first, followed by an Act of Congress and then a a plebiscite.

Can we agree too, that hypothetically there might be soem possible future scenarois where peaceful secession made sense? Might Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico one day decide they wanted independence?
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Wasn't the First Dude a member of one of those Alaskan secessionist groups? The last election really was a lot more fun.
    A Fool for the Foom

I just came across an Evangelical Christian blog that posted this:

Like the mass suicide of Jim Jones’ Peoples Temple, the disaster of the Challenger space shuttle, and the shock of the original 9/11 terrorist attack, the outcome of our nation’s most recent Presidential election hit me hard.
    WTF? It's so bizarre I don't even know how to process it.

And what 's really sad (sad for me because I am a Christian), is the subtext that believing in Jesus makes you crazy.

This is how the species will get stronger.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    I just came across an Evangelical Christian blog that posted this:

WTF? It's so bizarre I don't even know how to process it.

And what 's really sad (sad for me because I am a Christian), is the subtext that believing in Jesus makes you crazy.
    I don't think it's this way around.
    While a lot of sane people believe in divine powers, it seems kind of logical that people who are detached from reality already are more likely to believe in things that cannot be seen or proven.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I don't think it's this way around.
    While a lot of sane people believe in divine powers, it seems kind of logical that people who are detached from reality already are more likely to believe in things that cannot be seen or proven.
    I was posting a rhetorical rant rather than a statement or question. I probably shouldn't have done that because I don't want to get into a discussion or debate about it.

As a parting comment, I think people have a tendency to believe bull shit that reinforces their world view rather than do the hard work of thinking through facts that run contrary to it. That tendency is shared by atheists and religious people alike.

sadly, this petition was removed

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    This is how the species will get stronger.
    The guy was already unhinged, and this was either the straw that broke the camels back or a convenient (although most likely subconscious) excuse for suicide. But y'know, even if he was just some run-of-the-mill dipshit, stupid people are still people, and it's sad that someone's mental state deteriorated to the point where they take their own life, and I don't think comments like yours are very funny.

It's amazing how much conversation these secessionists generate, when all we have to say is "Money speaks louder than ideology" and be done with the whole pointless discussion.

I'd sign the secession petitions if it wasn't peacefully.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    It's amazing how much conversation these secessionists generate, when all we have to say is "Money speaks louder than ideology" and be done with the whole pointless discussion.
    It's absurd the amount of press these silly things have gotten. They're a fart in the wind. Even the one with the most signatures make up less than 1/2 of 1% of the population of the given state. And I'm tired of "states are petitioning to secede" b.s. No states have asked to secede. Some outliers have signed an online petition. That is not an action of any state actor.

There's a lot of lazy thinking happening on all sides of this deal.

Mitt's 'gifts' excuse is hampering the stellar GOP minority outreach

Republicans After ‘Gifts’ Comment: Get Off The Stage, Mitt

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    It's absurd the amount of press these silly things have gotten. They're a fart in the wind. Even the one with the most signatures make up less than 1/2 of 1% of the population of the given state.
    And they're not even necessarily *from* that state. Georgia's 'petition' currently has 30,018 signees. I looked back over the last 118 signatures, and only 53 are identified as being from Georgia residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    It's absurd the amount of press these silly things have gotten. They're a fart in the wind. Even the one with the most signatures make up less than 1/2 of 1% of the population of the given state. And I'm tired of "states are petitioning to secede" b.s. No states have asked to secede. Some outliers have signed an online petition. That is not an action of any state actor.

There's a lot of lazy thinking happening on all sides of this deal.
    Yeah, NEITHER side is taking into account that, for the most part, Obama got 40% of the vote in those states.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    And they're not even necessarily *from* that state. Georgia's 'petition' currently has 30,018 signees. I looked back over the last 118 signatures, and only 53 are identified as being from Georgia residents.

This too. I haven't been arsed to check, but I suspect there's a lot of overlap on the signatures from the various states. I'm pretty sure I read that the "New York Petition" was started by someone who lives in North Dakota.

So...yeah.