Page 788 of 822 FirstFirst ... 288688738778784785786787788789790791792798 ... LastLast
Results 11,806 to 11,820 of 12317
    Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    He could be if the republicans didn't silence him.
    :-(
    There are some unpopular things he says, from either party's perspective. I think the GOP Fundamentalists just don't like that he thinks we should isolate ourselves from Israel, primarily.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    There are some unpopular things he says, from either party's perspective. I think the GOP Fundamentalists just don't like that he thinks we should isolate ourselves from Israel, primarily.
    Neither do many dems, I would bet.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Citizen United and dark money lost big time.

the biggest loser was Adelson, who couldn't fund a winner, including way back in the primaries

the most nervous, Rove, who made so many promises to the millionaires and billionaires and failed to deliver. failed miserably

Not to mention the naive caveman mentality with the Gold standard.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post

the biggest loser was Adelson, who couldn't fund a winner, including way back in the primaries

the most nervous, Rove, who made so many promises to the millionaires and billionaires and failed to deliver. failed miserably
    Yeah, I have to imagine there are a lot of pissed off millionaires looking to put Rove on the carpet this week.

On the turnout, early estimates are Hurricane Sandy may have prevented as many as 800,000 from voting. Stricter voter ID laws, or say, less time for early voting may have also reduced it a bit.

Factor in that nobody was as passionate about Obama after the high expectations weren't met, and Romney was underwhelming and had some near record low favorability ratings for a candidate (at least Mondale is always there), and you get a lack of enthusiasm.
    Oh, sure, Hurricane Sandy may played a factor in voter turnout in New York and New Jersey, but that's more or less an isolated incident. Also, with regards to stricter voting laws and early voting, that apparently wasn't that big of an effect. In fact, more young people voted in this election than they did in 2008. Also, North Carolina had virtually the same voter turnout this year as they did in 2008. So, taking that into consideration, it looks like the biggest factor was a lack of enthusiasm overall on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I'm confused as to who was saying enthusiasm was up.
    Well, the conventional wisdom during this election was that support for Obama was down compared to that of 2008 while enthusiasm for Romney, especially among Republicans, was on the rise. Even some Democrats, as far as I know, believed this. But as it turned out, while that might have been true for Obama, it didn't turn out to be the case for Romney. This could have been attributable to many things, such the effect of negative ads (which, apparently, Obama had more negative ads than Romney), disillusionment with the political process, both parties and both candidates, and also less enthusiasm for the candidates.
    --Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

hopefully, all the 'conventional wisdom' from the same msm personalities, that face no consequences for being wrong, will eventually retire. new blood is needed to say the same things they've been saying for decades, because i sure as hell don't expect them to change their narrative, but i can hope to see new faces.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
    What qualifies Obama to run a country?
    Besides his four years running a country, you mean?
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

The U.S. have the most progressive tax system in the industrialized world. Progressives seem to conveniently ignore this point, emphasizing the need for even greater progressivity in our tax code: Makes it easier for moocher to receive welfare disguised as "refundable tax credits" and increase the tax burden on the evil rich.

So how "progressive" is our tax code?

That question leads to a blog post by a professor and chairman of the economics department at Harvard University, Greg Mankiw. He took the latest CBO report and ran some numbers for 2009, the most recent year for which we have records. Now..... he wanted to look at not only the amount of taxes someone paid, but also how much money individuals got BACK from the government in the form of refundable tax credits, welfare payments, entitlements and other government goodies.

Again .. to do this we divide income earners into five levels - quintiles. You have the poor, low income, middle income, high income, and the wealthy. So here are his calculations for the taxes each income level pays. What this economist measured here is the amount of taxes the members of these income groups paid TO the government minus the amount of money these people got back in the form of various government payments.

Bottom quintile - the poor: -301 percent

Second quintile - low income: -42 percent

Middle quintile: -- middle income -5 percent

Fourth quintile: -- upper income -10 percent

Highest quintile: -- high income +22 percent

Top one percent: -- the evil rich +28 percent

As Greg Mankiw explains, the bottom quintile of Americans are essentially receiving $3 in unearned income from the taxpayers for every dollar they earn. He also points out something rather critical, and this is the fact that the middle quintile of taxpayers is in the negative, which means that they are net tax consumers. That is almost a 20 point swing since 1979, when middle income earners were tax contributors.

This explains how 50% of Americans pay no income taxes at all.... and instead absorb tax money paid by others.

Now..... in light of all of this, why are Democrats in general, and Obama in particular, so completely obsessed with the idea of raising taxes on the rich. Politics .....all politics. They know full well, as history has repeatedly shown, that raising taxes on the most successful and highest achieving Americans will not result in increased tax revenues. In fact, the increases might even result in lowered tax revenues. None of this matters though. The purpose here is to energize the Democrat voter base like all of you. Tell these people that all of those evil rich people who have been earning all that money .. those people who drive nicer cars and take luxurious vacations .. well it's just not fair that they have so much money that they don't need, and we're going to do something about it. We'll take it from them so we can spend it on you. Guaranteed vote-getter.

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2012/...transfers.html
    Daddy will give you a lollypop if you can

a. explain how a study totally focused on the US tells us that the US "has the most progressive tax system in the world"

b. why the choice of 2009 as the year to make this comparison is signficant; and
    c. if you can find a link to a source showing total effective tax rates for Americans of different income levels taking into account social security taxes; state and local income taxes and federal, state and local indirect taxes.

Clinton, moved to the center after his second term and worked with the Republicans in congress. Obama is no Clinton. He is even far to the left of Jimmy Carter.
    Your reply ignores every sbstantive point I made.

While this saddens me, it no longer surprises me.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post

I wonder if Rove took any calls from Adelson or the Koch Brothers
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Obama is about as left as Nixon.
    What the hell are you on about?
    Oh please, Obama's system of publicly subsidised private health insurance is obviously far to the left of Clinton's proposed single-payer national health care system.

Obama's policy of targetted assassination of Taliban leaders is obviously far more doveish than Clinton's attempts to establish diplomatic relations with the Taliban government of Afghanistan.

Clinton's assault gun ban is far less extreme than Obama's - total silence on the issue.

Clinton's repeated infidelities including with Ms Lavinsky are far more in line with traditional Christian values than Obama's complete fidelity to his wife and his obvious adoration for her and their daughters.

Obama's skin is far more... Sorry we're not supposed to mention that.
    Last edited by Iangould; 11-08-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I wonder if Rove took any calls from Adelson or the Koch Brothers
    i doubt it, they didn't give Rove their money as they have their own PACs and organizations.

there are only a few names that have been revealed due to how Rove gamed the system.

Go tell that to the Canadian women with breast cancer who can't get treatment in Canada.
    Please name one of those women or provide any reason to believe they exist?
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Clinton, moved to the center after his second term and worked with the Republicans in congress. Obama is no Clinton. He is even far to the left of Jimmy Carter.
    Obama is actually to the right of both of those gentlemen, his healthcare plan was even to the right of Nixon's plan
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied