Page 1 of 822 123451151101501 ... LastLast
    They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Default Between Barack and a Hard Place: Ultimate US Elections 2012 Thread

As the Republican nomination one is a tad limited.

First up:
    Could the Democrats win back Ted Kennedy's old seat?

WASHINGTON -- Consumer advocate and former White House official Elizabeth Warren will announce on Wednesday that she is running for the United States Senate seat currently held by Scott Brown (R-Mass.), a close source tells The Huffington Post.

The announcement will not come as a surprise, as Warren has spent the last few weeks traveling across Massachusetts and speaking at several high-profile political events as part of a statewide listening tour. Still, her formal entrance into the race is likely to be cheered by progressives and national Democrats alike, as Warren is both beloved by the base and represents one of the party's best chances to unseat Brown.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_960510.html
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Given the kind of support Warren gave for the Consumer Protection Agency, the support she had among liberals to head it and the loop the Obama administration jumped through in order to have her set it up when they couldn't get her appointment to head it through congress, I can only imagine good things if she wins it.

Scott Brown is a very good campaigner though. Hope she's a better campaigner than his last opponent (which, admittedly, wouldn't be hard to do).

You're voting for politicians... It's like asking whether you want a funnelweb or a taipan down your dacks.

Vote with your mind and your heart and hope for the best.
    " Why do stars suddenly appear, every time I drink beer ? " ~~~ Karen Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Cam63 View Post
    You're voting for politicians... It's like asking whether you want a funnelweb or a taipan down your dacks.

Vote with your mind and your heart and hope for the best.
    While drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    As the Republican nomination one is a tad limited.

First up:

I think whoever faces Scott Brown in MA is going to have a rough time. He was pretty popular when he won the seat originally (it takes a hell of alot of support for a Republican to win a in MA). According to an article I just read online he has an approval rating o 73%. Which is well ahead of his two most prolific Democrat counterparts in the state (Deval Patrick an John Kerry). Another thing is that 96% (according to the same article) of Republicans support him. Which is a little surprising since he doesn't always vote along the party lines. He hasn't many i any major missteps in the state. And this year he is an incumbent fighting off a newcomer. In comparison to last election, where he was a newcomer trying to take the seat after it been held by Ted Kennedy for so many years. Massachussetts is a very liberal state, but Brown has managed to find a way to be a Republican and non threatening one at that in a very hostile political environment. If the election happened right now I'd say he takes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
    I think whoever faces Scott Brown in MA is going to have a rough time. He was pretty popular when he won the seat originally (it takes a hell of alot of support for a Republican to win a in MA). According to an article I just read online he has an approval rating o 73%. Which is well ahead of his two most prolific Democrat counterparts in the state (Deval Patrick an John Kerry). Another thing is that 96% (according to the same article) of Republicans support him. Which is a little surprising since he doesn't always vote along the party lines. He hasn't many i any major missteps in the state. And this year he is an incumbent fighting off a newcomer. In comparison to last election, where he was a newcomer trying to take the seat after it been held by Ted Kennedy for so many years. Massachussetts is a very liberal state, but Brown has managed to find a way to be a Republican and non threatening one at that in a very hostile political environment. If the election happened right now I'd say he takes it.
    He made a lot of party-line votes that probably flew under the radar of the left-leaning Mass. electorate, but that will make for effective ads against him.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

He made a lot of party-line votes that probably flew under the radar of the left-leaning Mass. electorate, but that will make for effective ads against him.

Sure but thats nothing compared to most Republicans. When he was voted into office everyone knew he would be voting Republican more often than not. But he isn't as beholden to them like 90% of the republican congressional office holders who vote pretty much in gridlock. He's more moderate than anything else. Hell in a quite a few states he'd be accused of being a Democrat (cough Texas). I don't think the fact that a Republican voted with Republicans on a good deal of occasions is going to hurt him. Especially when he has a better case to make that he has stepped across the isle more than most of his counterparts. I think if he's pulling astrong approval rating now he's in good shape for this one.

I also don't think any of his votes are going to prove to controversial in MA. He conceded and voted Democrat on most of the big ones that he knew would matter to his constiuents. For the most part he voted Republican on the ones that mattered to his party but weren't in direct opposition to the MA voters.

And hell one of the primary reasons he was voted Senator in the first place was to make a Republican party line vote to filibuster the health care bill.

He'd need a major screw up. Which I really don't think he's made quite yet. And a very strong opponent who can make a very good case for being better than him. And it would have to be something a little more than the "I'm a democrat in MA vote or me" approach that they tried last time.

If Ms Palin decides to run after all... Would this help with winning some black voters?

Apparently Palin had a fling with former Heat/Hornet/Laker Glen Rice while he was in college and while she was a sports reporter in Alaska, all the way back in 1987. Rice confirms it in the book.
    http://deadspin.com/5840042/new-biog...n-rice-in-1987

That is so Strom Thurmond of her!
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

**snickers at the stereotypical '80s hair**
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Seems that GB Trudeau got an early look at the upcoming unauthorized Palin book, too:

A promotions genius, author McGinniss first made headlines when he appointed himself Ms. Palin’s biographer, moved to Wasilla, Alaska, and rented the house next to Palin’s, the better to observe her comings and goings (and prompted an angry Facebook response from the former governor). This time, McGinniss gave out several copies of his unreleased biography of Palin, “The Rogue: Searching for Sarah Palin,” including one to Doonesbury cartoonist Trudeau, who previewed the book in Tuesday’s Doonesbury comic strip.
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapt...medium=twitter

Oh, and double ugh:

The Chicago Tribune decided not to run the Doonesbury comic strip Tuesday and any other day the strip dealt with the book.

“The subject matter does not meet our standards of fairness [because] the strips include excerpts from a book that is not yet on the market and therefore unavailable for review or verification by the Tribune," they wrote in an editorial note.
    Do they hold the Family Circus to such high standards??
    Last edited by the4thpip; 09-14-2011 at 01:40 AM.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
    And it would have to be something a little more than the "I'm a democrat in MA vote or me" approach that they tried last time.
    Did you miss the announcement? It's Elizabeth Warren. There is a lot of excitement among Democrats about her running.

Here is her announcement video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2H3...&feature=share
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX2000 View Post
    While drunk?
    It may help.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    **snickers at the stereotypical '80s hair**
    What was it with some women back then ?

Did your style only rank if your hair brushed on the top and sides when you passed through a doorway ?

I never got it. They looked worse than dopey.

...and if J.A.P. responds, I will throat punch him.

I know a lot can happen in a year but I'm beginning to think that the latest economic mess may mean Obama is not going to win re-election.

Which means that America is comprehensively fucked.

Bush inherited a balanced budget, an economy that was fundamentally sound despite a relatively mild recession and a largely peaceful world where America's popularity and prestige was probably as had as they'd been at any point since the immediate post-WWII era.

He destroyed all that.

Any of the current Republican candidates, starting from a far worse position, will pretty much wreck America as a world leader and as a developed country.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

A guy who still maintains a real person image (and who even the righty radio folks go after often for not being righty enough) vs. a Harvard professor.

Yeah, she'll probably win. This state makes no sense.

Did you miss the announcement? It's Elizabeth Warren. There is a lot of excitement among Democrats about her running.
    Trust me, there was a lot of excitement about Marsha Coakley. Then all of a sudden when she lost, it was revealed that there was never any real excitement.

David Gurgan calling it "Ted Kennedy's seat" at their debate, and Brown's strong denouncement of that, single-handedly changed the election. The institutionalized nature of that seat was immediately Cloroxed right out, as he said something even the long-time/non-liberal Dems knew was true.
    Last edited by Sean Walsh; 09-14-2011 at 06:04 AM.