Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: DC's New 52: Retailer Report 1

After the first full week of comic shops sales, CBR talks to retailers across the country about DC Comics New 52 titles to see what the fan response was, what shop owners want to see next and what books beyond "Justice League" hit big.

Full article here.

I'm glad one of the retailers mentioned The Huntress and Penguin mini-series coming out in October. And is encouraged that sales look good on those. I hope readers don't forget that they are coming out with some others and give them a chance.

I really think that retailers should've ordered more issues than they did. I was just told by my LCS that I probably would not be able to get Grifter cos I only ordered last week. like wtf?

"The best thing about this is that we're not seeing people buying multiple copies to try and flip on eBay"

This really made me feel good.

I went into my comic shop last Wedneday afternoon and many of the titles I wanted were sold out. I was bumbed. I made a decision then and there to quit buying comics altogether and finally swith over to trades. So I'm officially done with floppies and it was because of the difficulty in finding what I wanted. I'm not bitter though. I 've been saying I should switch to trades for a while (specifically after being so badly burned with Countdown). I'll just have to be patient until next spring...

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxmcc View Post
    I went into my comic shop last Wedneday afternoon and many of the titles I wanted were sold out. I was bumbed. I made a decision then and there to quit buying comics altogether and finally swith over to trades. So I'm officially done with floppies and it was because of the difficulty in finding what I wanted. I'm not bitter though. I 've been saying I should switch to trades for a while (specifically after being so badly burned with Countdown). I'll just have to be patient until next spring...
    Can't you get a pull list at your store?
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmcc View Post
    Yeah, just get a pull list and for issues you can't get, go get the 2nd print, almost everything is getting a 2nd print. Also, if you still can't theres always the digital format

I could have gotten a pull list but I didn't make up my mind about what I wanted until the last minute. Like I said, I've actually been looking at switching to trades for a while and the lack of issues available was the precipitating factor. I'm happy about this now.
    I'm currently reading all the Starman Omnibus hardcovers and Jeff Smith's RASL and loving them. That should hold me for a bit as I make the transition to trades.

So far, so good. Initially very encouraging.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

My FLCS owner held onto a few extra for his "regular customers" otherwise I would have missed Batgirl's first printing. Those that were already on my pull list were, natch, waiting for me. One of the reasons I may yet expand my pull list in the short term at least :) Hopefully a large chunk of those that bought up and continue to buy up the #1s will be returning *Knock on wood* but I'm sure it will drop. It always does. Hopefully it won't drop as MUCH
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

"The last thing DC should have to worry is that new customers can't buy the books they're excited about, but that looks to be the major problem DC faces this month. We've been contacted by a number of stores nationwide looking for key books, and that's something for which DC should've been better prepared."

DC? Really? You want to put the blame on DC because you didn't order enough books? News for ya, buddy, DC has digital now so people don't have to worry about comic stores misjudging or shorting their own customers. It's this kind of crap that stopped me going into my local stores years ago. Man up - you screwed up. Run a business - don't try to place blame.

Quote Originally Posted by ryokowerx View Post
    "The last thing DC should have to worry is that new customers can't buy the books they're excited about, but that looks to be the major problem DC faces this month. We've been contacted by a number of stores nationwide looking for key books, and that's something for which DC should've been better prepared."

DC? Really? You want to put the blame on DC because you didn't order enough books? News for ya, buddy, DC has digital now so people don't have to worry about comic stores misjudging or shorting their own customers. It's this kind of crap that stopped me going into my local stores years ago. Man up - you screwed up. Run a business - don't try to place blame.
    I have to agree with this. DC has done A LOT to push and promote this launch, including some outstanding incentives for shops to over order on things, and delay their printing as long as possible to meet demands.

There comes a point where store owners have to take responsibility for running their stores. And a big part of that is talking to their customers and gauging what they might be buying in the future.

This was interesting and I'm glad the retailer reaction has been positive. I'd like to see the reactions of some smaller more rural shops. They're the ones that really need the boost in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by DaronK View Post
    I have to agree with this. DC has done A LOT to push and promote this launch, including some outstanding incentives for shops to over order on things, and delay their printing as long as possible to meet demands.

There comes a point where store owners have to take responsibility for running their stores. And a big part of that is talking to their customers and gauging what they might be buying in the future.
    I think some stores do very well on this. But I think it's also true that some stores are just awful at this. And this definitely hurts the industry.

I think DC has been very supportive of the retailers on this move; I can't think of much more they could have done on this. At some point, retailers, AS A WHOLE, have to be cannier businessmen.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Just one thing about the retailers being sold out: Never forget that the risk is wholly on the retailers — not DC. DC prints initial orders plus a small percentage for increases… and then, if there's further demand, makes a second printing.

Thus, when I ran a comic store, I could order 25 copies of Green Arrow #1 for my customers and discover only 10 thought it was worth taking home — leaving me with 15 copies to burn out at whatever I can get for them. On the other hand, I can order 25 copies of the same issue and end up with demand for 50.

There's no proper gauge for this, ESPECIALLY with DC trying to use this to push new readers into stores. A retailer can guess what his customers want, but if 20 people walk though the door because they want it, that's something you cannot predict.