Default Tony Stark's Shrapnel Removal

I heard that Tony Stark aka Iron Man got to remove that piece of shrapnel that was threatening his heart and inspired him to build his suit in the first place. When did this happen?

Jez, that was a loooong time ago, I think mid to late seventies.

BANNED

I first read it in Iron Man's bio in an encyclopedia book were his sentient armor gave him a new heart. But then it was retconn in Ellis's Invincible Iron Man Extremis book that when he escaped had surgery done to remove the shrapnel.

He had a heart transplant in Avengers #69.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerkaya View Post
    I first read it in Iron Man's bio in an encyclopedia book were his sentient armor gave him a new heart. But then it was retconn in Ellis's Invincible Iron Man Extremis book that when he escaped had surgery done to remove the shrapnel.
    That wasn't a retcon. Basically, Tony's gone through a series of life-threatening conditions, followed be being healed from them. First he had the heart condition, then he didn't. Then his entire nervous system broke down, paralyzing him. He got better. Then he went, in this order, evil, teenaged, and dead. Got better from all three. Then a rogue sentient Iron Man armor replaced his heart. Extremis solved that. Now he needs the disc in his chest like in the movie and has to charge it periodically again, because why not?
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

I found this link that listed all the medical problems and body modifications Tony has gone through. My knowledge of IM is missing a few chunks here and there so I can't say if it's comprehensive or not but it's good to take a look.
    http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/05/07...tion-timeline/