Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Simone Adds "Batgirl," "Fury of Firestorm" to DC's New 52

Writer Gail Simone spoke with CBR News about her plans for the new "Batgirl" and "The Fury Of The Firestorm" series, as well as her reservations and hopes for DC Comics' New 52.

Full article here.

BANNED

Im so torn. Part of me doesn't care about the relaunch but when I hear a writer talk so passionately about her work I'll be damned if it doesn't make me want to go out and pick up both these books and check them out.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

I asked for him to consider Batgirl as someone with extensive and brutal ballet training -- we wanted her to move unlike the gymnasts and brawlers of the DCU. She's got grace. He's drawing that perfectly.
    "brutal ballet", really!? That just sounds ridiculously...awesome! Can't wait to see it in action [IMG]http://www.****************/smileys/smiley-excited001.gif[/IMG]
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-06-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Just a tad bit EXTRA! token_member's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf View Post
    Im so torn. Part of me doesn't care about the relaunch but when I hear a writer talk so passionately about her work I'll be damned if it doesn't make me want to go out and pick up both these books and check them out.
    Right?

I can't stand Firestorm, never have. Don't like him as a character and hate his costume...so much so that I think Lumiere from the Beauty and the Beast Disney movie swagger jacked his look and actually made it work. However, Gail actually managed to make me curious and interested in what she and Van Sciver are cooking up for him. And for me, a minority character sweetens the deal. Ugh, guess I'll have to give it a try. **scrounges around pockets for loose change**
    "The original Wonder Woman was changing the world to fit women. This one seems changed to fit the world." -Gloria Steinem

I'll get Batgirl. FoF is a pass.

Senior Member greatmetropolitan's Avatar

It really says something for Simone that she can make me consider buying a Firestorm book with one interview.

Still not picking it up, but I was thiiiiiis close
    Buy or download my first self published comic, Taking Flight!
    Available at www.laseragecomics.co.uk

That interview was money.

So pumped for Batgirl and Firestorm

Gail saying that creators have turned it up an notch to meet the challenge of the relaunch is gold!

Can't wait for Wed!

I love the brutal ballet angle but now I can't get the image of Batman in legwarmers giving the Debbie Allen "Fame" speech to Babs and Dick.

"You want fame...er..justice? Well fa...um...justice costs! And right here is where you start paying. With sweat."
    I'm crushing your head fanboy! I'm crushing your head!

If someone had told me four months ago I'd be looking forward to Firestorm more than Batgirl I'd have laughed. But I am. Gail has done a great job selling the book to someone who described the character as a "complete nobody" after the book was announced.

Of course part of that is my ambivalence towards Batgirl. I'm sure Gail is writing the hell out of it but it has too much baggage, what with Steph's limbo and the demotion of Babs.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain" Steven Pinker

Batgirl is a must buy because it is the return of the one TRUE Batgirl!

Firestorm I might buy if they focus on the one true Firestorm and not the johnny come lately dude!

NUFF SAID!
    Pull list: Almost every Marvel book, Age of Bronze, Captain Midnight, some Dynamite & Image. I AM DC COMIC FREE!

Firestorm, I am curious about.
    Gail and Ethan make for an interesting writing team.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

I've been on the fence about Firestorm since it was announced, but this interview has convinced me to at least pick up the first issue, and then decide from that point on if I want to keep reading. I'm also really on the fence about Batgirl. I couldn't care less about the character, but damn that cover art is gorgeous!

And...I'd be lying if I didn't want to buy some books with strong female characters that my girlfriend might read.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

See.. I like too much already. Yes, Batgirl looks amazing. But what it comes down to is.. trying to not fall in a big BAT hole. I'm thinking I can get Dick's book without falling into the big bad Bat Cave, but maybe I can't do that. Babs would suck me in. So it's just Firestorm the Nuclear Men for me. Not because Batgirl doesn't look fantastic, but because I know it's the little taste that sucks me into the whole Bat-Family.

Forgive me Nightwing if I have to pass on you, too
    Did Wonder Woman and Superman just catch an aircraft carrier?

Still on the fence about Batgirl. I really prefer her as Oracle, but Gail is top notch and Syaf's art really looks great.

Having said that, I didn't have a lot of interest in Firestorm despite having bought it in the past, and apparently being one of the few that really liked the Jason Rausch Blackstorm.

I'm going to bite and give it a try. Multiple Firestorms sounds cool. Let's see where this goes.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Simone is one of my favorite comic book writers so I'll definitely be giving both #1s a chance.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams