Default When the new 52 were released

I had a thought well browsing dc solicits for action comics.

would it have better to relaunch in january

So everything starts new at the beginning of the new year. I think part of the reason some people didint like the change is because it was so sudden.

if they started in janurary they could have had 5 months to wrap up there books properly and not be rushed.

anyway thats what i think how about you guys.

Nah, the two to three months they had to wrap up things should have been sufficient. If anything, more months to speculate and grouse about the relaunch wouldn't be of any help.

Even if they released the first issues in January, we would have just known about it later.

Think of it from a business perspective. If they announced it at the same time, but released the books in January, that just gives Marvel time to plan something to undercut their release. They had to keep it under wraps almost until the solicits hit to minimize what Marvel could do in response.

Do you mean go on sale starting in January, or do you mean the issues with a January cover date?

Either way, doing it in winter (at least here in the Northern hemisphere) and right around / after the holidays would possibly mean less sales from people who are all tapped out, exhausted, and/or stranded by snow storms.

Now it's still warmish, you're just getting back from summer vacation time, and the new network TV season and the real NFL season are starting up. It might be easier to generate interest / sales at this time of year.

i guesse i mean the second, i think

soo what i was thinking was this
    dc makes the decision in july they tell there writers and artists they have till jan to wrap thing up.then they anounce it like say 0ctober/november and the relaunch books hit janurary

Quote Originally Posted by RohanRiderX View Post
    i guesse i mean the second, i think

soo what i was thinking was this
    dc makes the decision in july they tell there writers and artists they have till jan to wrap thing up.then they anounce it like say 0ctober/november and the relaunch books hit janurary
    Actually DC already decided last oct or so i heard. I believe flashpoint was introduce to lead in to the relaunch and theyve planned flashpoint since last year. Also I'm guessing DC only told their top writers about the plans, they were very very secretive about it thats why they didnt tell some of the other writers afraid that the news would be leaked to other publishers. Which is why even when writers were told about the news, they had to sign a letter of secrecy.

Quote Originally Posted by sethysquare View Post
    Actually DC already decided last oct or so i heard. I believe flashpoint was introduce to lead in to the relaunch and theyve planned flashpoint since last year. Also I'm guessing DC only told their top writers about the plans, they were very very secretive about it thats why they didnt tell some of the other writers afraid that the news would be leaked to other publishers. Which is why even when writers were told about the news, they had to sign a letter of secrecy.

I guesse your right the whole thing just seems really rushed ya know.

I guesse your right the whole thing just seems really rushed ya know.
    Actually I thought it was pretty well planned. Aside from writers having to finish their stories prematurely, I thought new 52 have had lotsa time to start writing. As heard from scott snyder, batman was a script for the previous book, swamp thing has been planned much earlier, Animal man, Frankie all have been planned really early. Batwoman was supposed to come out early this year but was pushed backed. I'd say only few books were rushed, even so writers still had like 4 months until books were published. I'd say thats more than enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Doing it in winter (at least here in the Northern hemisphere) and right around / after the holidays would possibly mean less sales from people who are all tapped out, exhausted, and/or stranded by snow storms.

Now it's still warmish, you're just getting back from summer vacation time, and the new network TV season and the real NFL season are starting up. It might be easier to generate interest / sales at this time of year.
    Well said. The winter months are the worst time for comic sales. Summer is crowded with events. Fall is a great time to launch. One of the DC people said the same thing about launching in fall....it is like the new fall season on TV.

think the New 52 has some serious potenial. found a pretty good review of the newest Justice League @ http://thingsthatdontsuck.info/justice-league-1-review

Quote Originally Posted by sethysquare View Post
    The reboot wasn't greenlit in October. They had a big creator meeting then where they talked about revitalizing the books and walked away without major changes. It was looking at January's flagging sales that they decide they had to do something drastic. That's really when the relaunch started. Flashpoint was well into development by that time. It was teased since Flash #1 in April 2010. The top creators probably got told first. Communication down the line didn't seem all that perfect. Some of the 52 books were given to writers late or writers were changed at the last minute. It wasn't the most efficient but they're doing well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CagedLeo730 View Post
    The reboot wasn't greenlit in October. They had a big creator meeting then where they talked about revitalizing the books and walked away without major changes. It was looking at January's flagging sales that they decide they had to do something drastic. That's really when the relaunch started. Flashpoint was well into development by that time. It was teased since Flash #1 in April 2010. The top creators probably got told first. Communication down the line didn't seem all that perfect. Some of the 52 books were given to writers late or writers were changed at the last minute. It wasn't the most efficient but they're doing well enough.
    I'm a thinkin' that the guy you're responding to was right---this was green lit a long time ago and the creator meeting was a part of this. There's way too much in coordination and planning for this to have begun in January this year. (I think folks way, way underestimate the time it takes to launch projects).
    Last edited by gwangung; 09-03-2011 at 01:10 PM.

I had a thought well browsing dc solicits for action comics.

would it have better to relaunch in january

So everything starts new at the beginning of the new year. I think part of the reason some people didint like the change is because it was so sudden.

if they started in janurary they could have had 5 months to wrap up there books properly and not be rushed.

anyway thats what i think how about you guys.
    5 months would have been too long and we would have been stuck with filler stories