Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Shelf Life - Sep 2, 2011

All this week, Ron Marz goes behind the scenes of his upcoming DC relaunch title "Voodoo." Today Ron looks at the lettered pages and discusses the finer points of dialogue and narration.

Full article here.

The art on this is great! Really looking forward to this.

ShaunN

Interesting breakdown of the relationship between script and art. Thanks.

I have to admit that I am uneasy about Voodoo being a stripper (though I know this has always been part of the character). The depiction of women in comics has always been a controversial issue. I think we must accept that comics women will always be, to some extent, sexual objects. But that does not prevent them from also being more - powerful, independent, sexual without that being what defines them as beings. With a character like Voodoo, who is actually in the business of being a sexual object, it is much harder to make those kind of distinctions. This is hardly the kind of positive image that comics need to project to encourage more women readers and it is interesting that when DC has cut so many good female (not to mention minority) characters from its roster in its reboot, it manages to find room for a character who -inadvertantly perhaps - sends such a questionable message.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing the reaction to this and seeing what Ron does with the character.

ShaunN

Whoops! Double-post! Sorry, slow computer link today.
    Last edited by ShaunN; 09-05-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Thanks for checking it out.

I only ask that you read the book first. Then if you find it offensive, by all means, howl about it.

As a side note, my wife read Voodoo #1, and though she's hardly an impartial observer, she's most definitely a woman. She quite liked the issue.