Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: WonderCon Moves to March, Anaheim

WonderCon will be held from March 16-18 with a change of venue as the show heads south to Anaheim, California due to ongoing construction at the show's traditional home of San Francisco's Moscone Center.

Full article here.

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

Oh man. Now I have to decide whether to got to this on the 16th through 18th or Emerald City Comic Con on the 30th through the first... hmmmm...

I guess Anaheim got Wondercon as the consolation prize when they couldn't acquire Comic Con from San Diego. Now we have no big comics convention here in SF anymore, and I highly doubt it's going to move back to SF in 2013.

Booooooooo

Ugh! This f*cking sucks. I really hope SF gets its shit together and finishes up the renovation by 2013. Though not likely...

YES!!!! I'm only about 30 minutes from Anaheim.

fanboi from HeroesNHunks

as a Sf resident who looks forward to that show because i can't always afford time and travel and out of town costs for SDCC, this seriously bummed me out.

Guess this means I'm going.

As a resident of the Bay Area, this SUCKS! We don't get ANY big cons out here! Why couldn't they just move it to SJ or something? Keep it in the Bay!

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

Man, people really like to whine. Anaheim is only 6 hours from San Fran and it's only this year as far as we know. Be thankful you have as many cons in your state as you do. The closest to me EVERY YEAR is 6 hours away, and it's not even a big con.

This is pretty cool. When do tickets go on sale? I'm already reg'd for SDCC '12, and with Wizard's Anaheim Con postponed (surprise, surprise), I'll check out WonderCon. At least it won't be as ginormous a crowd as SDCC.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    This is pretty cool. When do tickets go on sale? I'm already reg'd for SDCC '12, and with Wizard's Anaheim Con postponed (surprise, surprise), I'll check out WonderCon. At least it won't be as ginormous a crowd as SDCC.
    Or will it?

Because here's the thing -- Wondercon is even closer to LA than San Diego. And it's better situated to plug movies that are coming out for that summer season. You know how Marvel didn't have a Hall H show because they weren't ready to show Avengers, and Cap was coming out that weekend? Not really an issue in March.

I've never been to Wondercon. I always hear it plugged as like San Diego, but more focused on the comics and a little less insane. I'm wondering if it's going to stay that way?
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Or will it?

Because here's the thing -- Wondercon is even closer to LA than San Diego. And it's better situated to plug movies that are coming out for that summer season. You know how Marvel didn't have a Hall H show because they weren't ready to show Avengers, and Cap was coming out that weekend? Not really an issue in March.

I've never been to Wondercon. I always hear it plugged as like San Diego, but more focused on the comics and a little less insane. I'm wondering if it's going to stay that way?
    I understand its attendance is in the 30,000 range, which is only, oh, say, a HUNDRED thousand fewer people than the mass that descends on SDCC. But Anaheim's CC is much larger than Moscone, so are they going to open up more tix? The website says Fri/Sat passes are sold out. But that was before the switchover.

Any word yet on if this is just temporary? I'm barely two hours from San Francisco and was thinking of attending next year, since ComicCon is pretty much impossible to go to anymore. So I'm hoping this is just a temporary move due to the construction and it will be back in San Francisco for 2013. Driving to Anaheim's not bad for me (I hit up Disneyland at least once a year), but the additional money for gas and hotel piles on. With WonderCon being in San Francisco, I'd only have to drive to somewhere in the East Bay and take BART into the city.