Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: FANEXPO: "FF" Team Spirit Full Audio

After comments from cover artist Marko Djurdjevic at a Fan Expo panel centered on the Fantastic Four stirred up discussion and debate, CBR News presents a full audio recording of the event.

Full article here.

I'm about halfway through listening. Doesn't sound that bad to me. Marko didn't even mention his split with Marvel until somebody - I think it was Hickman - asked him if he'd announced it publicly yet. And his stuff about JMS, while definitely coming off as somewhat dickish, was only prompted by a question about his interior work.

So from what I've heard so far, it doesn't feel like he came to the panel solely in order to crap on Marvel, like initial reports of the panel made it out to be, he was simply answering questions honestly.

Ok, I've listened to it. While it doesn't sound like Marko hijacked the panel, once prompted by Hickman it does become the Marko show and I understand why this is the focus of both this panel report and the one on MTV. The guy comes off as "dickish" as Cononach pointed out. He doesn't mince words, which is great, but the words he chose do not paint Marko kindly. He's rude and inconsiderate in that is an FF/Marvel panel, not a panel for Marko to air his dirty laundry. Get your own panel to do that. In THAT respect, because this ended up being the most compelling part of the panel, it was effectively hijacked.

He's absolutely free to say what he likes and it's clear Marvel and he weren't a good match, but he said these things. There were no misquotes. He acted in a surprising and I'd argue in an unprofessional manner. Actually, I found it rather entertaining because rarely does anyone talk SO openly, but it affects my opinion of him as a person. At the end of the day, though, none of that matters. As long as he keeps creating great artwork, I'll keep buying his work because nothing he said was so reprehensible that I'd have to stop reading his work. He just didn't act "cool," I suppose is what I'm trying to say.

Oh, and I'll add this, wish I was there! And I bet the next panel Marko's on it'll be standing room only!
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

I'm the guy that asked which character surprised Hickman the most

and yeah it wasn't nearly as 'dickish' as some places are making it seem. No one felt uncomfortbale or tense during it. It was fun.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Default I was the moderator

Being as I was the guy who sat right beside Marko for the entire workshop, figured I'd throw in a quick two cents.

I did not feel as Marko hijacked the panel. If Hickman had been there earlier I might have tried to steer it away from him but the fact was Marko had something to say and since the theme of the workshop (which every single report so far has missed) was collaboration in comics. I felt Marko's comments were a good look at the other side of collaboration, the side when it's not working.

If Marko was so rude why did both Epting and and Hickman ask him questions?

Finally, if the panel sounds tense, it sure didn't feel like it.

My full version of what happened will by up in my column on Thursday at www.comicbookdaily.com

Brent

Thanks for posting this.

BANNED

So now CBR backtracks?

Too late, the bad reporting and damage has been done.

The guy that moderated this was just horrible! Toronto cartooning society or whatever they call themselves needs to stay far far away!

Marko we met outside his hotel in the morning and he was hung over and did not want to interact with us! All one of my friends did was inform him how much we liked his work and good luck on your future projects.
    Pull list: Almost every Marvel book, Age of Bronze, Captain Midnight, some Dynamite & Image. I AM DC COMIC FREE!

This sounded like a relaxed and candid panel. Marko gave some great insights into the frustrations of being a creative freelancer, but there was no bitterness present. The article was a real hatchet job, and CBR owe Marko an apology. I don't know Marko personally but I have good friends who do. I've heard a lot of good things about the man.

BANNED

This sounds like a big mess.