Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Fan Expo: DC's Bold New 52

During the New 52 panel at Fan Expo, DC Comics creators discussed the ins and outs of their new series, announced the return of the JSA and explained the new DC Universe timeline.

Full article here.

A non-Lois LI for Superman? Sounds like Lana. And Stephanie survives the reboot as Spoiler!
    "And in a few years, some rebellious little kid is going to turn up at your school with me on his t-shirt. 'Cyclops was right.'"

I'm not too thrilled with a 'new' earth-2. They let the genie out after COIE, now they have to live with it, not just ret-con it as a matter of convince.

Not long to go now. I am getting real excited for JLA which is the first issue to be released.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

So Tony Daniel's idea of revamping Hawkman involves taking out everything that was interesting about the character? Swell.

SO the net effect is the Earth 50 has merged with Earth 1 and Earth 2 is split back off. I can live with it. Although it doesn't explain the existence of Black Canary. I wonder if the Freedom Fighters will be part of Earth 2 or somewhere else. Quite possible that Shazam will be split off somewhere too.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Yeah, I liked everything except what Tony Daniel said about Hawkman. Taking away the doomed love/reincarnation aspect makes him just another superhero.

Reincarnation was never the problem. All of Hawkman's problems came from the Thanagarian side, particularly the idiocy of putting Hawkworld in the present. If they'd made that "Hawkman: Year One," everything would have worked.

Katar can even work as a reincarnation of Carter.

Everything else they said has potential, but Hawkman's definitely dropped a few notches.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

uh... I'm not a fan of Hawkman and wasn't planning to pick up his book, but now I know for sure to steer well clear.

"The first thing that I wanted to get rid of is the reincarnation factor, the Egyptian thing and the tragedy of him and Hawkgirl. All that stuff. A lot of convolution there. Is that a word or did I just coin a phrase?"

so... basically remove everything that made him interesting. right. Normally I've been pretty open minded about rebooting these characters, but most of the reboots are striving to keep the CORE of the character intact... or if it's completely different, the character was pretty generic before. But this seems like a step backwards. There are a million and one violent badass characters out there, having wings isn't gonna cut it to make him stand out from the pack, the reincarnation angle does.
    Last edited by Raye; 08-28-2011 at 05:02 PM.

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by marvelboy74 View Post
    SO the net effect is the Earth 50 has merged with Earth 1 and Earth 2 is split back off. I can live with it. Although it doesn't explain the existence of Black Canary. I wonder if the Freedom Fighters will be part of Earth 2 or somewhere else. Quite possible that Shazam will be split off somewhere too.
    Earth 1 / Earth 2 Black Canaries can explain Canary easily enough. I'd expect to see a lot of the legacy "Earth 2" characters end up as being Earth 1 counterparts of their parent/namesake.

Now has (or even will) DC done a study and come up with an explanation for each character? That's the question. I'm going out on a limb and guess that there will be some cases that fall through the cracks.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Tony Daniel should stick to artwork. This makes me not want to touch Hawkman with a ten foot mace.

I'm glad Daniel is trimming out the reincarnation stuff from Hawkman and apparently starting more or less from scratch with him, but the "chopping off heads" part still leaves me with some ambivalence towards the series. Part of my problem with Carter Hall as Hawkman was that he was always portrayed as being so darn angry all the time. Daniel shaving off some of the parts that I didn't like about the character but then at the same time amping up others sort of makes it all break even for me in the end.

However, with so many Carter Hall fans jumping ship now, I may just give the title a shot to see if it's any good and help it along some if it is. Modern Carter Hall fans have never given a darn that Katar Hol was whisked out of continuity in favor of a different version of the character, so it's kind of ironic to see so many of them getting upset over the same thing more or less happening to their version. Of course, the key difference here is, at least this new interpretation doesn't seem to be taking all of the stuff that defined the original Carter Hall (his friends, his enemies, his ties to certain places and teams), but then relabeling him "Katar Hol" after the fact.

- Manning
    "The conjuction of ruling and dreaming generates tyranny." - Michael Oakeshott

daniels still pretending to be a writer :/

Quote Originally Posted by syvyn11 View Post
    I'm not too thrilled with a 'new' earth-2. They let the genie out after COIE, now they have to live with it, not just ret-con it as a matter of convince.
    You know, I really don't get Earth-2. Or any of the other alternate Earths for that matter. Maybe I'm just not as into superheroes as I once was, but the concepts for most of these alternate Earths never seemed all that interesting. They're all just places where the super-heroes are different, which doesn't seem so novel to me anymore. The idea for Earth-2 is just like "It's the Earth where all the super-heroes are older and Flash wears a hat". I don't want the Earth where Flash wears a hat. I want it to be something like "This is the Earth where dinosaurs evolved into sentient humanoids" or "This is the Earth where society and technology didn't progress past the Victorian Age or the steam engine". The only one that's kind of like that is the Freedom Fighters' old Earth (Earth-X, was it?) where World War II went on a lot longer than in the real world.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    You know, I really don't get Earth-2. Or any of the other alternate Earths for that matter. Maybe I'm just not as into superheroes as I once was, but the concepts for most of these alternate Earths never seemed all that interesting. They're all just places where the super-heroes are different, which doesn't seem so novel to me anymore. The idea for Earth-2 is just like "It's the Earth where all the super-heroes are older and Flash wears a hat". I don't want the Earth where Flash wears a hat. I want it to be something like "This is the Earth where dinosaurs evolved into sentient humanoids" or "This is the Earth where society and technology didn't progress past the Victorian Age or the steam engine". The only one that's kind of like that is the Freedom Fighters' old Earth (Earth-X, was it?) where World War II went on a lot longer than in the real world.
    I feel the same way. I've never been able to get into the JSA. I wouldn't have even cared if they didn't bring them back.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
    I feel the same way. I've never been able to get into the JSA. I wouldn't have even cared if they didn't bring them back.
    I like the JSA. I just don't see the point of them having their own universe. If you're going to create an alternate world, then the world itself should be different, not just a handful of characters in that world.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.