Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: FanExpo: The "Fear Itself" Panel

Writer Matt Fraction discussed the origins of the death of Bucky and where the Marvel Universe's heroes turn post-"Fear Itself" and Fred Van Lente spoke on the announcement of "Alpha Flight's" new Ongoing status.

Full article here.

Man, I can't wait for those .1 issues. Love Fear Itself.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Default Alpha Flight

YAY more alpha flight! Loving that series!

I'm really surprised about Brubaker intending to kill Bucky in the Gulag arc.

I don't see Alpha Flight really lasting very long as an Ongoing. Given the sales of the Mini.
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

"You do that, and it is the all-time greatest Captain America story. Put it up in the rafters. No one is going to ever touch it. You are Frank Miller on 'Daredevil' if you have the Red Skull kill Bucky when you're done with Bucky."
    I'mó not really sure that was what made Miller's run good. Yeah, there is a really powerful potential story in killing Bucky off after readers have gotten invested in him, cementing the tragedy of his whole existence. But that's... not really what we got from Fear Itself, precisely because the contraints of the event mean that it was used to raise the stakes of the crossover, and any of the emotional fallout, the meat of the thing, has to be put off until the hammer fighting ends. If Brubaker had done it in Captain America, and it was actually told as a Captain America story instead of a bust-'em-up summer crossover, maybe it could've been. But uh, that's a huge maybe, and I'm not sure why any writer would want to actively invite a Frank Miller's Daredevil comparison.

But, I guess, with Elektra, the character was too popular to let her stay dead...
    Last edited by Hrist; 08-27-2011 at 06:20 PM.

AF is getting turned into an ongoing? Great news!
    I can't even remember the last time a mini got extended like that.

The 'Commonwealth of Heroes' sounds like a very cool idea, actually. Let's hope they make it true to the population of the actual Commonwealth and have the majority of the heroes be East Indian. After all, superhero diversity is all the rage nowadays, or so I hear

Wow, I think Fraction is overestimating how "great" killing Bucky off will be seen in the future. Honestly, if Brubaker had killed Bucky off in the Captain America book at the end of "Gulag" arc, it probably would have had much more emotional weight and would have been felt more than it has in an event book. I also think that Brubaker's apprehension about killing him because of his popularity was right on the money. So far, the biggest thing hanging over Fear Itself is the death of Bucky (my opinion, of course, but one that seems to be felt by many). It really has made the rest of the event hard for me to enjoy. I find myself (and others) waiting for the end of the event just to see if they're going to bring Bucky back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    "You do that, and it is the all-time greatest Captain America story. Put it up in the rafters. No one is going to ever touch it. You are Frank Miller on 'Daredevil' if you have the Red Skull kill Bucky when you're done with Bucky."
    It's pretty hilarious and sad that he thinks nobody is ever going to touch that story or that he thinks what was written for Fear Itself is in anyway near the quality of Miller on Daredevil.

"All time greatest Captain America story?" ... My, what an impressive and hilarious ego that is.

Even if I hated Bucky, that would not come anywhere near the heights of the all time greatest Captain America story.

Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor View Post
    AF is getting turned into an ongoing? Great news!
    I can't even remember the last time a mini got extended like that.
    yeah, usually it's the other way around.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HitechLolife View Post
    Same here. I like both Fraction and Brubaker, but I really don't care for their choice to kill off Bucky. He has grown to become one of my favorite characters and it was disapointing to see him go to say the least,
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Straight Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I don't see Alpha Flight really lasting very long as an Ongoing. Given the sales of the Mini.
    I recall Brevoort saying that sales were actually better than they predicted which I assume why this has been changed to an ongoing.
    BTW, wasn't this announced a few weeks ago? I could have sworn I heard this already.
    CaptainAmerica Hawkeye Avengers NewAvengers UncannyAvengers AvengersWorld

Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YouthofToday View Post
    I recall Brevoort saying that sales were actually better than they predicted which I assume why this has been changed to an ongoing.
    BTW, wasn't this announced a few weeks ago? I could have sworn I heard this already.
    Alpha Flight #1 actually sold around the same as Moon Knight #1 but the #2 dropoff was apparently huge

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    Same here. I like both Fraction and Brubaker, but I really don't care for their choice to kill off Bucky. He has grown to become one of my favorite characters and it was disapointing to see him go to say the least,
    Have some faith in Bru, my friend.
    Last edited by Prince Of Orphans; 08-27-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HitechLolife View Post
    Well nothing ups the shock ante like a grizzly (no pun intended {snork, giggle, snort, ahahahahahaha grizzly} prison death.