Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Bendis about Peter: "Peter Parker is not coming back. I know we never say never..."

"...but I'm going to say never. So there's that. It's only worth it if we stick to our guns".

From iFanboy podcast, at 25 minutes of the interview. That was the first time I've read or listen Bendis saying that Peter Parker wouldn't be back.

I guess this is the end for me buying any Spider-Man book ever too. I know we never say never, but I'm going to say never. We must stick to our guns, right Bendis?

Let me tell you how this is going to go: If Peter Parker doesn't come back in the Ultimate Universe, I'm not buying a single Ultimate comic again. And I know for sure that I'm not alone on this. I'm glad that you're reading the repercussion of this, I think that's the best place to say to you and everyone that like me is hoping that Peter Parker will be back in the Ultimate Universe:

I'd rather have you out of the book than having Peter Parker killed in the Ultimate Universe, Brian. I also think that if Peter does come back someday in the Ultimate Universe, I'd happily read his stories written by another writer. You aren't more important than your reinterpretation of Peter Parker, Bendis. You did it good, but I'm sure there are people out there that could do it better.

You can take your new character and hope people will keep buying and attract new readers. All I've got to say to you is that I'm thankful for the 10 plus years of Peter Parker as Spider-Man, but just like you brought me back to comics after I gave up on them with the Clone Saga, I'm boycottying your new book and any Spider-Man book until Peter Parker comes back to the Ultimate Universe. And I sincerily don't want you writing him ever again. Let Bryan Lee O'Malley, Paul Tobin, Nick Spencer or anyone worthy enough do it if he does come back. You know they can do a good job or even better than you.

Sincerily,

A fan that bought all the Ultimate Spider-Man issues and all the hardcovers the last eleven years.

Elder Member

HALLELUJAH! The writer says he is gone for good! WOO-HOO!

Quote Originally Posted by UltimatePeterParker View Post
    "...but I'm going to say never. So there's that. It's only worth it if we stick to our guns".

From iFanboy podcast, at 25 minutes of the interview. That was the first time I've read or listen Bendis saying that Peter Parker wouldn't be back.

I guess this is the end for me buying any Spider-Man book ever too. I know we never say never, but I'm going to say never. We must stick to our guns, right Bendis?

Let me tell you how this is going to go: If Peter Parker doesn't come back in the Ultimate Universe, I'm not buying a single Ultimate comic again. And I know for sure that I'm not alone on this. I'm glad that you're reading the repercussion of this, I think that's the best place to say to you and everyone that like me is hoping that Peter Parker will be back in the Ultimate Universe:

I'd rather have you out of the book than having Peter Parker killed in the Ultimate Universe, Brian. I also think that if Peter does come back someday in the Ultimate Universe, I'd happily read his stories written by another writer. You aren't more important than your reinterpretation of Peter Parker, Bendis. You did it good, but I'm sure there are people out there that could do it better.

You can take your new character and hope people will keep buying and attract new readers. All I've got to say to you is that I'm thankful for the 10 plus years of Peter Parker as Spider-Man, but just like you brought me back to comics after I gave up on them with the Clone Saga, I'm boycottying your new book and any Spider-Man book until Peter Parker comes back to the Ultimate Universe. And I sincerily don't want you writing him ever again. Let Bryan Lee O'Malley, Paul Tobin, Nick Spencer or anyone worthy enough do it if he does come back. You know they can do a good job or even better than you.

Sincerily,

A fan that bought all the Ultimate Spider-Man issues and all the hardcovers the last eleven years.
    It pains me to know Peter is never coming back but I guess this reaffirms the "dead means dead" rule. Oh well it's time for a new hero to take up the reigns. I'm also sorry that you are giving up Spider-Man but that is your own personal decision best of luck to you.
    "Citizen Kane clearly isn't the greatest movie ever made for one simple reason: The Predator wasn't in it."

Best of Luck to you UltimatePeterParker in finding a new suitable Spider-Man book, i'd recommend checking out Rick Remender's Venom, it's not the same thing but it's a very good book nonetheless.

Also thanks for the update, it's good Bendis is making comments like that so people can stop suspecting he's coming back.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

BANNED

I'd like to quote this another CBR user that posted something yesterday that I think it translates a lot how I feel generally about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Swordsman
    First off, i would like to say i have enjoyed and bought the entire run of USM from issue 1 to when the original book ended. Then i ended up buying the Ultimate Comics Spider-man series after reading the first two volumes in trade(and switched over to comic format again after that). When USM was announced over 10 years ago, i was very skeptical. It felt like Spider-man lite when i first heard about it. Then i read the first issue. Then the second. And i loved it. And i bought the series because i GOT what Bendis was trying to do, a retelling of Spider-man with modern sensabilities that relates to a teen today. It was the most consistant and well done comic i read in a long time, and even when there was things done i did not like(Ultimate Dr. Strange,Iron Fist, and other things), there was plenty to love about the book. I really want to point out that i BOUGHT every issue of the original volume. I bought issue 2. I bought issue 21. 35. 48. 79. 95. and so on. I spent time, money and energy on this book, enjoyed it mostly, for over a decade. This was not the Peter Parker i grew up with, but i enjoyed him seperately from the regular version and was glad to read about him.

Until now.

I have nothing against Miles. Heck, if 10+ years ago, when they started up the Ultimate universe and Bendis or whomever had started the book with Miles, i honestly believed i would of spent that decade reading HIS adventures as Spider-man as i did Peter's. But i did not. I read ultimate Peter Parker. And Bendis, along with Joe Q and Alex A. and whomever else, decided that the only way they can make Miles work was to kill off a character who i took a chance on and enjoyed for a decade. Would you enjoy seeing something you invested a decade of money and time enjoying being killed off and being told that it is being done to bring a better, newer version in? Of anything? Seriously? Yes, some people will trot out the old "well you still have the books and can reread them anytime you want" cliche', but the fact is comics are SERIAL storytelling. It is more different than most other formats of storytelling. There was no need to kill off Peter Parker, but someone wanted to make sure Miles was not removed as Spider-man years from now. Fine with that, but killing the character is a little bit drastic, and unlike many other universes, most of the characters in Ultimate universe stay dead, usually.

So, the point is this: Why should i take another chance on this character, one who is being done mostly for the sensation he is causing in news media, where 10 years from now will HE be replaced by the newest big thing? This is not about race. It is about investing your time in the character, not in emotionless fight scene after another. Bendis gave Peter a outstanding 10 year run where you felt you were reading about Peter FIRST, not Spider-Man, something that the regular books didn't understand much either until about that same time. It was the WHOLE mission statement Stan Lee based the book on...not the powers, but the man behind them. THAT is what made Amazing Spider-man great to begin with. This is what made Ultimate Spider-man a awesome and historical comic book run.

To be rewarded with a weak death scene and even weaker follow up mini-series, and then be told he was killed off to not only introduce Miles as Spider-man, but to make sure it "worked" and "would not be undone" is a travesty. Miles will make a good Spider-man, but it is diminishing returns for me(much like most of the Ultimate universe, whose mandate seems to be kill everything to prove we can kill anyone, anytime). Bendis will drive forth a great comic, and i hope people who choose to invest the time and money into the new Spider-man get a better deal that those of us who were asked to give Ultimate Peter Parker a chance. The readers will deserve it.

If i offended anyone, that was not the meaning of this post. I just had a bit of thoughts on this issue, and decided to take a chance and air them in a public forum. This is not to be a attack on race or Marvel. This was just me, venting my unhappiness in doing something to a favorite character, one that feels quite permament(as far as Ultimate line goes) and explaining why i choose not to support the book, which had nothing to do with race, but the choices that led up to the change involved.

I am presenting my above views whole nor am i going to debate them with anyone, as i'm choosing not to enter any discussions about this post. My hope is that it will create positive constructive growth for those who do read this, maybe put into words why many people are upset with these issues as i am, and why this is not about race but about the costs on us readers as well. It is a good thing to attract new readers, but lets not alienate old ones and their memories as well. Since it is done, i wish Miles the best of runs.

Thanks for letting me ramble on for a bit, and have a good day.
    I honestly feel betrayed. If this new book by any chances doesn't fail miserably, what I'm actively campaigning to, I hope that his fans have better luck than us, Ultimate Spider-Man readers, that spent eleven years of their time and money invested in a character that was killed off just to make room for another character.

Mmmm, 160 issues of a self contained arc of a mainstream super hero. I love the purity of that which is so lacking in super-hero comics. Thanks Bendis.

I think you'll find that the Ultimate line would be cancelled if Miles fails anyway, rather than them resurrecting PP.

Spider-Man Forever!!! spiderfreak1011's Avatar

Ill stay with the UU for a while but eventually ill leave unless Peter comes back otherwise good bye UU
    Bring back Ultimate Peter Parker

If you're all so intent on not following the Ultimate Universe any more as a result of Peter Parker's death, then can you at least go do it quietly?

Your piece has been said (a thousand times over), you're not doing anything more than disrupting actual discussion by the people that actually are still following the books.

BANNED

I know it means nothing to Bendis, but I was still an Avengers reader before this interview. Now I'm boycottying not only Spider-Man books, but any Bendis related book, tv series or any book where Spider-Man appears. That's me divorcing myself of anything related to Brian Bendis and Spider-Man. For good. That's how I'll deal with that.

And I sincerily hope that Ultimate Spider-Man fans prove to Brian Michael Bendis that he is the one that can be replaced, not Peter Parker.

I know it means nothing to Bendis, but I was still an Avengers reader before this interview. Now I'm boycottying not only Spider-Man books, but any Bendis related book, tv series or any book where Spider-Man appears. That's me divorcing myself of anything related to Brian Bendis and Spider-Man. For good. That's how I'll deal with that.

And I sincerily hope that Ultimate Spider-Man fans prove to Brian Michael Bendis that he is the one that can be replaced, not Peter Parker.
    Does that include Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon that he works on too?
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorOak View Post
    If you're all so intent on not following the Ultimate Universe any more as a result of Peter Parker's death, then can you at least go do it quietly?

Your piece has been said (a thousand times over), you're not doing anything more than disrupting actual discussion by the people that actually are still following the books.
    I was invested to this book and bought this comic for more than eleven years. If I can't read about my favorite character anymore, I believe I've got the right to at least protest for what's going on.

As Night Swordsman said, how would you feel if ten years from now - I firmly believe that ten years from now we'll have a) Peter Parker back in the Ultimate Universe, b) no Ultimate Universe at all or c) a new Ultimate Universe, I don't believe for one second that Miles will actually be remembered more than Ben Reilly and John Walker are - Bendis decides that Miles has served his purpose and kill him off just to be replaced by the all new, all equal new Spider-Man flavor of the week? It's a slap in the face of everyone that bought this comic, so you can make damn sure that me and a lot of people that are pissed about this will not go down quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Best of Luck to you UltimatePeterParker in finding a new suitable Spider-Man book, i'd recommend checking out Rick Remender's Venom, it's not the same thing but it's a very good book nonetheless.

Also thanks for the update, it's good Bendis is making comments like that so people can stop suspecting he's coming back.
    Thank you for your best of luck wishes, regardless of our disagreements here, I believe you'd understand what I mean if that happened with a character that you're really invested in it. As for Venom or any 616 Spider-Man titles, I'm boycotying them too. I'll stick around reading X-Titles only.

Does that include Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon that he works on too?
    I mean everything Bendis and Spider-Man related, the only exceptiong being the "Amazing Spider-Man" movie, since I've been a fan of Marc Webb for years. I'm out of any Bendis book - Marvel or not, I was buying all his Avengers and Ultimate Spider-Man books until now -and out of his tv shows, including Powers and Ultimate Spider-Man tv series.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphjokerX View Post
    It pains me to know Peter is never coming back but I guess this reaffirms the "dead means dead" rule. Oh well it's time for a new hero to take up the reigns. I'm also sorry that you are giving up Spider-Man but that is your own personal decision best of luck to you.
    I hope this rule won't apply for Peter. I'm still hoping for him come back. I honestly couldn't care less if it's Bendis the writer that does it, I'm sure there are better and more underrated writers out there who could pull it off, but thank you for what you said.
    Last edited by UltimatePeterParker; 08-27-2011 at 02:47 PM.

I was invested to this book and bought this comic for more than eleven years. If I can't read about my favorite character anymore, I believe I've got the right to at least protest for what's going on.
    But why CBR? Why not Marvel's own forum? Bendis' own forum? Bendis' twitter?
    My Blog

Spider-Man Forever!!! spiderfreak1011's Avatar

As Night Swordsman said, how would you feel if ten years from now - I firmly believe that ten years from now we'll have a) Peter Parker back in the Ultimate Universe, b) no Ultimate Universe at all or c) a new Ultimate Universe, I don't believe for one second that Miles will actually be remembered more than Ben Reilly and John Walker are - Bendis decides that Miles has served his purpose and kill him off just to be replaced by the all new, all equal new Spider-Man flavor of the week? It's a slap in the face of everyone that bought this comic, so you can make damn sure that me and a lot of people that are pissed about this will not go down quietly.
    I agree, but it's not really Bendis who suggested to kill Peter, but it was Millar who suggested to kill peter in the first place, so we should boycott the new spidye series plus, any series written by Millar, because he's the real one to blame for this, not Bendis.
    Bring back Ultimate Peter Parker

I honestly wouldn't care. I buy these books for the writing and the characters. I'm perfectly capable of enjoying the last 10 years of Ultimate Spider-Man AND enjoying the next 10 too.

If you have no intention of even so much as giving something you haven't read a chance over some weird prejudice then that's your problem. Not mine, and not the rest of the people here - so why should we put up with reading your incessant ranting about it?

Saying you're ranting about it here in protest is like protesting against Scientology in the middle of a Next. It's irrelevant, pointless and annoying.

BANNED

But why CBR? Why not Marvel's own forum? Bendis' own forum? Bendis' twitter?
    That's the place I've been reading comic news for ten years. I never thought I should do anything more than lurk before this happened. And it's kinda of sad that after I thanked your "best of luck wishes" I've got to read this. But whatever.