Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Goblin Cultist PhilUrich'sFlamingSword's Avatar

I've actually really enjoyed Taylor51's attempts at objectivity with Loeb's work, and also his ability, as evidenced here, to enjoy just about anything put in a comic book (I keed, I keed, sir...I admire your positive attitude. After all, if you go into something planning to hate it, you very likely will hate it. At least twenty-five percent of what goes into an enjoyable comic experience is having the right attitude). I still think Ultimates 3, Ultimatum, and New Ultimates three of the more dissapointing comics I've ever read (although I was only ever excited for them before Ultimates 3 came out - at the time I was blissfully unaware of the depths of suckitude to which Loeb's writing had sunk, having only ever read him before on the wonderful Spider-Man:Blue. It quickly became apparent that he had consciously decided to write far less-intelligent, nuanced, mature stories in favor of...well, whatever you want to call what we got). It is true that, had I, say, never read an Ultimate Comic before, never read the reviews or heard the hype surrounding Ultimates 1 and 2, I would probably have enjoyed it as a good bit of popcorn action, taken it for what it was worth, and called it a day. However, as Plawsky points out, that was not the case; this was a continuation of the most mature, ground-breaking super-hero comic of the new millenium, and when viewed in that light (as you have admirably been able to do, but which for me is pretty much impossible) it becomes the ugly stepchild of the Ultimate Universe that many consider it to be.
    The Amazing Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Venom, Scarlet Spider, Daredevil, Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avengers Academy, Thunderbolts, Fantastic Four, FF, All Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUrich'sFlamingSword View Post
    It quickly became apparent that he had consciously decided to write far less-intelligent, nuanced, mature stories in favor of...well, whatever you want to call what we got)..
    I doubt he really was intending it to be what we got. No writer, self-respecting one anyways, would purposely write something terrible.
    Thank god comic fans are such a tiny little percentage of the audience needed for a successful film because apparently we not only hate fucking everything, we're willing to even pre-hate things...

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    I doubt he really was intending it to be what we got. No writer, self-respecting one anyways, would purposely write something terrible.
    Oh I don't think HE thought it was terrible...but he clearly had a stylistic change in his writing that I can only assume to have been intentional. Seriously, if you haven't, go read Spider-Man: Blue and tell me it's the same guy.
    The Amazing Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Venom, Scarlet Spider, Daredevil, Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avengers Academy, Thunderbolts, Fantastic Four, FF, All Ultimate

Oh I don't think HE thought it was terrible...but he clearly had a stylistic change in his writing that I can only assume to have been intentional. Seriously, if you haven't, go read Spider-Man: Blue and tell me it's the same guy.
    Can it be found on Marvel.com?
    Thank god comic fans are such a tiny little percentage of the audience needed for a successful film because apparently we not only hate fucking everything, we're willing to even pre-hate things...

Can it be found on Marvel.com?
    I have absolutely no idea. I am woefully behind on the whole 'digital comics' thing. I'm still old fashioned and just pick them up at the store.

I have absolutely no idea. I am woefully behind on the whole 'digital comics' thing. I'm still old fashioned and just pick them up at the store.
    I have no LCBS, so I can only rely on digital comics and buying on Amazon and various online sites.

I've actually really enjoyed Taylor51's attempts at objectivity with Loeb's work, and also his ability, as evidenced here, to enjoy just about anything put in a comic book (I keed, I keed, sir...I admire your positive attitude. After all, if you go into something planning to hate it, you very likely will hate it. At least twenty-five percent of what goes into an enjoyable comic experience is having the right attitude). I still think Ultimates 3, Ultimatum, and New Ultimates three of the more dissapointing comics I've ever read (although I was only ever excited for them before Ultimates 3 came out - at the time I was blissfully unaware of the depths of suckitude to which Loeb's writing had sunk, having only ever read him before on the wonderful Spider-Man:Blue. It quickly became apparent that he had consciously decided to write far less-intelligent, nuanced, mature stories in favor of...well, whatever you want to call what we got). It is true that, had I, say, never read an Ultimate Comic before, never read the reviews or heard the hype surrounding Ultimates 1 and 2, I would probably have enjoyed it as a good bit of popcorn action, taken it for what it was worth, and called it a day. However, as Plawsky points out, that was not the case; this was a continuation of the most mature, ground-breaking super-hero comic of the new millenium, and when viewed in that light (as you have admirably been able to do, but which for me is pretty much impossible) it becomes the ugly stepchild of the Ultimate Universe that many consider it to be.
    Hey, it's like I told Plawsky: I am fully aware that my new perspective sets me straight in the middle of no man's land lol.
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

Quote Originally Posted by taylor51 View Post
    Hey, it's like I told Plawsky: I am fully aware that my new perspective sets me straight in the middle of no man's land lol.
    Don't worry, you're not alone lol. Well, I'm not there in no man's land, but I'm just outside it eating a hamburger.

I have no LCBS, so I can only rely on digital comics and buying on Amazon and various online sites.
    Here ya go, dude: http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Blu...5846888&sr=8-1

Adding it to my wishlist...now!

Elder Member

Well Taylor, you hit the nail on the head on a lot of these.

Elder Member

It's comments like these that make me realize that people missed, in ky opinion, what the point of The Ultimates 3 was.

No. It's CLEARLY the same writer.

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Well Taylor, you hit the nail on the head on a lot of these.
    Did you like how I implied that this probably all started with you slipping something into my drink? ;)
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

It's comments like these that make me realize that people missed, in ky opinion, what the point of The Ultimates 3 was.
    So what WAS the point?
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

No. It's CLEARLY the same writer.
    Okay. How, though? Where are the similarities? One is a mature, beautifully written, engaging, affectionate homage to the story of the love of Peter Parker's life (well, before MJ, anyway). The other is this amauterish, skin-deep adventure story with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, not to mention barely adhering at all to what came before other than as a vague backstory. Ultimates 3, Ultimatum and New Ultimates were like what Batman Forever and Batman and Robin were to the first two with Michael Keaton.

...actually, not to toot my own horn as it were, but the more I think of that last comparison, the more perfect it seems. Apologies if somebody has already used this, but Loeb truly is the Joel Schumacher of the Ultimate Universe.