Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: "Flash Gordon" Returns at Dynamite

Flash Gordon makes his triumphant return to comics at Dynamite Entertainment with "Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist" featuring story and designs by Alex Ross and written by Eric Trautmann.

Full article here.

...or you can read the current Flash Gordon comic book series, which has been praised by Publishers Weekly, Aint It Cool News, and many others.

FLASH GORDON: INVASION OF THE RED SWORD #4 (the 12th issue of our ongoing series) hits comic stores next week. After INVASION concludes with issue #6, we have two more six-issue arcs coming your way, THE VENGEANCE OF MING and KING OF THE IMPOSSIBLE!

--Brendan Deneen

www.Ardden-Entertainment.com

Good point.

Would there be trouble between Ardden and Dynamite?
    Show me a bitter nazi and I'll show you a sour kraut.

Check out my gallery at :http://r-gonz.deviantart.com/

Other than the fact that they should be ashamed of themselves... no, there's no trouble.

I would gather this particular deal is like Dynamite & Moonstone "sharing" the Phantom license...?

Nice to see Trautmann attached to this. And of course Alex Ross, but given his love for Flash Gordon (and relationship with Dynamite) I wouldn't expect anything less than he be involved somehow.
    Last edited by Sean Walsh; 08-25-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Why does Flash look like Doc Savage though?

Writer of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Deneen View Post
    Other than the fact that they should be ashamed of themselves... no, there's no trouble.
    And yet, I'm not ashamed at all about my work.

-E

Writer of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    I would gather this particular deal is like Dynamite & Moonstone "sharing" the Phantom license...?

Nice to see Trautmann attached to this. And of course Alex Ross, but given his love for Flash Gordon (and relationship with Dynamite) I wouldn't expect anything less than he be involved somehow.
    My understanding (and I could very well be wrong) is that King grants non-exclusive licenses to Flash Gordon (and presumably their other properties), which is why Ardden does their thing, we'll do ours, Dark Horse reprints older material, as does Checker, as does Titan, etc. etc.

Personally, I wish Ardden continued success with their efforts, and am quite content to deliver the best work I possibly can on our series. I'm of the opinion that there's room for both rather distinct interpretations of the character and source material.

-E

With all due respect, it's just a nasty way to do business. Dynamite is a big(-ish) company with many titles. Ardden is a small company with a couple of titles, Flash Gordon being its flagship book.

I would NEVER do this to another company, even if it's "legal." It's just a lame way to treat other professionals.

Writer of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by protonik View Post
    In his original appearance in the Alex Raymond strips, he wore a then-contemporary suit which -- upon crashlanding on Mongo -- was torn up.

We're referencing a lot of the original material in the series, which Alex "homaged" on his cover. It's a bit of a "wink," sure, but the deranged sci-fi costumes will appear pretty quickly in the series and on the covers.

Thanks!

-E

My interest is peaked. =)
    Judging from the covers, it would seem like the story perhaps takes places some years after the first Raymond -stories, when we've gone beyond the 30's, and ended up close, or in the tumultous 40's.

Could we be seeing a team-up between Adolf Hitler and Ming the Merciless?! :D Those are the kind of stories that I want in my comics!

No limits!

Also... Although I've stated in the past how I feel the industry must cease with Crossovers... I can't but help feel that a Mandrake-Phantom-Flash Gordon-Buck Rogers team-up is an oxymoron at this point. Heck, throw in the Spider and anyone else I've forgotten while they're at it!

Ming the Merciless is essentially Pulps biggest villain, the most powerful of them all, so let's just throw the biggest pulp heroes at him, and see what comes out!

( please don't shower me with Defenders of the Earth -jokes... I liked that series. :( )

Image Is Everything! ripclaw923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Deneen View Post
    With all due respect, it's just a nasty way to do business. Dynamite is a big(-ish) company with many titles. Ardden is a small company with a couple of titles, Flash Gordon being its flagship book.

I would NEVER do this to another company, even if it's "legal." It's just a lame way to treat other professionals.
    +1

Dynamite = d-bag, they did the same thing to Moonstone.

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by protonik View Post
    We're referencing a lot of the original material in the series, which Alex "homaged" on his cover.
    Awesome, looks incredible! Straight from Alex Raymond[1934]

Have we seen interior art yet? Can't wait for this one.

The Ming Hitler parallel reminds of that Filmation Flash Gordon movie Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure of All, which only aired once and was later edited down for the sat. morning cartoon version.
    Wasn't Ming secretly giving military tech to Hitler?
    I never knew if this was part of the original strip, or something made up for the Filmation movie.

Here's Gordon again with the same look (taken straight from Alex Raymond)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcLB...ailpage#t=559s
    Someone uploaded the whole movie....
    And the connection to Hitler - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3byW...ailpage#t=186s
    Really worth checking out, and if this book makes reference to it all the better.
    Last edited by Guicho; 08-27-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Seems to me the real d-bag is King Syndication. If they allow these sorts of things to happen, and it winds up undercutting their own property by putting different licenses in competition, then it's really their own fault. They should have the moral conscience to tell Dynamite "No, we've got a deal elsewhere" -- if that's what the complaint is.

Sorry this is happening Ardden. I'll be sure to check out both publications now that I'm aware of it (and part of the problem is my LCS hasn't been carrying Ardden's Flash Gordon).

I gave Ardden's comics a try, and thought they were pretty darn good. The art isn't exactly typical Flash Gordon, but the dialogue really rocks.