Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by motteditor View Post
    If I'm buying this, and I honestly don't expect to at this point, it will be in spite of Wolverine. I have to admit this article didn't do much to make me think the book won't be Wolverine-focused. I'm glad Aaron said he's working on all the characters, but the fact that he's struggling makes me wonder if he's just going to sort of revert to focusing on Wolverine, as a character he's already familiar with.

I'm still planning to look at it in the store, but it's going to have to have a really good rest of the cast, with most of the focus on them, to get me to buy a book that seems so clearly focused on the most overexposed character in Marvel.
    See above. This is a true team book. And I suppose "struggling" was the wrong word for me to use. "Wrestling with" would've been better. My point was, it's more work than most of my other books, but I'm not struggling to get it done. I'm having a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeZwan View Post
    This column has been a great boon to me as I've been working on my own books. I've been wondering if Jason's uses less panels on a team book than on others. I should take a look at team books and see what the rule seems to be. Great advice on dialog for any book really, not just teams.

Also, that is an awesome cover to Wolverine and Xmen #2. I think I might have to add the book to my pull box.
    Thanks, Luke. Yes, I have indeed been trying to write in fewer panels. For SCALPED, the typical page is probably 6, maybe even 7 panels. With WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN, I'm trying to get that down to 4 or 5, because there's so much going on in each panel.

Thank you Mr. Aaron!! I really hope you develop Polaris into a great character........I saw what you did there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Aaron View Post
    See above. This is a true team book. And I suppose "struggling" was the wrong word for me to use. "Wrestling with" would've been better. My point was, it's more work than most of my other books, but I'm not struggling to get it done. I'm having a blast.
    Well, glad to hear it won't be a Wolverine book. I'm curious to see what the cast is, since that'll probably determine whether I buy it more than anything else, but like I said, I'll give it a look. I'm glad to hear it's a real team book and not just more Wolverine, who's probably become my second least-favorite character in comics after the last decade of ridiculous overuse.

Don't let the title fool you. This is not a Wolverine book with guest-stars. This is in every way an X-Men book.
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't think I am the only one that was a little confused by the title and it's great to hear that the other X-Men will also be featured players in the book.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

You were not the only one DiaH...I am most assuredly anti-Wolverine anywhere else but UXF...and it is certainly one of the reasons why I will not be buying this book. (The main reason being Bachalo's art...*vomits*)

That said...

As vocal as I have been elsewhere about Mr. Aaron's premise as regards to Schism and the main players involved, reading that column has reminded me why I greatly respect his abilities as a writer. And while I would have loved him on an X-title much sooner...(pre issue 500)...I truly wish him all the best with WatXM.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

Marvel had said that there was no coincidence that Schism and Fear Itself were ending at the same time, but will we find out how the two line up?

The reason I ask is because it appears Colossus will be all powered up post Fear Itself after getting Juggernaut's helmet in the latest issue of Uncanny, but in Schism he appears very much without it.

It makes it seem as if the Uncanny X-Men Fear Itself books happens AFTER Schism, but with 2 issues left of the latter, maybe that'll all shake out.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing the new book. I spoke to Mr. Aaron briefly at the Baltimore ComiCon over the weekend and told him that I've been collecting for over 25 straight years and no writer have ever made me want to get a monthly Wolverine book until Wolverine: Weapon X started up and I gave it a shot and after the Astonishing Wolverine/Spider-Man mini and what I've seen on Schism thus far, October can't get here fast enough!

Now compare that to a badly written team book. I won’t name names, but I’m sure you can find one. The characters tend to blur together. They speak with the same voice. While they may sometimes fight about things, their perspectives aren’t always discernible. They’re not substantial enough to stand apart. They’re built on fluff, not bedrock.
    ...and yet if you place Wolverine and Spider-man on a team book such as this, it'll be an industry juggernaut regardless of its merits.

Style 1, substance 0.

edited to add: going to buy Wolverine & the X-men based soley on what Aaron wrote in this piece
    Last edited by Robodojo; 08-25-2011 at 12:20 PM.

I'm really happy that you'll be handling Rogue, Mr. Aaron. I loved every special guest appearance you've written for her in Wolverine. One of my favorite relationships from the classic X-Men era is the Logan/Rogue friendship, so I'm pretty pumped about this.

Hope to see a lot of beer and pool involved!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I'm really happy that you'll be handling Rogue, Mr. Aaron. I loved every special guest appearance you've written for her in Wolverine. One of my favorite relationships from the classic X-Men era is the Logan/Rogue friendship, so I'm pretty pumped about this.

Hope to see a lot of beer and pool involved!
    I do not know anything that you do not but I would not necessarily assume that Rogue is going to be a permanent member of the cast of Wolverine and the X-Men. It is possible that she is just appearing in the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
    I do not know anything that you do not but I would not necessarily assume that Rogue is going to be a permanent member of the cast of Wolverine and the X-Men. It is possible that she is just appearing in the first issue.
    Yeah, maybe I jumped the gun here.

Wishful thinking, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Yeah, maybe I jumped the gun here.

Wishful thinking, I guess.
    Well, she might be a core cast member so don't get too down but it's also possible that she just makes a brief appearance. Either way I'm sure she will be featured heavily in at least one book.

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    I like how he mentions writers who write characters on team books the same but doesn't mention his bald pal bendis. He takes a shot at Claremont, though. Hmm.
    Well he didn't mention any writers by name, so who knows maybe he was talking about bendis among others. The only "shot" he took on claremont was about rogue's accent which I don't remember being that bad but was worse when other writers came on board.

I'm not a big fan of aaron's but after reading the column and with bachalo on art I'll be giving the book a try. Seems like it might be fun and I hope aaron and bachalo introduce some new foes into the x-verse and maybe bring the reavers back.