Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: The CBR Review: Batman Live

Despite covering some well-worn story ground and some odd twists for fans of the comics, Waterlane Productions' "Batman Live" offers its fair share of stunning spectacle alongside a strong ensemble telling the story of the Dark Knight.

Full article here.

The writer is right, that tweak to the Waynes' murder scene makes absolutely no sense. They're the Waynes. They're public figures in Gotham. What Gothamite wouldn't know where Wayne manor is? And why would Joe Chill even care where they live? Is he planning on robbing their house? Can't the Waynes afford security measures against burglars? And what is Thomas planning on doing to Chill once he catches up to him? Beat the memory of their address out of Chill's head?
    Mind-boggling.

Andy + Droid

Seen it when it was in Glasgow, and it was a stunningly well put together show.

The waynes murder scene was changed, i suspect, because they didn't want to show people being shot dead on the stage.

But the plotting/dialogue was always going to take a backseat to the spectacle, and my god was there spectacle. Tremendous fun.

Regardless of the baffling changes in origin story I would SO go see this if it came to the States. I've been following stories on this from the very start and have been so jealous of the audiences in the UK who are going to get to experience it. The stage production sounds incredible.

We have an amusement park called Elitches here in Colorado that used to do a Batman stage show in this open theater area they had in the park. They ran it a few times a day and it was such fun to watch. And that was a fairly cheesy local production. I can only imagine how fun this professional production would be to attend.
    PULL: Chew, Walking Dead, Saga, Batman, Lil' Gotham, Bedlam, Hellboy in Hell, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, The Wake, Sex, Trillium, Miracleman, Sandman Overture, Rocket Girl, Sex Criminals

Tales of the Unexpected

Saw this on Wednesday (free ticket!) and it was fun. The first half drags a bit & some of the acting is a little bit dubious to say the least, but you really cannot fault the spectacle and the physical work all the performers put into it.

The star of the show has to be the backdrop, it's amazing and very clever and helps to move the story along. Also, when the batmobile appears for the first time, it was great hearing all the kids in the audience cheering.

Fun show.

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    The waynes murder scene was changed, i suspect, because they didn't want to show people being shot dead on the stage.
    That's what I figured too. I didn't think Bruce needing to be convinced to take in Dick was that big a deal, as it's a perfectly reasonable bit of characterisation to have Bruce worrying that with the life he leads, he's not really a suitable guardian, while the arc was seemingly about him learning that he CAN have Dick as a partner and a kindred spirit.
    Weirdest tweak for me was that Alfred was the one who trained Bruce. No mention of worldly travels at all. Also when Bruce reveals he's Batman, it should really have been AS Batman, unmasking, not how they do it. Still, great to have an "I'm Batman", which got a big ovation.
    Anyway, I really enjoyed the show. Not completely perfect, and aimed more for the general family audience than the hardcore fans, but still really well put together and entertaining. I can't really speak to the acting definitively because they Batman and Robin each have two alternating actors. At the show I saw, I thought the guy playing Dick/Robin(the dark haired one, not the blonde one from previews) was great. The guy playing Bruce was less so, but still decent, and I'd put it down more to the script than the performance. Great Catwoman, Joker and Harley, as well as the rest of the Rogues...well, Two Face is a little goofy, but a fun kind of goofy. The Batmobile was pretty awesome.
    "Batman is this force that appears out of nowhere behind a guy or all the sudden comes through the window like a man-sized brick and the note attached is a serious ass-whooping"

Andy + Droid

Joker was tremendous in the show, really was. Although I think Harley may have been the real stand-out, which was a shock. Actress nailed her, voice and all.

Fantastic spectacle, and the crowd reactions where a joy to behold as a Bat-fan.

Andy + Droid

Joker was tremendous in the show, really was. Although I think Harley may have been the real stand-out, which was a shock. Actress nailed her, voice and all.

Fantastic spectacle, and the crowd reactions where a joy to behold as a Bat-fan.

Just to see and hear so many people, young and old, cheering and whooping when Batman appeared, when Robin appeared, when the Batmobile sped off, when the signal shone.....

just great to experience. And yeah, it's not the best in terms of dialogue, and some things, the alfred training bruce thing in particular, seeming very odd, but that aside, the entire thing is just...tremendous is indeed the word. The use of the backdrop screen, the sets, the set-pieces, all of it. Hell, even the joker's magic tricks were impressive.

Tremendous.