Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dick/babs View Post
    Any one have a link to a Video when Vince was reveal as the owner of the company, not just part of a announcement team
    I remember when I was 10-11yrs old and at a certain friend's house for the first time. This was around '86 or so.

I found out he was a huge WWF fan, and while watching a telecast I pointed out to him that the matches were fake (I pointed it out because he was a little too into it).....He then goes on an angry tirade about how it's not fake.

Then I pointed out to him that Vince McMahon was the owner of the WWF. He looks at me like I'm a complete idiot and goes on a rant about how the owner of the WWF would be filthy rich and wouldn't wear those cheap looking tuxedos McMahon would wear.

I just gave up on him and stayed quiet during the rest of the telecast.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Cross Is God View Post
    I remember when I was 10-11yrs old and at a certain friend's house for the first time. This was around '86 or so.

I found out he was a huge WWF fan, and while watching a telecast I pointed out to him that the matches were fake (I pointed it out because he was a little too into it).....He then goes on an angry tirade about how it's not fake.

Then I pointed out to him that Vince McMahon was the owner of the WWF. He looks at me like I'm a complete idiot and goes on a rant about how the owner of the WWF would be filthy rich and wouldn't wear those cheap looking tuxedos McMahon would wear.

I just gave up on him and stayed quiet during the rest of the telecast.
    After reading the story I must admit i did became interested in the fate of your friend in the present

After reading the story I must admit i did became interested in the fate of your friend in the present
    He books for TNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    He books for TNA.
    lol are you being serious

lol are you being serious
    Not in the least.

I have no idea. He was from a wealthy family, and he did well with academics and such. He wasn't totally lost, and I have to assume, as he got older, he wised up to wrestling.

Jaw Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by lboinyamouf4sho View Post
    as a kid i 1st saw them in WWF too and they looked awesome so i liked them. but looking back on matches now imo demolition were better.
    Demolition also had much better entrance music.

Here comes the Ax, here comes the Smasherrr

Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by gryhpon View Post
    What is your favourite feud?
    Bossman vs. Big Show.

Ok, not really, but I'm only half kidding. I don't think any feud will ever capture the sheer bugf*ck insanity that pro wrestling brings to the world quite as well.

For serious, Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (or more accurately Bret vs. the USA). There's a bunch of others, but that's the one that comes to mind.
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

even back then i thought the rockers looked like assclowns.

you know who else looked awesome??

and you know what doesn't look awesome??
    Bondage gear isn't for old men...
    I AM FOREVER- Master Shake

I mean I liked Face-Off, but I didn't go to college either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine~! View Post
    Demolition also had much better entrance music.

Here comes the Ax, here comes the Smasherrr

Epic.
    I dunno
    "Grrrrrrrrrrwhat a rush! *Guitar*"
    Was fairly effective.

Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

No, Demolition was not the better team in terms of work-rate. Bill Eadie (The Masked Superstar) could barely move when he was in Demolition, which is why they eventually got a third member of Demolition to come in.

Eadie was a better worker than the other members of Demolition, and the Road Warriors, combined, but that would've been when he wasn't injury-plagued. By the time he was with Demolition he had a bad back, among other injuries.

Both appearance-wise, and in terms of work-rate, the Road Warriors were superior.
    i disagree based only on what i've seen(demolition in the WWF and the road warriors DVD set). eadie past his prime or not impressed me more with the work he did as part of demolition than what i've seen from the road warriors.

lol, are you for real? The Road Warriors got their start in Georgia (NWA territory) back in '82. What ultimately became WCW was essentially what was left of the NWA. WCW (formerly Jim Crockett Promotions, but bought out by Ted Turner) dissolved itself from the NWA schtick.
    glad to give you laugh and all but yeah i'm for real and i knew that they started in georgia and that they were also part of the AWA. like i said i watched their dvd set.

I can't believe there are people who actually think (or thought) that the Road Warriors got their start in the WWF. I guess it has to do with when they started watching pro wrestling, and which promotions they were paying attention to.......I've come across people who thought Demolition were the originals with the gimmick, and the Road Warriors were imitators who turned out to be better (Road Warriors being the imitators was obviously false), but you're the first person I've come across who thought the Road Warriors got their start in the WWF.
    i'm really not sure where you got this idea, the question wasn't where they got their start, it was did they work for WCW before they worked for the WWF.

Your earlier claim on the Road Warriors being all make-up & roids? That's better reserved for those two (Barbarian & Warlord, aka "The Powers of Pain").......Barbarian & Warlord had a cool look, but they were horrible workers.
    you won't get much of an argument out of me there, all i said was they looked awesome.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

i disagree based only on what i've seen(demolition in the WWF and the road warriors DVD set). eadie past his prime or not impressed me more with the work he did as part of demolition than what i've seen from the road warriors.

glad to give you laugh and all but yeah i'm for real and i knew that they started in georgia and that they were also part of the AWA. like i said i watched their dvd set.

i'm really not sure where you got this idea, the question wasn't where they got their start, it was did they work for WCW before they worked for the WWF.

you won't get much of an argument out of me there, all i said was they looked awesome.
    Lbo, he was clearly a LoD superman and was insulted at the mere suggestion that a person doesn't know their entire history.

In fairness his Narcissus run wasn't that bad. Although I credit Bobby Heenan for that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD6EYDIZSD4

Speaking of Lex one part of this that always bugs me to this day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w7RT...eature=related

Lex didn't really bodyslam Yokozuna. Yeah he picked him up but it looked like a half assed bodyslam. Hogan's bodyslam to Andre The Giant was more legit. Also I was kinda rooting for Macho Man when that contest was going on
    Last edited by Legato; 08-25-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

I've never actually heard anyone talk about how Barbarian wasn't a good worker. I always thought he moreorless was.

The gimmicks he had certainly allowed whatever issues he had to be explained away. (he's a barbarian! he's a monster!) And he always had a fearsome look which worked - I preferred him in his WWF solo run (with the antlers!) and Faces of Fears days, versus the Powers of Pain era.

Did they ever come right out and say that?
    I thought it was just naturaly placed into the story without an announcement. He was still announcing when they recongnized that he ran the company if i remeber right.
    They would've done this in 1997, while Bret was turning heel/anti-American. By the time "Mr. McMahon" was born (after the screwjob) it was pretty well known by even the casualest of fans.

But before then, it was always "known" that Vince was in charge - those who knew the business knew, casual fans might but it never much meant anything one way or the other. And whenever Vince was in the line of fire (like when Piper hit him with a chair in '91 during his feud with Flair) it was treated as a big hubbub, where even kids would get the implied impression that Vince was much more important than the commentator thing.

Plus guys like Piper and Ventura and Lawler would say little things here and there to acknowledge it to get a tongue in cheek reaction out of anyone who "got it."

Heck, Ventura would on occassion mention his lawyer - with a "Who?" or "Oh, that guy, don't start" kind of reaction from Vince.