Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
    Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

got a 2pack of the steamboat & WCW rise and fall dvd sets for my B-day a few weeks ago. the 30min ironman between rude and steamboat is freaking AWESOME. rick rude is truly underrated imo.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

Quote Originally Posted by lboinyamouf4sho View Post
    got a 2pack of the steamboat & WCW rise and fall dvd sets for my B-day a few weeks ago. the 30min ironman between rude and steamboat is freaking AWESOME. rick rude is truly underrated imo.
    I hear him talked up quite a bit, on the interwebs and on the various dvd...things WWE does. He isn't talked up quite as often as, say, Steamboat (who you brought up) but he's alsobeen dead for over a decade, which tends to make people remember less.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I hear him talked up quite a bit, on the interwebs and on the various dvd...things WWE does. He isn't talked up quite as often as, say, Steamboat (who you brought up) but he's alsobeen dead for over a decade, which tends to make people remember less.
    Well that would be more because of what Rick Rude did on Nitro.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by gryhpon View Post
    Well that would be more because of what Rick Rude did on Nitro.
    I dunno if that has anything to do with it. People still think Hulk Hogan is a star and he's been on TNA for a few years, and that is certainly much lower profile than WCW was when Rude was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I dunno if that has anything to do with it. People still think Hulk Hogan is a star and he's been on TNA for a few years, and that is certainly much lower profile than WCW was when Rude was there.
    Except whar Rude did was humilating to McMahon.

Quote Originally Posted by gryhpon View Post
    Except whar Rude did was humilating to McMahon.
    Vince has no control over what the fans think, it's not like removing Benoit from history of the WWe made people stop thinking he was good.

Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

when people talk about rude they talk more about him being a great heel, prematch schtick, his gimmick, or antics during some feuds. i don't think he gets his due for what he could do in the ring. i LOVE his performance in the 92 G1 climax and it's a shame how many people never saw it.
    Last edited by lboinyamouf4sho; 05-03-2012 at 04:18 AM.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

when people talk about roode they talk more about him being a great heel, prematch schtick, his gimmick, or antics during some feuds. i don't think he gets his due for what he could do in the ring. i LOVE his performance in the 92 G1 climax and it's a shame how many people never saw it.
    I'm almost postive there was a WWE dvd where they put over his work hardcore.
    I know they brought it up in the ultimate warrior dvd, amazed at how good he was for getting a decent match out of warrior.
    Another thing to remember about this though, is that a lot of people on the internet discussing wrestling are my age, i was like...(went to check) i was 7 when he left WWE, i didn't know what made up a good match when i was 6 years old, but the character was memorable.
    It's like people put over Steamboat as a great worker, but we didn't know he was a good worker when we were kids. And Roode never had a super high profile match that the company says is one of the best ever on his resume because he was midcard.

You're still right in a way, i was just as young during Mr. Perfect, but i still remember him as a good wrestler. But Roode also had a pretty short career. A few years in WWE, then he left to do..something, WCW i think? But it was before WCW got hugely popular, and then he was around, but not as a wrestler.
    So it could just be a case of people not seeing a lot of his work and nothing more than that.

With Nigel McGuinness

thanks gryph
    COLOSSUS katya nightcrawler storm magik
    http://overpower.ca/tools/battlesites.php
    http://overpower.ca/downloads/
    "down with the machine" bray wyatt

Rude was awesome. He should have been world champion. He was that good, and way ahead of his time in terms of mic work.

I think he's simply not remembered quite as well because he was a mid-card guy that never became a world champion. When you have year long or multiple year long title reigns, it really puts the lions share of emphasis on 2-3 guys tops. And as a result guys like Rude, DiBiose, and Mr. Perfect were never able to really penetrate that glass ceiling.

Also I don't think he necessarily had that one big career defining match or moment in the WWE. His feud with Warrior was somewhat forgetable.... largely because he was feuding with the Warrior. Never really feuded with Logan. His Jake feud was probably the biggest most memorable thing he did up there..

He did do SUPER well in WCW. He was beating the Stings and the Flairs and the Steamboats... but WCW hadn't exploded yet. And his career was cut somewhat sort by injury.